We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Will & Grace Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

Final Episode - Your Thoughts

jedicathiecat

[41]May 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    OnE_CenT_X wrote:
    Will and Grace series finales is one of the best finales I've seen if not the best. Friends was predictable, Everybody Loves Raymond was okay but didn't feel like it was ending, Seinfeld was just Seinfeld but Will and Grace finally was so smart and so beautifully done that I wished I watch the show from the very start. They did something that others shows didn't think of which was what would happen to the characters in the future, which was so very smart I wonder why other shows didn't think of it. The things with finales are that you’re never satisfied at the end, you want more, but with this finale I was satisfied and happy to see how they end up at the end, it’s very gratifying. I love how Sean and Megan did "Unforgettable" at the end of the show, it was a nice touch and I actually felt sad and wanted to cry but didn't because you know I'm a MAN, ARRRGHHH. All in all Thanks to everyone at Will and Grace for 8 great years and BRAVO!

Mad About You ended with a finale of this same type.. a view into the future 20 some odd years later.. so it has been done before.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DesertLynx83

[42]May 18, 2006
    • level: 10
    wgchief wrote:
    but one thing that i cant wrap my brain around is that WILL AND GRACE DIDNT TAKE FOR 20 YEARS!, how sad is that. two eppys ago Will said, ill be there through diapers, and college etc. and he wasnt. They are just too glood of friends to not talk for that long...

Well, when you're angry, weird things can happen, but I agree.

jedicathiecat

[43]May 18, 2006
    not to mention how on earth did they manage to avoid each other for twenty years and still remain friends with Jack and Karen.. not to mention how did Ben and Lila avoid ever meeting until college with Jack and Karen involved. Did I miss part of the finale' showing that they had a big fall out with Jack and Karen or something.. otherwise I don't see how this was really possible for Ben and Lila to have never met before.. let alone seen pictures of one another at Jack and Karen's home.

Random862

[44]May 19, 2006
    • level: 7
    I managed to figure out how to work my VCR and taped it to watch.  It was a good finale overall, but I didn't really like how they had Will and Grace fall out with one another for so many years like they had. 

Jack weathy and Karen totally broke, and them getting together in the end really through me for a loop.  It seems that they are carrying the torche of "Will and Grace".

I did like that they ended up all together at the end.

I bet it was a very hard episode for them all to do. I imagine that they broke down in tears during the taping.

jedicathiecat

[45]May 19, 2006
    for me.. Jack and Karen winding up living together and Will and Grace's kids getting married were the best part of the whole show!! I loved both of those parts.. I just don't like how they ended will and grace in love forever with vince and leo.. I am a broken record.. hear me skip and forgive please.. Leo is a jerk.. and vince was NOT a good match for Will at all. Heck.. Kevin could have left Kyra and made a better companion for will than vince did, or Jack even.

tvfanatic184

[46]May 19, 2006
    • level: 7
    I enjoyed the finale. It was sad yet a satisfying ending. I like seeing J & K end up living together..I've always thought of them as a more wild and crazy parallel Will & Grace. However, am I the only one who wished they showed the big fight? I mean, Will is entering his apartment after bringing the laundry down, and then we cut to 2 years later. Other than that, great finale!

cris_co

[47]May 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hated, hated ,hated the ending. After all the years together, to just flat out not be in each others lives all those 20 years, Worst ending ever since Mad about You.

cris_co

[48]May 19, 2006
    After we the viewers devoted 8 years to the Show We deserved a MUCH BETTER ENDING, I know they were basically having Ben & Lila do what Will & Grace couldn't but I wanted Will & Grace to have a happier ending not their kids I did not devote nor spend 8 years watching to be cheated out of a happy ending. All I got was the fact they did NOt look nor seem happy. Producers you missed the boat.

pisceandreams

[49]May 19, 2006
    • level: 40

tvfanatic184 wrote:
    However, am I the only one who wished they showed the big fight? I mean, Will is entering his apartment after bringing the laundry down, and then we cut to 2 years later. Other than that, great finale!

I agree, that would have been nice to see-- the big fight!

I have to watch this again to really feel the effects of it. I felt teary-eyed, but it's rare that I cry over something the first time through because I don't want to miss anything. I think I'll watch it by myself over the weekend and I'm sure there will be water works...

So many people are upset that Will & Grace didn't talk for so many years, but that seems realistic to me. I like the way the finale was done, by showing that over time all things can be forgotten and that true friendships will last.

