Will & Grace Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Summary of finale from those who went to the taping

jedicathiecat

[41]May 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    I didn't mind the fighting.. but I do mind they put W & G with jerks that were not right for them in the end.. and I don't think it was realistic that they took 20 yrs to forgive and forget and work things out.. this finale has some great moments, and some not great at all moments..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gentlespirit512

[42]May 19, 2006
    • level: 5
    The miracle is that they ever found each other again at all. Friendships die every day for less valid reasons for that. Their friendship won out, so I say BRAVO!

gentlespirit512

[43]May 19, 2006
    As for them being with jerks, maybe they didn't see their spouses as jerks. That's what matters, not other people's opinions. And people do change.

jedicathiecat

[44]May 19, 2006
    I want to take what you said to heart.. but just can't.. jerks don't often change that much.. and friendships that strong that break up cause LASTING emotional damage in people's lives.. they don't just move on and become happier and live fuller lives because they no longer see each other.. didn't you listen to what will and grace were saying to leo and vince when they were talking on the couch with their babies between them.. they were aching to be together.. I would have heard that as a mate and thought oh wow... my mate is in love with someone else.. and walked out right then and there forcing will and grace to accept the fact that they denied their entire lives.. no.. change that.. grace did not deny it.. she just accepted it.. she knew she loved will the whole time, but she knew he was not going to change.. so she moved on.. and with every guy she was ever with it was so obvious her heart belonged to will.

beaverhousin

[45]May 19, 2006
    • level: 2

jedicathiecat wrote:
    I want to take what you said to heart.. but just can't.. jerks don't often change that much.. and friendships that strong that break up cause LASTING emotional damage in people's lives.. they don't just move on and become happier and live fuller lives because they no longer see each other.. didn't you listen to what will and grace were saying to leo and vince when they were talking on the couch with their babies between them.. they were aching to be together.. I would have heard that as a mate and thought oh wow... my mate is in love with someone else.. and walked out right then and there forcing will and grace to accept the fact that they denied their entire lives.. no.. change that.. grace did not deny it.. she just accepted it.. she knew she loved will the whole time, but she knew he was not going to change.. so she moved on.. and with every guy she was ever with it was so obvious her heart belonged to will.

I didn't think that at all from that scene.  They were both very happy with their lives and they admitted that even if they could go back and change things, they wouldn't.  When they were sitting on the couch, yes they were expressing sadness about their friendship ending.  But they also accepted it as something that is just a natural part of their relationship, that it was inevitable.  A good husband would've seen that.

I don't think her heart "belonged" to Will.  Throughout the years, we've seen how their friendship has changed.   Grace no longer loved Will the way she used to love him.  And when Leo came into the picture, I think it was obvious that Grace needed a husband and a family of her own.  Sure, she would love to have Will in her life as well.  But a year in Rome and 2 years of not talking to him kind of has a way of destroying a friendship.  I don't think they were ever able to recover from it.

gentlespirit512

[46]May 19, 2006
    They might have recovered from it, but not been the same as they were. I didn't see anything that implied "they were aching to be together." Both of them missed each other like a missing limb for what was a long time. Again, go back to the scene when they're trying to find a time to get together. If they were aching to be together, they would have been. And Grace said when she left, "I don't live here anymore." The way I saw that was that she was saying, "I've moved on. And that's sad in a way, but okay."

gentlespirit512

[47]May 19, 2006
    And they didn't live happier and fuller lives because they didn't see each other, they lived happier and fuller lives because they did what made them happy. Yes, ended friendships do cause lasting emotional damage. My best friend moved on 9 years to live his life the way he chose. I don't dwell on that loss, but I do still feel it. But I wouldn't go back to that friendship and lose what I have now. Vince and Leo didn't break the friendship up, Will and Grace did. It was time. And when it was time, they came back together. I wish I had the chance, but like I said, I wouldn't trade my life now for being friends with someone in my past.
    Edited on 05/19/2006 5:20pm

KatieParet

[49]Dec 16, 2010
    sitcomfreak wrote:
    That was odd. I beg to differ with you, because these characters have very steady relationships, with each other. They have been friends, for the past 8 years, how can you possibly even entertain the notion that they don't have steady relationships? However, as an aspiring writer I am 100% that there are other routes they could have taken to make it less confusing. There's different avenues you can take in every story you write. This is not another moon landing. Sorry to disappoint you.

"However, as an aspiring writer I am 100% that there are other routes they could have taken to make it less confusing", as an aspiring writer, you should really edit what you write. Your comments aren't so subtle; it's fine if it's how you feel, but don't go out of your way to correct someone, act like, by being an 'aspiring writer' you have some kind of authoratative knowledge on the subject, but be too lazy to re-read the words you just wrote? It's actually quite hillarious.