Wings

NBC (ended 1997)

gwactuary

Wings Fan Reviews (30)

• It's back - Now showing on the Reelz channel!

I just discovered that it is back on tv, on the Reelz channel. in my area it's on from Monday thru Friday, from 2-3 pm.

It's so good to see this cast of talented actors back when they were unknown, not to mention the guest appearances of many other present-day famous actors.

I love this light hearted show, funny jokes and great story lines. So what if it's 20 years old, it still makes me laugh as much now as it did back then, and sometimes even more. Charming, cleverly written shows never go out of style. It would really be great to see them do a reunion show.

• Not so cool!

5.8
    This show had me from the start when Steve Weber in the first episode complimented the owner of the rival flight company for getting rid of the life jackets to save money and hiring a novice pilot right out of flight school. Just when I think I've caught my breath, a voluptous brunette walks past and he blurts out, "Major Hooters," only to save himself from her wrath by introducing himself as his alter-ego, "Major Bob Hooters." This was the kind of writing and creativity that made this under-appreciated series a hit for almost ten years as NBC floated it all over it's schedule. Yet, the fans continued to follow it. The other thing that made this show was sexpot Crystal Bernard, a survivor from the last season of Happy Days. The show had an incredible ensemble of talent including Bernard, Weber, Tim Daly, David Scramm, Rebecca Schull and Thomas Haden Church who played the slightly annoying mechanic Lowell Mather. Replaced by the dynamic Tony Shalhoub as the haplessly unlucky Antonio Scarpacci, the series even became a cousin to the equally successful Cheers with crossovers with its best talents. Underrated for its time on TV, this incredibly funny and relentless series lasted an enjoyable seven years until Amy Yasbeck joined the cast as Helen's jinxed sister, Casey, possibly named after Bernard's Happy Days character, K.C. Cunningham. Yasbeck's arrival signified the sign that the series had run out of ideas as Daly and Bernard's characters got married for the marriage jokes and millions of Crystal Bernard fans lost their hearts.
  • I love this show its my second favoriite show i wish it never ended

Wings is a great example of a comedy it is funny and all the other material to make any 1 laugh and if ur favorite character is antonio then u might want to watch monk monk is also the same actor who plays antonio so if u can give both shows a chance wings season 1 and 2 release date may 23 rd 06 monk season 1 2 3 on dvd season 4 this summer
  • Two brothers fly planes while dealing with their crazy and weird friends back at the airport.

Wings has to be one of the greatest TV series of the 90s, but I don't think it will ever get the appreciation it deserves. The writing just got better every year and the storyline was surprisingly in-depth. I guess this series is best given the credit for discovering Thomas Haden Church and Tony Shaloub, both of which are successful actors of their own now. Yeah, this series is like Cheers, but I always figured that it was more like the 90s version of Taxi. So, it was no surprise that Christopher Lloyd had his hand in the making. Overall, this series was great
  • Midly funny show about a pilot working to keep a small airplane business running while trying deal with friends, family and locals at the same time.

The story line for Wings is pretty good. I recently started to watch it when USA brought it back for its 6 am slot. Though it is a 90's comedy it is not that bad. The main characters: Joe and Brian Hackett, and Helen offer some real good laughs. Roy also provides more histerical moments with his "evil" humor. Fay was also good at providing some histerical moments with her mannerisms. The story line was great and even the serious moments in the show were quickly brought back to funniness. I love the show as a whole except for three reasons:Lowell,Antonio, Helen's sister. Lowell sucks as an actor and his village idiot moments are not funny. I despise the actor who plays antonio. Antonio's "funny" moments suck. Helen's sister role is also terrible with her "wo, is men" attitude. Other than these three terrible actors the shows great.
  • Better than the rating

I strongly disagree with the overall review rating for this episode. There are several funny moments in this episode. I do agree with some of your other reviewers that the funeral scene is by far the best part of the show but I disagree that the show is under par. It's filled with laughs. From Antonio's hate for Harrison Kingsbury to Brian telling Joe he has to go through with being buried alive. (they don't have time to switch Joe's body with Kingsbury's) From Brian and Fay telling Joe to "Get in the box, Joe" or Kingsbury's grandson's crush on Helen, it's a classic worth more props than it's getting.
  • The story of two brothers who grew up with a Dad who went nuts and a Mom who left them. This left Joe the older brother to care for his younger brother Brian. They became pilots and went in very different directions until their father died.

Wings was a wonderful comedy which started out good, got even better and then toward the end when Lowell's character left it lost some of its shine. Roy and Lowell were especially funny. This series had quite a personal touch to it and I have often wondered whether the writers or creator was relating to the viewers his personal life experiences. It opens with a very funny episode when Brian comes back to Nantucket thinking their father had left the
    boys lots of money only to find out he just wanted them to become closer to each other. Brian is introduced to Joe's rival for the island's airline business, Roy Biggins, who drives a purple el comino and looks like Oliver Hardy! He also meets "Lowell",played by Thomas Haden Church, the airports mechanic responsible for the planes and a great deal of the comedy in this series.
  • Wings - Simply the best sitcom of the 90's!!!

If I could go back into time and watch a T.V. show all over again on it's first run... Wings would be the one! This show had it all, from great actors to great writers and a storyline that had endless possiblilities!