Probably the saddest/most emotional part for me was near the end when they showed Will & Grace on the phone, just like in the pilot. I was covered in goosebumps and ready to cry, but that will have to wait until my second viewing.

Good job overall! Couldn't have ended it better! Good night, Will & Grace...
    Edited on 05/19/2006 6:30am

beaverhousin

[50]May 19, 2006

jedicathiecat wrote:
    not to mention how on earth did they manage to avoid each other for twenty years and still remain friends with Jack and Karen.. not to mention how did Ben and Lila avoid ever meeting until college with Jack and Karen involved. Did I miss part of the finale' showing that they had a big fall out with Jack and Karen or something.. otherwise I don't see how this was really possible for Ben and Lila to have never met before.. let alone seen pictures of one another at Jack and Karen's home.

Actually, it made perfect sense to me. The episode never said they never saw each other at all in twenty years, just that they grew apart. Maybe they saw each other every few years, more like acquaintances than friends. They might've known that their kids were going to college, but never found out which college the other was going to. Lila and Ben might've met briefly a few times as kids, but that doesn't mean they would recognize each other as adults. Ben might've seen a picture of some woman named Grace and her daughter Lila once at his uncle Jack's house, but there's no way he would deduce that this girl in front of him is the same Lila.  And even if Lila knew that her mom had a friend who had a son named Ben, doesn't mean it would instantly hit her that the person across the hall from her is the same person.
    Edited on 05/19/2006 10:07am
    Edited 2 total times.

LukesDiner

[51]May 19, 2006
    • level: 3

No finale is ever perfect and won't ever please all of the fans, but I thought this one was as good a finale as I've seen in many many years. Certainly the best sitcom finale I've watched, maybe ever. It let us know what happened to the 4 of them and in the end, no matter how long they went without seeing one another, they ended up together, the 4 of them, the way it should be. It was well done, lot of funny, but also touching moments. For me, it was a very satisfying finale. I'm glad none of the 4 died, and that Rosie was still around and that they didn't do something silly like have Jack and Will end up together. The only thing I'd have changed is to have had Grace not end up with Leo, but she had to be with someone and I guess he was the best option(?), though Ed Burns would've been my choice for her. I'm just glad that Grace and Will did not end up raising the child together and living together. Those 2 needed to spend some time apart to find their own happiness and they did.

LittleMegFan

[52]May 19, 2006
    • level: 23
    I liked the finale but am I the only one that feels we should have seen some sort of emotional moment between Grace and Karen? and then Will & Jack???? They seemed to focus on Will & Grace and then Jack & Karen, but not so much on the other friendships. And the finale also seemed kind of rushed to me. Like they kind of just threw it together. But other than I did like it. I like that we got to see the future and all that and that they're all going to be ok.

jedicathiecat

[53]May 19, 2006
    beaverhousin wrote:
    jedicathiecat wrote:

Actually, it made perfect sense to me. The episode never said they never saw each other at all in twenty years, just that they grew apart. Maybe they saw each other every few years, more like acquaintances than friends. They might've known that their kids were going to college, but never found out which college the other was going to. Lila and Ben might've met briefly a few times as kids, but that doesn't mean they would recognize each other as adults. Ben might've seen a picture of some woman named Grace and her daughter Lila once at his uncle Jack's house, but there's no way he would deduce that this girl in front of him is the same Lila.  And even if Lila knew that her mom had a friend who had a son named Ben, doesn't mean it would instantly hit her that the person across the hall from her is the same person.

nope.. what your saying doesn't play.. because when they hear each other's voices while holding boxes at their kids doors they question whether will has hair or grace has had plastic surgery.. if they were occasionally in contact during that time they would know the answer to those basic questions..not to mention.. come on.. you know jack and karen, no way would they have not taken ben and lila out together.. that is just the way those two are.. they would have continued to connive to get will and grace back together.. and also to have ben an lila be friends. I am with the above poster that says they missed the boat on this one.. and while I am at it.. I agree. Mad About You's finale ticked me off as well.. for the exact same reason.. they had the future.. and that was great.. I wish more finale's would make use of the future... but they trashed Paul and Jamie's relationship.. made for a horrible end to a wonderful series..

same goes for what the writers did to will and grace in my opinion.

gentlespirit512

[54]May 19, 2006
    • level: 5
    Maybe Jack and Karen gave up. Maybe they stopped meddling. Maybe they finally figured that Will and Grace were happy, and left it alone. The Jack and Karen we saw in the end were not the same Jack and Karen we've seen for 8 years. It's possible that they had seen each other erratically for several years, then not for several more, because of life.

