Wind at My Back

CBC (ended 2001)

Wind at My Back Fan Reviews (1)

7.7
  • Beautifully filmed and set in the 1930s, "Wind at My Back" is a family drama that is both heartfelt and funny, with characters that are enjoyable to watch and grow with the seasons.

"Wind at My Back" is a family drama set in a small town during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

The series follows the members of the Bailey family as they live through a time period marked by difficulty and hardship, as well as hope. The show is supported by a strong ensemble of characters. In the series premiere, we are introduced to the strong-willed Honey Bailey, whose family is torn apart by tragedy and her mother-in-law May Bailey. Through the course of the series, the characters develop and exhibit growth, from the domineering May Bailey to Honey's meek, unmarried sister-in-law Grace Bailey.

"Wind at My Back" perfectly balances drama with light comedy. By balancing the emotionally affecting moments with lighter and more humorous situations, it is a show that the entire family can watch together.

Beautifully filmed with period sets and costumes, "Wind at My Back" transports you back in time, incorporating into the storylines the cultural fads of the 1930's, from dance marathons to radio talent shows to swing music. Sometimes gritty and at other times romanticized, the show is a thoroughly enjoyable drama about the importance of family.