Will & Grace

The Definition of Marriage (1)

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Feb 09, 2006 on NBC

• A bittersweet episode with some touching moments, which sends us hurtling towards the series finale.

This was a fine and faintly sad episode which brought many beloved characters - Ellen, Joe, Larry and Bobbi - together, perhaps for the last time before the series ends; and, more importantly, it was an episode which established future directions for Will and Grace's lives.

Will finally has a worthy boyfriend; there is no better match than Taye Diggs. That Will always made do with neurotic or just plain strange partners (Vince) was an insult to his character. Intelligent and loving, he deserves someone as handsome, dignified and strong as James.

Grace was stunning in this episode. Despite the comedy-rich neuroses and grotesque quirks the writers have often given her, this wedding was her moment: she showed selflessness and devotion, and (for once) she was incredibly beautiful in her dress.

So Grace is pregnant. Of course, it was obvious from the moment she first felt sick, but the revelation was well-executed nonetheless. I disagree with other reviewers who state this re-opens the Grace/Leo storyline. He is undoubtedly the father, but what this cutting-edge show has demonstrated repeatedly over the years is that conventional families are not the only way: Grace was not meant to be with Leo - perhaps she's not meant to be with anyone. But now she has a child to love, a child that can complete her.

Karen and Jack had no B-plot to speak of this week, but their moments were funny and well-written. With Karen's admiration of Grace, and Jack's thinly-veiled protectiveness of Will, they even had some character development.

Just as this series is starting to regain the thoughtful and not-so-overstated tone it once held, it will soon be gone from our screens. But at least we can be thankful that it 'Will' bow out 'Grace'-fully. Oh dear, I made a funny.