Bottom line is, everyone always wants to know what happened to the characters. We may not all like it, but we all do know what happened. The fans will never be 100% happy with an end because it is just that--an end. And no one wants the end to come.

wgchief

[55]May 19, 2006
    • level: 6

there were four major things i didnt like about the finale... one was W&G not staying friends for 20 years. Hence will's speech to her 2 eppys ago went void ( the whole " ill be there through diapers and college) Two was the lack of interaction between Jack/will...karen/grace, that megfan brought up.  Three was What in the heck ever happened to Grace Adler Designs?????????? that set fell off the face of the Earth. And four there was no mention of jack acting in the show at all. But other than that i really liked it.

gentlespirit512

[56]May 19, 2006
    Will would have been there for her if she had let him. She did go to Rome, so he was kind of out of luck there. Then they both got freakishly stubborn, which sounds like Will and Grace. You could tell after two years had passed, things weren't the same between them. I think they just weren't each other's top priority anymore. They always said "If you date Will or Grace, you date Will and Grace." But when you get married or find the love of your life, that changes. Your significant other is your partner for better or for worse. Your friends become people that you work with or parents from your kids' schools or people who are RIGHT THERE. They might as well have been a world apart, because they got caught up in their own lives. Both of them said they wouldn't change what happened.

beaverhousin

[57]May 19, 2006

jedicathiecat wrote:
    nope.. what your saying doesn't play.. because when they hear each other's voices while holding boxes at their kids doors they question whether will has hair or grace has had plastic surgery.. if they were occasionally in contact during that time they would know the answer to those basic questions..not to mention.. come on.. you know jack and karen, no way would they have not taken ben and lila out together.. that is just the way those two are.. they would have continued to connive to get will and grace back together.. and also to have ben an lila be friends. I am with the above poster that says they missed the boat on this one.. and while I am at it.. I agree. Mad About You's finale ticked me off as well.. for the exact same reason.. they had the future.. and that was great.. I wish more finale's would make use of the future... but they trashed Paul and Jamie's relationship.. made for a horrible end to a wonderful series..

same goes for what the writers did to will and grace in my opinion.

Well, like the other poster said, it's possible Karen and Jack simply gave up and stopped meddling.  It took them 2 years before they finally get them together that one time.  And even after they had a great night together, they still ended up drifting apart.  It wasn't because they were still mad at each other.  They just simply felt that their lives went separate ways.  I think even Karen and Jack would've given up at that point.  I mean they finally got them to stop fighting, what more could they possibly do?

Also, how do you know they were still good friends with Karen and Jack?  Maybe over the years, their friendship also suffered and they drifted apart as well.  And only when Will and Grace
    finally got back together, that the four of them became friends again.

beaverhousin

[58]May 19, 2006

wgchief wrote:
    there were four major things i didnt like about the finale... one was W&G not staying friends for 20 years. Hence will's speech to her 2 eppys ago went void ( the whole " ill be there through diapers and college)

Will made the speech with the assumption that he would be raising the child with her, as a coparent.  When she went off  to Rome with Leo and left him behind, I don't that was possible anymore.  And by the time they finally got back together, they both had their own children and husbands to take care of.  I think that pretty much breaks him from his promise, don't you think?

gentlespirit512

[59]May 19, 2006
    That's what I was trying to figure out. There was no sign of Will and Grace in the later years of Jack and Karen until the very end. So I don't assume that any of them stayed friends with each other either. Jack and Karen became very different people from the people who were friends with Will and Grace.

jedicathiecat

[60]May 19, 2006
    how old are most of you posting?? because as a mom at 38 yrs of age.. I can tell you.. my dearest friendships and the people I have been closest too.. even through MAJOR disagreements we have remained close and kept up with each other's lives.. unless there was a pain so deep it hurt to be near that person.

all this could in fact be just because how on earth could grace have wanted leo of all people.. harry connick jr aside... as an actor and musician/singer he is great, I enjoy watching him.. I never ever enjoyed seeing him play leo.. he had absolutely no chemistry with debra messing at all.. which is why it is so horrible they would put her with him in the end of the finale that so many people hoped would show she got a happy life.. don't say she looked happy at the end.. because she did not look happy at all.. nor did she act happy. Jack and Karen seemed Happy as all get out.. Grace and Will did not!!