Will & Grace

Last Ex To Brooklyn

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 02, 2003 on NBC

• When Leo invites his ex-girlfriend to a dinner party, Grace invites the gang to fill out the guest list and keep the night running smoothly. But once it comes out that Leo's ex is the one girl with whom Will had sex, Grace is consumed by jealousy.

From the opening scene at the coffee shop, it’s evident that the actors are in synch and are working from each other’s energy to produce a maximum amount of laughs. By the time the opening credits roll, I’d already busted a gut laughing so hard. The quality continues when we get to the dinner party, and Grace meets Diane, Leo’s ex-girlfriend. The two women immediately connect:

GRACE: Hi. You must be Diane. I'm Grace.
    DIANE: Hi. Uh-oh. Awkward moment. New wife meets the ex-girlfriend.
    GRACE: You think he traded down, I think he traded up.
    DIANE: You're a gorgeous redhead, I'm an adorable blonde. But we know we have something in common... brown hair.

Even Leo gets some laughs in this scene (and throughout the episode, which is something his character rarely provided).

The real fun begins when Will, Jack, and Karen arrive at the party and everyone begins having some wine and as soon as the introductions have been made, the bomb drops: Diane and Will had sex together, an encounter about which Grace Adler knew nothing! The episode becomes a web of jealousy and gloat—Grace is jealous of Diane for having had sex with Will, Diane is jealous of Grace because she has something meaningful with Will, Leo is jealous of Will because the two women are sparring over Will, Will gloats the fact that two straight women are sparring over him and not Leo—meanwhile Jack and Karen provide non-stop laughter throughout the "love quadrangle":

WILL: I made these kabobs for Grace once. She totally fell in love with the recipe.
    GRACE: Liar! How could I fall in love with your kabobs? I've never had them. Diane had your kabobs. But apparently, I wasn't good enough for your kabobs.
    LEO: Wait. Why do you care that Diane's had Will's kabobs, but you don't care that she's had mine and I've had hers?
    JACK: Silly. Diane is a girl. She doesn't have kabobs. She has a kagina.
    KAREN: And nice katits.

"Last Ex to Brooklyn" showcases how twisted romantic (or sexual) relationships can be in and of themselves, let alone when they begin to intermingle with other relationships. Also, this story invokes extreme cattiness from Grace because she’s confronted with another women who poses a threat to her relationship with Will. To me, this episode was far superior than "Dames at Sea," the season opener which aired the previous week, and it certainly was the highlight of the entire sixth season, which suffered from Debra Messing’s limited on-screen time due to her pregnancy. Every aspect of the episode—intriguing story, surprise plot twist, comedic timing, excellent writing—makes it a quintessential episode. And when I think about the best episodes of WILL & GRACE, this one comfortably rests amongst the top five. Its original airdate was back in Autumn 2003 and it’s still saved to my TiVo—I just can’t bring myself to part ways with it!