Will & Grace

I Never Promised You An Olive Garden

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Dec 14, 1999 on NBC

• Will & Grace want to try some new things and Karen enlists Jack's assistance for a parent teacher conference.

Here is a fine example of the episode layout where Karen and Jack play off of their chemistry (and do it so well) and Will & Grace have their own subplot. This is also when there is no subplot connecting the two stories. A brief interaction is all that exists to keep the show from devloving into the Will & Grace show and the Karen & Jack show. However we get a chance to see the amazing chemistry that Karen & Jack share when they are interacting with one another. We get to see that Karen's cruelty exempts no one (not even Jack) but we get to see Jack experience some personal growth. Of course the dilemnia that Will & Grace experience is one that all friends can relate to. It's called a slump and the humor attached to it depicts so well that human discourse of what do you do when you want to try something new but your current friends don't. It's a little wacky and farefetched and within moments of the Apartment/Elevator scene you know a screw-up/mistake is coming. However you can't help but sit back and watch as the two friends embarass themselves in front of new friends while insulting the old ones.