Wilfred Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXXIn Season

Perfect example of why Some American TV is rubbish

Pretender_84

[1]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 7

Why would you take a very funny tv show that is made in Australia and remake it with US actors? I really can't think of anything more disrespectful, it's not like they're speaking a different language, it's English. No doubt it will be word for word the same as the Australian version just with different actors poorly portraying the Aussie style of humour.

There have been numerious shows that have tried this and failed miserably (UK ones as well). The only show that has managed to do this successfully is The Office, and that only came into it's own when it stopped copying the english series and went its own way. Why can't the US just show the original Australian version????

Edited on 06/14/2011 1:04am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EricWelsch

[2]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 4
    Did you do any research on this? The guy who co-created and starred in the original, stars in this version as well. So before you lose a gasket, you may wanna check some things out. That's all.

Poe13187

[4]Jun 22, 2011
    • level: 6

Personally I'd rather watch the version with actors and things I'm more familiar with. I doubt it will be identical to the aussie version anyways. Anything that gets us less reality TV is fine by me anyways.

mordred790

[5]Jun 24, 2011
    • level: 2

C'mon you have to give a show a chance... yes I agree maybe the short tropfest film and the 2 aussie seasons could be shown in the US (did you see the short yourself or just the season spawned from it?) - but at the same time what's wrong with continuing the idea with Jason Gahn and Elijah Wood - from the first episode of the US season so far I like it. It's more dark comedy than the original... same idea... darker... great actors... bigger audience... I just like this idea.

There's been other remade shows where nothing was added (eg the remake of Red Dwarf from the UK which didn't get past pilot) - but this one looks good so far.

amarkec

[6]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 5
    Pretender_84 wrote:

Why would you take a very funny tv show that is made in Australia and remake it with US actors? I really can't think of anything more disrespectful, it's not like they're speaking a different language, it's English. No doubt it will be word for word the same as the Australian version just with different actors poorly portraying the Aussie style of humour.

Disagree. I watched the Australian version after watching the American. I thought the US version was more polished. Had I watched the Australian version first, I don't think I'd have stuck with it. Certainly isn't word for word identical, but of course there are close similarities. Where the Oz show failed the US one has tidied up.
    I'm British, and often don't like US remakes of classic Britcon. I certainly didn't like the US version of Outrageous fortune, the OZ was miles better. However, in this case it is the rare example of the yanks improving on the original.
    Edited on 06/25/2011 1:57am

pamhalpert

[7]Jul 2, 2011
    • level: 14
    Pretender_84 wrote:

There have been numerious shows that have tried this and failed miserably (UK ones as well). The only show that has managed to do this successfully is The Office, and that only came into it's own when it stopped copying the english series and went its own way. Why can't the US just show the original Australian version????

Right. Because we all know that Aussies are known for their brilliant sense of humor. The American version actually has a star in the series in Elijah Wood. Australia, England, New Zealand, ect...None of you can compete with American stars. We wrote the book on celebrities...You just read it.!!

RichardColema

[8]Jul 5, 2011

You forgot about Sanford and Son which was based off of the UK's Steptoe and son. Three's Company based off of the UK's Man of the House.

Dear John based off of the UK version. Too Close for Comfort based off of the UK's Keep it in the Family.

All in the Family = UK's version Till Death Do Us Part. These were all successful US remakes. And it goes both ways if you check here there's plenty of US shows that have been remade abroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_programmes_based_on_American_television_series

zeddyp

[9]Jul 6, 2011
    • level: 9

Pretender_84 wrote:

QQ

waterbender6025

[10]Jul 26, 2011
    • level: 12

amarkec wrote:

Disagree. I watched the Australian version after watching the American. I thought the US version was more polished. Had I watched the Australian version first, I don't think I'd have stuck with it. Certainly isn't word for word identical, but of course there are close similarities. Where the Oz show failed the US one has tidied up. I'm British, and often don't like US remakes of classic Britcon. I certainly didn't like the US version of Outrageous fortune, the OZ was miles better. However, in this case it is the rare example of the yanks improving on the original.

If you think the oz version needed to be "tidied up" then the show wasn't intended for you, the australian version has a dark humour to it but thats what made it great. The US version ripped the guts out of the show and turned it into a typical overly bright american tv series that is just pure rubbish. Jason Gann is the only reason why this show is still worth watching

RaveDave001

[11]Jul 29, 2011
    • level: 10
    As a Brit, i watched the original aussie version a few years back when it was aired and loved it, i have been really looking forward to the American version. my feelings on it are that it has been changed alot from the aussie version, but for me it isn't better or worse just different, the addition of a boyfriend for Jenna is something i don't like but thats probably done to give the show somewhere to go if it gets more seasons.

scottd2242

[12]Aug 5, 2011
    • level: 14

waterbender6025 wrote:

amarkec wrote:

Disagree. I watched the Australian version after watching the American. I thought the US version was more polished. Had I watched the Australian version first, I don't think I'd have stuck with it. Certainly isn't word for word identical, but of course there are close similarities. Where the Oz show failed the US one has tidied up. I'm British, and often don't like US remakes of classic Britcon. I certainly didn't like the US version of Outrageous fortune, the OZ was miles better. However, in this case it is the rare example of the yanks improving on the original.

If you think the oz version needed to be "tidied up" then the show wasn't intended for you, the australian version has a dark humour to it but thats what made it great. The US version ripped the guts out of the show and turned it into a typical overly bright american tv series that is just pure rubbish. Jason Gann is the only reason why this show is still worth watching

Overly bright american tv series? I dont think we're watching the same show.

JakeMaddern

[13]Aug 28, 2011

As an Australian I cringed and couldn't watch at the attempted remake of Kath and Kim.
    The remake missed the mark so horribly that with no industry experience at all, I'm pretty sure I could've written a script that betterparalleledthe Aussie series in the US culture. The original series is based on Australians' love of poking fun at ourselves, using vernacular and crude social stereotypes of the middle class in the 'burbs. (also see 'The Castle')

The original Wilfred aired on on SBS, a government funded alternative that supports Australian independent film and tv, such as Wilfred and Kath and Kim, the point being it's more concerned about culture than ratings.

I've been watching the US Wilfred religiously, and I really like it. They've managed to Americanise it to be a hit, and not attempted to simply remake it with an US cast. Jason Gann's presence with the Australian accent neither makes it less American nor disjointed, it just adds to the character.

I don't want to compare the two series, because they are very different, written for different cultures, and I find them equally watchable, though I need to pay my patriotic duty and say the original is always going to be the best.