Widget, the World Watcher

(ended 1991)

Widget, the World Watcher Fan Reviews (3)

7.2
  • The World Watches Widget!

I loved this program as a kid (you can probably tell by my "icon")!
    Widget is a "Watcher" that mistakenly gets sent to Earth, along with a Mega-brain unit (who is simply called "Mega Brain"). Mega Brain lives inside Widget's wrist-watch and is meant to help Widget solve the ecological problems (pollution, deforestation etc.) that could "plunge our world into peril". Although Mega Brain (who sometimes also makes new new inventions for Widget) can become easily disorientated and sometimes makes even minor problems more catastrophic.
    Along the way, Widget also meets two "earth boys" (Brian and Kevin) as well as an older teenage girl (Christine), who usually try and assist Widget on his various quests and missions.
    Of course there are also villains: Mega Slank, or Wratchet - (Wratchet looks like Widget, except in vile villain form), who are constantly causing mischief for our heroes.
    During the series run, Widget also visited places such as Australia (the outback - and the Great Barrier Reef), Paris and even the Amazon Rainforest.
    Although I think Widget was just another of those so-called "help the planet" type cartoons (much like "The Smoggies" or "Captain Planet), it still remains a cartoon that is still very-much talked about. Though it ended its run more than a decade ago and hasn't been seen on many TV stations since then.
  • A cool show with an important message.

Another of my childhood favourites, Widget was shown in the afternoons while I was at school so I taped it and rushed home to watch it. It was on twice a week. The whole idea was great. It was about a little purple alien called Widget who crash landed on Earth when he accidently powered up a space pod which had been set to autopilot while he was cleaning it. The pod had been intended for another "Watcher" of a higher rank who was coming to Earth to help some whales and dolphins who were in trouble. Widget was only an assistant. While he had been cleaning the pod he also found Mega Brain, a Mega Brain unit who was faulty. So Mega Brain went with him.
    They met Brian and Kevin, two brothers and befriended them. Widget was capable of shape shifting into other forms. However, whatever he turned into was always purple and vaguely resembled him in some way.
    They made quite a few episodes of this series, I'm not sure if I saw all of them but I saw most of them and I thoroughly enjoyed them too! I wish they made stuff like this these days. Definately good if they released a DVD set of it!
  • A show I watched when I was young

7.4
    Even though I know I'd hate it if I saw it these days, I can't bring myself to give it a bad review. Funny how you get sentimental about stuff like that. I used to watch this show about a little purple alien named Widget who could shapeshift and used his powers to save the world from potchers and pollution. I can't remember why he cared about earth but he did for some reason. This show seemed to rival Captain Planet with the message of taking care of the Planet. Even though people seem to remember Captain Planet and not this, as a kid I liked this show more.