Wings Forums

NBC (ended 1997)

Does anyone else like Wings better than Cheers?

MASHgirl25

[1]May 4, 2006
    • level: 3
    I know Wings is often referred to as a bad Cheers knock-off, but pesonally, I like Wings better. Don't get me wrong, I think Cheers is a classic. Both shows have excellent writing, plots, and chemistry, but I like the Wings gang better than the Cheers gang. I think the Wings characters are a nicer group of people. I also think the atmosphere on Wings is warmer and more upbeat. Cheers may have gotten all the love, attention, critical acclaim, and awards, but I'll take Wings any day.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gophone

[2]May 5, 2006
    • level: 39
    Wings was much better then Cheers. The sub-plots, the characters, and the repeating jokes of Wings made it a classic too.

Monk10000

[3]May 5, 2006
    • level: 13
    Ya Wings is so much better i dont even watch Cheers i don't like it much Wings is my second favorite show

MTMFan

[4]May 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    Yeah, Cheers is one of those shows I'll watch if it happens to be on, but I would never drop everything for it. Wings, on the other hand, I WOULD (if it didn't have such an awful timeslot! hehe)
    Edited on 05/06/2006 2:58pm

neptoon2070

[5]May 23, 2006
    • level: 6
    I like Cheers but I would rather watch Wings.

Lokar

[6]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 26
    I liked both shows a lot. Cheers comes out a little bit ahead for me. 

stevierae5

[7]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 7

I absolutely love "Wings" and completely disagree with the show editor's comments on the summary page that "Wings" could be described as "Cheers 2." The only similiarity, in my opinion, is that they both happen to be set in Massachusetts. I guess that makes "Dawson's Creek" a bad knockoff of both.

I think it does have to do with your generation, since "Wings" came along almost ten years after "Cheers" premiered, but I've never had more than a passing interest in "Cheers" and "Wings" is one of my all-time faves.

MASHgirl25

[8]Jun 8, 2006

stevierae5 wrote:
    I think it does have to do with your generation, since "Wings" came along almost ten years after "Cheers" premiered, but I've never had more than a passing interest in "Cheers" and "Wings" is one of my all-time faves.

I was a baby when Cheers came out, so I never got to watch in its origional run. I did watch the last few seasons of Wings when they origionally aired. I just find the Wings gang so much... nicer. Cheers was supposed to be this fun place where everybody knows your name, but I think it's a dreary place with unpleasant people at times. I'll hang out at the airport than the bar any day of the week.

WorkingStiff79

[9]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    I like Wings a lot more than Cheers. Theres no denying that Cheers is a classic show and I do like it, but it's just not a show that I can watch over and over again. Wings on the other hand is one of the few shows I can watch over and over again and it still makes me laugh.

butteryellow

[10]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 2
    Cheers. I think the only reason I rate Cheers higher is because it was better for a longer period of time. I love them both and have them both in my DVD collection--and watch them equally--or will have as soon as they release the rest of the seasons.

friendfan13

[11]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 8
    Cheers was great. but i think Wings was better.

jrapaport

[12]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 5

It's a close call. I watched them both, and loved them both. However, I don't really see how people consider "Wings" s knockoff of "Cheers". Not even close, other than the fact that they both had excellent laughs and were great shows for their respective periods. "Cheers" is one of my all-time favorites, which has almost no parallel for the length of time they were number one, and the amount of creatiuve stories and hilarity that ensues., It is also very much the most timelss ofmost of the sit-coms. I watch it still regularily noe, and it is still dead-on funny.

"Wings" also had great laughs throughout the series, but was on for a shorter time. There were very few cast changes, and they didn't introduce new characters yearly after there midway mark like "Cheers". I think I might have had a few heartier laughs during "Wings", but all in all "Cheers" was a much better written show in my opinion. They both had great casts through and through.

I vote for "Cheers" by a small margin because I consider the acting a tie, the storylines going to "Cheers" along with the writing. I think the comedy was strong on both series, but "Cheers" definitely had the edge in the drama and the romantic storyline between Sam and Diane is untouchable. Even Sam and Rebecca can go head to head with Joe and Helen. I equate Woody with Lowell, and Norm with Roy. Sam and Diane destroy Helen and Joe. Then you pit Antonio with Cliff, and Faye with Coach. Then we can pit Carla with the hottie helicopter girl (I forget her name). And finally there is Casey, who vies with Rebecca. Then you still have no competition for the Melville's crowd and John (Melville's owner) along with the bar crowd regulars, but we can place them opposed to the passing through airport customers...BUT YOU HAVE ONE BIG, HUGE PROBLEM!!!! There is no replacement for Frasier and Lilith, who were so superior to most other shows' side characters, that I believe they did manage to create a best-selling and top-rated TV series on those characters.

So, in characters, I give "Cheers" the edge as well. Plus it covered comedy, as well as drama, romantic-comedy. I guess it's not as close as I assumed. But, "Wings" was a great show. I think it was much better than "Home Improvement, which competed against it during the same era of television. In fact, I think "Home Improvement" didn't offer much at all .Her had one joke, that grunting thing, which wasn't even funny to me. And Wilson's hidden face, they should have learned how to do it better from "Cheers" with the missing Vera (A classic when the Thanksgiving episode had her enter with the pie over her face). Or even that spin-off I was talking about, who had a mysterious wife named Maris who I don't believe we ever saw. My viewing tailed off at the end.

But, in a full-force critical review, minus the technology catergories like special effects and film related criticisms and camera play, I give "Cheers" a serious edge in greatness. But I don't think it was nearly as much as a landslide as this article makes it seem. "Wings" was great.

oldognutrix

[13]Oct 14, 2008

They're both good shows. Wings made me laugh a little more.

pashotshot

[14]Nov 1, 2008
    • level: 15
    I don't even think about Cheers. Wings is a lot better, and two fo my favorite actors are on that show.

gguirao

[15]Aug 8, 2010
    • level: 23

I like them both equally, but Frasier trumps them both.