Wife Swap Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

I feel sorry for those kids...

marysuperfly

[1]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 6
     So often when I see an episode of Wife Swap I end up thinking "I feel so sorry for those kids" because they don't really have a fighting chance sometimes.  The pirate children, for example, may enjoy "playing pirate" but 90% of the world (I'm guessing on the statistic) probably finds that ridiculous.  They would be ridiculed in the real world!  I just feel like so often we get to see how negatively kids are being affected  by their parents.  Any thoughts?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Esperanza99

[2]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 2
    I just watched Wife Swap and I feel REALLY sorry for those Redneck kids... GEEZ both the husband and wife were horrendous and mean why did they even sign up for it in the first place?? The Redneck wife called the other lady a slut because she wore more fashionable clothes and worked at a beauty parlor??? Beyond weird
    What a sorry couple the Ridgley Rodeo Rednecks I recon should be their new name, Quite frankly I'd be surprised if he didn't beat his wife too

xoJaymi

[3]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 1
    Yah that's true. I mean common now, you need to teach your kids how to make it in the real world, instill good morals and values. You don't teach them how to be a pirate. It's pathetic that the other mom had to pay their bills for them!

chocoholic411

[4]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 16
    The Haigwood Vs HessWood was pretty strange

dbcsdragon

[5]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 12
    I really feel sorry the the two daughters of the guy who lugs his family around in a motor home. The girls said they wanted to stay in one place so that they could have friends. But the father said he wasn't finished traveling yet.

dragonfly_pat

[6]Jan 2, 2008
    • level: 19
    Boy, do I agree about feeling sorry for the kids! Wow! I have just seen the latest installment of Wife Swap, and I have NEVER been so ashamed of anyone as I was of that beauty queen mother and father. What horrible people!!! There was a glint of hope for the young woman when she made a dinner, but other than that- she was awful! The children of the Quaker couple were okay, particularly the oldest girl. She was a doll!

Jemadari

[7]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 12

dragonfly_pat wrote:
    Boy, do I agree about feeling sorry for the kids! Wow! I have just seen the latest installment of Wife Swap, and I have NEVER been so ashamed of anyone as I was of that beauty queen mother and father. What horrible people!!! There was a glint of hope for the young woman when she made a dinner, but other than that- she was awful! The children of the Quaker couple were okay, particularly the oldest girl. She was a doll!

My sentiments exactly and their whole philosophy that being attractive opens doors may be true but once you get in those doors you have to stand on your own two feet and she couldn't even spell America

kmandichak89

[8]Mar 15, 2008
    I felt bad for the Mitchell kids. Both parents didn't show any emotion towards their kids and made them do a days worth of chores. The kids were not even allowed to have friends over. The kids looked emotionless. It looked like a prison. During the second part of the swap, the clown wife made the kids and their father dress up in clown clothes and have a circus. They also had a party and invited the neighborhood. They all had a great time, but when their mom got back, they said the had a losy time. When the husband and wife meet after two weeks, they didn't even show any emotion towards the other.

talkygirl

[9]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 9
    The kids are always put in the middle of the adults issues. I find this show facinating

dragonfly_pat

[10]May 14, 2008
    • level: 19
    Just about every time I watch Wife Swap I feel sorry for the children. Generally, I have no sympathy for the adults. They have chosen their own lives, but the children have to fit into what the parents want. Usually, I feel sorry for the kids from both families.

vsikes

[11]May 15, 2008
    Children are at the mercy of their parents. I come from a traditional two parent family where they taught us to work hard, have good manners, and be respectful. It worked for us and I have taught my kids the same lessons. I am horrified at some of the families they show on this program. It's so sad in a way.

Out_Tonight

[12]Jun 29, 2008
    I also feel sorry for some of the kids on Wife Swap. They are going to have a hard time making it in the real world. The kids that are allowed to do what they want aren't going to have the discipline to succeed in the real world. The kids of the super controlling parents are also going to have a hard time because Mom and Dad won't be stand over their shoulders, telling them what to do. They won't know what to do with their new found freedom.

Blazer600

[14]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 4

Out_Tonight wrote:
    I also feel sorry for some of the kids on Wife Swap. They are going to have a hard time making it in the real world. The kids that are allowed to do what they want aren't going to have the discipline to succeed in the real world. The kids of the super controlling parents are also going to have a hard time because Mom and Dad won't be stand over their shoulders, telling them what to do. They won't know what to do with their new found freedom.

Good point.

