Will & Grace Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

"Karen & Jack"

clrockny24

[1]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 2

http://www.popcrunch.com/will-grace-spinoff-karen-jack/

Anyone else hear about a spinoff titled "Karen & Jack?" I think it would be awesome, considering the Karen/Jack storylines were sometimes more interesting than whatever Will & Grace were doing.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Matt_Purosky

[2]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 25

I heard about this, and I really don't think it's a good idea. Here's why...

1. Joey. 'Nuff said. Even people (like me) who though Joey had the best story in Friends didn't like Joey that much (I mean, Joey wasn't bad, but it was just very mediocre if you ask me, and it bombed after two seasons.)

2. The show was called Will & Grace for a reason. Jack and Karen's subplots weren't really the main point of the show. They're just comedy relief. Exactly why Joey bombed - without the other five Friends, it was pointless. Although, one thing that could contradict this is Joey wasn't with Chandler, and he doesn't work w/o Chandler. Sean wanted to do a spinoff after WAG, but he reconsidered b/c of the way Joey bombed, though one reason was b/c Megan was busy with her talk show. But now that her talk show is canceled... but on the other hand, I don't think Joey would really be that good even with Chandler. Again, the other four Friends are to Joey and Chandler as Will and Grace are to Jack and Karen.

And other reasons.

PiperPrueLover4

[3]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 18
    Matt_Purosky wrote:

I heard about this, and I really don't think it's a good idea. Here's why...

1. Joey. 'Nuff said. Even people (like me) who though Joey had the best story in Friends didn't like Joey that much (I mean, Joey wasn't bad, but it was just very mediocre if you ask me, and it bombed after two seasons.)

2. The show was called Will & Grace for a reason. Jack and Karen's subplots weren't really the main point of the show. They're just comedy relief. Exactly why Joey bombed - without the other five Friends, it was pointless. Although, one thing that could contradict this is Joey wasn't with Chandler, and he doesn't work w/o Chandler. Sean wanted to do a spinoff after WAG, but he reconsidered b/c of the way Joey bombed, though one reason was b/c Megan was busy with her talk show. But now that her talk show is canceled... but on the other hand, I don't think Joey would really be that good even with Chandler. Again, the other four Friends are to Joey and Chandler as Will and Grace are to Jack and Karen.

And other reasons.

Karen & Jack isn't Joey. The writers of this show would be very much aware of the balance between heart and comedic relief that made Will & Grace so popular, and that which is needed to make any show popular.
    Edited on 02/13/2009 3:01pm

juan137946

[4]Jan 28, 2009
    • level: 13
    you guys shouldn't compare joey and the spinoff(if) they aren't the same thing

No1Slayerette

[5]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 9

I'm not to sure about a Karen & Jack spin-off. Don't get me wrong they were my two favourite characters in Will & Grace but most of the time those two characters were paired together with their storylines so I think they've done enough together already, otherwise it would basically be Will & Grace, you know, without the actual Will & Grace part. Despite this I would probably watch it still if it became a reality.

As for the comparison to Joey I don't think that's really fair. I loved Friends but hated the character of Joey in it. Despite this I still watched Joey and although it may. not have been to the same standard of Friends I still enjoyed watching it. Fans had just obviously had enough of Joey, which may well be the case of Karen & Jack, but I would think that most Will & Grace fans would still watch the spin-off if it was created.

PiperPrueLover4

[6]Mar 4, 2009
    I doubt fans would get sick of Jack and Karen... and the difference to Joey here is that Joey followed directly on from Friends, with this one they've given the fans a 3-year break.

djboy76

[7]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 15

I've heard this a lot, a lot, a Lot, a LOT, a LOT. Even in season 1, 10 1/2-odd years ago.

The problem with "Jack & Karen" is that they're not real people. The only reason they can do their Jack-and-Karen thing is because they're anchored by Will and Grace. I mean, considering W&G form the butt of most of their punchlines, what on earth are they going to do without their comic foils? Any replacesments would be seen as just that; replacements. Why they were in each others lives was tenuous to begin with, so working in replacements would be difficult at best. Otherwise they'd have to substantially re-tool the characters, and then you wouldn't have the "Jack & Karen" that you think you would. Jack and Karen might get the biggest laughs, but the heart of the series was W&G.

The analogy to Joey isn't really accurate; he's at least semi-real, whereas Jack and Karen are basically paper-thin; for example, what the h-e-ll do they do with their days?

I'm not the least bit surprised they're not doing a J&K; I think it would be a bad idea.

iamthelexx

[8]Mar 16, 2009

honey, we talked about this....

NO.

Pass me the vermouth...... and what is that pill? ...........

There will be no spin off of Karen and Jack.

Seriously (sorry) I don;t think that a spin off will work, and that's quite saddening. I would like to see Megan Mullalley in Desperate Housewives though, even if she could just do a Special Guest Star, and drop a SMALL, TINY, hint of Karen to it.

Saying Spinoffs dont work though is incorrect .......... there have been a few successful ones........

Hollyoaks in the UK was a spin off from Brookside....

Melrose Place, Beverley Hills 90210

yadda yadda yadda

PiperPrueLover4

[9]Mar 18, 2009
    And don't forget the most successful spinoff ever, Frasier.

I hope this will happen.
    Edited on 03/18/2009 3:54am

LittleMegFan

[10]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 23
    It was declared the other day that this is officially a rumor, and is not going to happen.

PiperPrueLover4

[11]Mar 23, 2009
    Aw crap!!! I was really excited about this! I'm going find and personally destroy the person who made up this rumour.

Jude_w

[12]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 1
    No spin-off please! Not only because Karen was the character I liked least! Even though, any spin-off with any pairing or individual character of the four original W&G would not work. As much as I would like to see more of W&G the original, spin-off wouldn't work! As for "Joey" well, I liked him the LEAST of all 6 friends, so no surprise that the spin-off didn't work. Karen spin-off wouldn't work either because she was the character I liked least. It's as simple as that... ;o)

ForumWatts

[13]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 2

Who Knows if it's a rumor or not, We'll just have to wait and see in fall, Most of the people who watched will and Grace said the show should have been Called Jack and Karen, I don't know about the spin off of the actual thing, if there plaining a spinoff then they might have something for it, i just wonder whats going to happen to will and grace.

But i don't think it'll last longer then Will & Grace if they make the show, since i don't think they actually have any idea's for a plot, i mean they could keep the same plot, people might like cause they REALLY miss Will & grace

Idea's for Jack and Karen are beyound me, they pretty much closed Will and grace up so no one can contiue it. so i there really is a spin off it might be good

Edie70

[14]Jun 19, 2012
    • level: 19
    Well, I always thought that Karen and Jack were much more interesting and hilarious than Will & Grace whose romantic escapades and problems I'd often find totally boring.