Will & Grace

The Finale

Aired Monday 9:30 PM May 18, 2006 on NBC

• So it had to end and this is a pretty good way to go.

When I first saw this episode I was disappointed. I don't really know why. I think I was hoping it would be just as jaunty as the others, but it had some really serious moments.

SOME SPOILERS FOLLOW

Now when I watch it, I realise that it's a pretty good ending. It still has the requisite hilarious moments, but it's grounded in something bigger. I do find it hard to believe that despite what happened Will and Grace haven't spoken for two years, or that they would lose touch again.

The opening with Grace's dream about what would happen if she gave up Leo, Will gave up Vince and they brought up their wayward son together is wonderful. And the running joke that everyone gets older, except for Karen who looks the same throughout, is typical Will & Grace. Shelley Morrison deserves more recognition for her contribution to this series. And for having to wear that awful red jacket for so long. At least she gets the chance for some costume changes here!

It winds eveything up well, with Will and Grace finally able to lead lives that don't depend on each other. And they have both found happiness, which, given their track records over the seasons they really deserve.

I guess it's a little too neatly wrapped up with Lila and Ben getting together, but it's kind of a natural ending.

Will and Grace will be sorely missed. Not every single episode was a classic, but the writers did a fantastic job, and they were never anything but funny - and they make for great rewatching. I'll miss it, not only because it was a great series with a fabulous cast, but also because it was so brave in a lot of its subject matter and brought the acceptability of gay lifestyles to a mainstream audience. I'm in the UK, so we've got away with more than what I've seen from US TV over the years - though you're getting better - but somehow, not only did W&G manage to get away some very funny gay jokes, without making everything sterotypical, but it also got away with some of the closest near to the mark sex jokes I can remember, not to mention Karen's little 'rack' dances! And there aren't many shows that can attract such an array of guest stars, most willing to take the proverbial out of themselves.

So goodbye, and thanks.