WingedAlchemist

[15]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 13
    I feel bad for the moms in the Tassie/Tyson wife swap. That little girl of the Bondsman guy called her names and LIED to her father that the woman had called her a b!tch and all that other stuff. It makes me not want to have kids the way those kids behaved! The woman had every reason to throw the stuff away that was on the floor, if they weren't going to keep it somewhere it wouldn't get damaged to begin with, then it probably wasn't worth much. But the other family, the dad was much too strict. A good halfway point for both families would be best... I mean, I am the child of a military dad, but he didn't make us make our beds so he could bounce a quarter off it or anything.

The way the father treated his kids, and the swapped wife... wow...

I wonder what possesses some of these people to get on tv like this? I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought she was disrespectful, unhygenic, and just a slob. And I bet her friends watched it, and potential employers as well. She'll be facing her actions down the road, and it won't be pleasant. Who'd want to hire a person like that?

I guess I just don't like young people much, even though I want to have my own family. It's hypocritical I suppose, but I think the main reason I dislike today's young people is because they're just like that girl, no discipline, and complete disrespect for anyone who has basic authority.

Rattrap007

[16]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 14
    I too feel guilty for most of the kids. Sometimes you get a good family. One I saw was a poor family from Kentucky that has to hunt to put extra food on the table. They seemed like good kids. But right now in the background there is an episode with a Wicca family that believe and talk to elves and fairies. That is a little insane., The oldest child who can't be more than 12ish is now home schooled and is learning the art of Wicca. I typically see one family is ok with a few little problems, the other family is a group of whack jobs. Also one family will refuse to change anything for the second week. Also when the changes needed are obvious the family still refuses. Saw one where the kids are run ragged with hectic schedules. The new mom said school should come first. At the check up on the families, they added even more things to the kids schedules.

XiaolinPrincess

[17]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 21
    I'm watching the episode now where the husbands from the Paiss family and the Davis family swap families. It's sad that the Paiss family's 2 young daughters have not been anywhere in their lives past going next door. The family is eco-friendly and it proves how people have gone back to the hippie ages without Woodstock and Jimi Hendrix. God I hate hippies!

And the Davis family's front yard looked so bad that even the police were involved. Okay, are the police even supposed to do that? And that family couldn't even tell how bad one of the rooms smelled. I think families don't mind everyone in America watching the flaws of the family or the house.

TheDarkOrc10

[18]Jan 31, 2011

Esperanza99 wrote:
    I just watched Wife Swap and I feel REALLY sorry for those Redneck kids... GEEZ both the husband and wife were horrendous and mean why did they even sign up for it in the first place?? The Redneck wife called the other lady a slut because she wore more fashionable clothes and worked at a beauty parlor??? Beyond weird What a sorry couple the Ridgley Rodeo Rednecks I recon should be their new name, Quite frankly I'd be surprised if he didn't beat his wife too

Your either insane or are talking about a different episode. If you are referring to the family with no electricty then the woman who had loads of plastic surgery had actually ruined her face, was bipolar (constantly abusive and insultive, like a child) and would find 8 out of ten men telling her to FXXX off. The "hillbillys" were a nice group that had respect but the one thing that loony "chantelle Nicole" or something like that, did was to give them a computer, they should have kept that. She was a total nut job, and I would have told her to get the F out my house too, when u go to someones house your suupposed to judge people on how u find them, not on the fact you think they should be wasting **** loads of cash on nothing much at all. Respect of being in someone elses home and Class is what she lacked, which the hillbillys sort of had but that rich self obssesed woman who had neglected her children and husband, nope nothing there. Incidently she once looked like a decent person in an older photograph before she screwed it all up. Mabye u arent talking about the same ep though? Thats my only explanation for your comment

Rattrap007

[19]May 31, 2012
    • level: 14
    Saw one recently that made me feel bad for one poor kid. I think he was about 9. His mom is a psychiatrist if i remember correctly. Anyway the dad goes with the kid to school each morning and helps him clean his desk and make it perfectly straight before school starts. That has to be a little embarrassing for the boy. The parents meet with the teacher once to twice A WEEK. I can understand meeting with them a few times now and then to make sure the kid is on track, but twice a week? Also they make the poor boy look about colleges... at age NINE!! The camera cuts to him saying (in a confession/interview shot) he didn't think it was fair and he just wanted to be a normal kid. You could hear his voice break a little bit and see how upset he was. I felt so bad for him. The kids have to do chores around the house to earn gold stars. If they don't do it right, then they lose a star. The next shot is the kid and mom in his bed room. She says "What is this towel doing on the closet floor?" The kid hops off the bed with the reaction of "oh crap!" kinda fear, not a normal "oops I'll fix that" reaction. If the kids earn enough gold stars that week they get to participate in Family movie and pizza night. Really the kids have to EARN the right to spend time with you? what happens when they don't? Are they put in their rooms?

I felt so bad for the kid. If I had a kid like him, I'd want to spend lots of free time with him. He shouldn't have to work for family fun time.