Wife Swap Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

This Show offically jumps the shark

AxPrincessElisa

[1]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    I loved this show when it was 'real' my dad does too. But the episodes are very very stupid and I think they are made up. seriously, a family full of Wicca Witches, a family that`s life is ruled by Medivel (drat, I can`t spell) life? I don`t think so.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bygnel

[2]Mar 29, 2006
    • level: 8
    I agree it is getting a bit silly and far fetched, like the "side show freak" family this past Monday.. But I guess they ran out of "rich family/poor family" shows quickly..

chilliestwilly

[3]Apr 6, 2006
    I've only seen a few, but the show used to be really good. This past week's episode featured a conservative southern family & some punk rockers. My local paper's TV Guide said that this wasn't a repeat, but I swear I saw it already. I rarely get a chance to watch it to see some of the ridiculous stuff mentioned, like the Wiccan family, or the sideshow fraks, but the freaks sounds pretty good.

Hiryuu_Daisuke

[4]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    AxPrincessElisa wrote:
    I loved this show when it was 'real' my dad does too.

It was never real.

guytwo

[5]May 2, 2006
    • level: 7
    True, but the culture clash is real.

Last nights show (5-1-06) gave cowboys a bad name. First the "cowboy wife" calls the other wife a slut and then the "cowboy husband" tries to beat-up the other husband. A couple of jerks.

Bygnel

[6]May 5, 2006
    I agree, then the cowboy backs it up by saying the guy got a "cowboy education"? What an idiot.. I hope that guy sues him for real and then he can get a "moral lesson". .

Tsujj8789

[7]May 6, 2006
    • level: 6
    live with it. If you dont like it go watch somthing on PBS.

guytwo

[8]May 8, 2006
    • level: 7
    1. PBS has some great shows. Thanks for the reminder.
    2. We have a right to our opinion. The "Cowboy" family are jerks.
    3. We are "living with it."
    4. You live with that.

KnowledgeGuru

[9]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 23
    the reason why they have such strange families is that they are looking for the complete opposite........for example what is the exact opposite of a catholic family..........the freaky witches.

AugustDill

[10]Sep 10, 2006
    Not much of it is real at all.
    Even the fights are probably staged, egged and egged on.

ulij20

[11]Oct 3, 2006

I watched it for the first time last week and I knew right off the bat that it wasn't real.  I mean, a family who is so into sports pitching all the trophies that they all worked so hard for?  I don't think so.  And I realize that family was very busy and stuff, but giving up sports altogether - a classic example of going overboard the other way.  The kid's teammates would have been giving him the business for quitting the team like that.  I watched the show only twice (the two episodes were shown last week), and that's enough for me.  I agree - the show has jumped the shark already. 

I do like Nanny 911 and Supernanny, though.  Although I'm pretty sure that's not real either, at least it does have more credibility than Wife Swap. 

lcabel

[12]Nov 3, 2006

Don't fool your self - wicca is very real - there are alot of youth that are into this evil.  I have a daughter and grandson who are into it and they have nothing but trouble because of it, but they think it gives them power. They also think Jesus was a white witch.

They live with me and they had left most of the rituals and etc alone - that was a condition for them to move in -- they had quit cussing and etc -- as soon as this show was over they started cussing and being mad not to mention disrespectful to me. 

Coffeegod

[13]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 5
    Wicca is far from evil.
    Edited on 01/16/2007 2:12pm

marysuperfly

[14]Jan 26, 2007
    I won't get in on the Wicca debate, but I have wondered about some of the families being real.  I know Wicca exists, so that wasn't shocking, but the Pirates and Medieval family (to name a couple) threw me off a little.  Where do they find these people?

jww047

[15]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 16
    THIS SHOW IS REAL! My cousin was on this show on the first episode.

kareeb

[16]Jan 15, 2008

I think that the show is real but it has lost its purpose. In the first seasons, at least the families seemed to learn a bit from each other. These days its about as much name calling as the Real World and it doesn't seem like they learn anything. It feels like the network probably started picking raunchier families that are more opinionated to be on the show for ratings. I liked Trading Spouses better anyway.

Ilovthevu

[17]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think this show just jumped the shark this year. It's the same stuff they did before. One likes to clean, and one doesn't. One is a military person, and the other person isn't. Obviously, they ran out of ideas with no writers. I think it's time it get's canceled which is quite .

Ayane_Isuzu

[18]Feb 16, 2008

I don't watch this show very often, but last week's episode of the Liberal Christian (LC) and Conservative Christian (CC) families looked intriguing. Man, was I wrong!

For the first half hour, I kept waiting for the grown ups to appear. No wonder the kids looked so uncomfortable, the adults were acting like toddlers throwing tantrums! BOTH husbands were incredibly obnoxious and I noticed each one got all alpha male when challenged. Althought the CC husband reacted with more hostility when his dominance was challenged. He says his kids are "free thinkers" - yeah, but only to a point. Then he scooped the daughters up to "save" them from the LC mom's "brainwashing". In the end, he helps out in the kitchen, and acts like he deserves a medal for it.("I cooked broccoli florettes, yay me!")

And the other dad; the man never shut up! If not bragging about his degrees (yes, it's one thing to be proud of intellectual accomplishments, but he went too far), he was blurting out his opinions at the wrong moment. But I give him credit for finding tears short circuited the CC mom's arguments very nicely.

And the moms. Both were condescnding towards each dad,and the other family's beilefs,plus towards the kids, although the CC mom did tone it down when the LC dad cried. The LC mom didn't lose her cool in the face of the CC dad's hostile attitude, she just kept charging ahead. Although she could have made better choices of strong women for the "speed devotionals".

All in all, this was a piss-poor choice of Christian families due to the immaturity of the parents. I could see the kids cringing each time the adults opened their mouths. And thanks to the LC mom's ham-fistedness, poor Columbia will have her dream of being a doctor squashed before its time.

zan4

[19]Nov 17, 2008
    • level: 10
    marysuperfly wrote:
    I won't get in on the Wicca debate, but I have wondered about some of the families being real. I know Wicca exists, so that wasn't shocking, but the Pirates and Medieval family (to name a couple) threw me off a little. Where do they find these people?
    i think they just over show there hobbies for the show.. i doubt that they dress and act like that all the time..Am pretty sure the kids have a sence of reality when they go out of the house..But to make it good tv..They have to over show the stuff that make the family different...