Win Ben Stein's Money

Comedy Central (ended 2003)

gwactuary

Win Ben Stein's Money Fan Reviews (7)

• Your classic question-and-answer game made cool with funny categories, wacky conversations between the hosts, and some hilarity from the contestants themselves. Also remember, it's the host's money at risk!

If you're tired of those classic game shows, take a look at this. You'll still find the traditional elements of a game show--contestants answer questions and hope to win money. Here's the interesting part--it's the host's own cash that's on the line! So, if you've ever wanted to see a host get shown how dull he is on his own stage, or if you'd like to see the host publicly humiliate a contestant, watch this, especially when a contestant answers a question with "What is...".
  • Ben Stein for President in 2008!

Jeopardy! with a wry, clever sense of humour.

The format was key: one question per category, zany category titles, Ben defending his money from Round Two on.

A perfect example of a category title (about the composer of the Wedding March): "German Marches Not Involving Nazi B***ards."

Another funny category title was "Keep Your Hands Off My Balzac."

I'd like to see the show resume production, and think Universal should acquire the rights from the incompetents at Disney (who currently own them).
  • A pretty good game show.

6.9
    This was a pretty good game show. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • "just cause"

0.5
    i did'nt think it was tht bad of a show, but one thing made me wonder, it was the name of show. it says Win Ben Stiens Money, ha ha i know exactly why it went off the air he became Broke ahh ha ha haaaa, lol and did you ever guess it...
  • Funny, wierd

Win Ben Stien's Money was a game show that was okay. Sure it was funny and Jimmy Kemmel did add more comedy to the show. All you had to do was make it through the first round and if you didn't you lost all the money you thought you won then Ben came in in the second round and then you had to try to get more cash by being quicker than Ben with the buzzer. Lastly, tou had to anwser 10 questions in one mintue. if you won you got 5 grand and if you lost you kept the money you did win. That's why it's mildly intresting.
  • The amazing and funny mind of a Nixon survivor put into a gameshow format.

I loved this show! I came to love the titular curmudgeonly genius of Ben Stein! Jimmy Kimmel first came to my attention through this show. Lots of good stuff.

From the naughty titles to the sometimes spooky-smart guests to the final showdowns that sometimes had me gaping in surprise, I enjoyed every half hour I spent in front of this show.

Granted, it's just a trivia show not unlike Jeopardy!, a forefather of random knowledge shows. It's the set-up of Ben's (and Comedy Central's) cash being on the line, the possibility of out-remembering just that one piece of information so that you get to take that cash from Stein, that makes it irresistable. That and that Mr. Stein seemed genuinely happy for the folks able to best him at the game.

After watching this, Jeopardy! may be considered the gold standard of gameshows, but Win Ben Stein's Money is the platinum standard.

Strongly recommend this show to anyone.
  • I used to enjoy watching this show. Ben Stein and Jimmy Kimmbel were great in it. It might of been totally different than other game shows, but it was sure worth watching, and you could learn some stuff in the process.

I wish it was on reruns on Comedy Central, but it was good while it lasted.