Wings

Life Could Be a Dream

Aired Thursday 9:30 PM Apr 30, 1996 on NBC

• love it

Super funny One of the best
  • Joe, Brian, Casey and Helen open up a time capsule and reveal to one another what their childhood dreams were.

There were so many inspired moments in this episode that it has to be seen to be fully appreciated. I\'m laughing just thinking about. Joe as a hairdresser and Brian as a make up artist (or is it vice versa?) is one of the highlights in this show\'s entire run and to boot this episode has one of the most genuinely tender conclusions, with Helen revealing, in a voice over, what her true wish was. Fantastic television that manages to be amazingly funny, concise and sharp in a very short span of time.
  • Childhood Dreams

When we are children at first we already have our mind set out on what we want to be when we grow up. But when we grow up years we look back and realize we actually turned into something different which is contrary to what we wanted to be back then. I can relate to this episode because back then I wanted to be a lot of things like a cop, fireman, a type of artist, etc when I was a child but just like the characters in the episode I actually turned out to be something different and may'be a lot more of how I saw myself back then. This episode I honestly thought was funny and rather touching because of the sense of honesty and slight bittersweetness that really hits home to many of our childhoods. Three questions revolve around this episode, Why do we become contrary to what we set ourselves out to be back then? Do all off the dreams we have about the future actually come true? Have we lived life to the fullest potential? Every one of the characters go though the contents of what was in the time capsule and we see the alternate scenarios of who they could be. This brings out a mix of emotions from laughter because we can easily see how ridiculous they look, a small sense of optimism when we see in the scenrios how well their doing it almost feels like they could have made it in those professions, and just a small sadness because you realize that they have not became any of those things, they all have sucessful carrers they like and things seem to be going their way. But as the characters retreat away from the capsule except for Hellen in the end we see just a slight moment/hint of sadness in Joe, Brian, and Casey's faces, as if wondering if they could have been more. These questions we see are never really answered only meditated on. The only thing we can really do is live life the best we can, we all get what we want and sometimes we don't always get what we want. The most touching moment in the episode has to be the final part where Helen, opens up a note she written a long time ago, which says she will marry Joe Hackett. It appears the dream she had as a child wasn't just a dream but it turned out to be a profacy of her future which actually came true.