Set in the Tom Nevers Field Airport on Nantucket, Joe tries to keep his one plane operation in buisiness while his competition Roy from Aeromass Airlines (with 7 planes) contiuously picks on him each and everyday. That coupled with the other regulars such as Helen (who works the airport lunch counter), Lowell (the only Airport Mechanic), Antonio (the local cab driver), Joe's brother Brian and his faithful only other employee Faye leaves the hangar doors wide open for any and all things to happen... and it does!

With 172 episodes in all... if you loved it then you can love it now. It is being released on DVD and you can purchase all of the way up to Season 4 out of 8 seasons. Each episode is about 20 minutes long and is sure to be both a great memory as well as a great dose of laughter for you each and everyday! I give Wings the perfect 10!!!
  • I love this show

I love this show. It had great comic timing and great characters. They all loved each other, well, except for Roy. The airport was cool. Joe and Brian were brothers but so different. It was like Cheers in a lot of ways. It is a very underrated show. I will get it all on DVD. Lowell was hilarious. Tony Shalhoub was awesome as Antonio. Fay was cool. Helen was awesome and she and Joe made great friends and later a couple and husband and wife. Joe and Brian went through so much together. This show was hilarious and was so very good.
  • Laughs both in the air and on the ground.

This show is a definite classic in my books because it was both funny and interesting. The brothers, Brian and Joe, were complete opposites, which made them a comical family. I often wondered about their parents and how they must have been. I guess this shows that I totally bought into the plot of the show.

A personal favorite of mine was Helen, the southern simile spittin' lady lookin' for love. She is great as the voice of reason (at times) and also as the ditzy female. Definitely a great actress behind that character.

In mentioning characters, I have to say that all of the actors on Wings were absolutely fabulous. Their personalities both meshed and conflicted, which added to the whole basis of the show.

If you haven't checked it out, take the time to do so. You will not be disappointed.
  • This Cheers-clone actually became as big a hit!

This show had me from the start when Steve Weber in the first episode complimented the owner of the rival flight company for getting rid of the life jackets to save money and hiring a novice pilot right out of flight school. Just when I think I've caught my breath, a voluptous brunette walks past and he blurts out, "Major Hooters," only to save himself from her wrath by introducing himself as his alter-ego, "Major Bob Hooters." This was the kind of writing and creativity that made this under-appreciated series a hit for almost ten years as NBC floated it all over it's schedule. Yet, the fans continued to follow it. The other thing that made this show was sexpot Crystal Bernard, a survivor from the practically abysmal and disappointing last season of Happy Days. The show had an incredible ensemble of talent including Bernard, Weber, Tim Daly, David Scramm, Rebecca Schull and Thomas Haden Church who played the slightly annoying, dim-witted mechanic Lowell Mather. Replaced by the dynamic Tony Shalhoub as the haplessly unlucky Antonio Scarpacci, the series even became a cousin or near spin-off to the equally successful Cheers with crossovers between its best talents. Underrated for its time on TV, this incredibly funny and relentless series lasted an enjoyable seven years until Amy Yasbeck joined the cast as Helen's jinxed sister, Casey, possibly named after Bernard's Happy Days character, K.C. Cunningham. Yasbeck's arrival signified the sign that the series had run out of ideas as Daly and Bernard's characters got married for the marriage jokes and millions of Crystal Bernard fans lost their hearts.
  • I love it...

I love "Wings" I vaguely remember it when it was originally on. I rediscovered it when it it hit Nick at Nite. I immediately got sucked in. It is one of those shows I could watch forever. I love the characters. They are written and acted to perfection. It is such an underappreciated show. It get's no publicity now. It's not on Nick at Nite or TBS or Oxygen. I don't know why. It's such a funny show. I think because of the time period it was on, with Seinfeld, Roseanne, Frasier, Friends, Home Improvement, etc., people often over look it or forget about it. It's there loss though.

I love that there isn't a special gimmick to the show. They're just a group of people who work in the same place. Some are friends, some are related, some are employers, some are enemies. It goes to show you that with good writing and good acting, the simplist of ideas can last for 8 years
  • I don't know why....

I don't know why, but I have always had a soft spot for this show. When I worked at the airport, I began watching Wings. I guess I felt some sort of misplaced camaraderie for the cast of characters, but never the less, I watched it and I liked it. Since then, I've been watching wings every chance I get. Now, at long last, Wings has finally come to DVD. This means i get to watch the antics of the Hackett brothers anytime I want. I don't have to wait for Nickelodeon to decide to run it for only a couple of weeks! YAAAAY!
  • A definite classic. Well at least to me.

It was one of the funnier comedies of the time, and i still find myself Tivo'ing it today. The show had great timing, sometimes it may have been a little corny or repetitive, but it never overshadowed the main comedic plot line. It had a good mix of characters, although the show began to dive after season six when Thomas Haden Church (Lowell) left the show. The actor that played Bud, did not have as good of a sense of timing. And I found that Helen’s sister Casey played by Amy Yasbeck became really annoying when she became a regular. There were a few cheers crossover episodes that were funny, one that had Norm and Cliff hanging out in the hangar all day, and another one with Frasier and Lillth. All in all it was a good show with a nice run, but it died after 8 seasons and over 170 episodes.
  • I've never understood the animosity towards Wings. I think it's a great example of intelligent comedy.

I don't understand why Wings was never a huge hit. I think it ranks right up there with MASH, Cheers, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, The Cosby Show, The Simpsons, and other classic comedy favorites. To me, Wings has all the elements of a great sitcom. It had interesting plots,intelligent humor, a great cast who worked well together, and lovable characters that the average person can relate to. It's a shame that Wings never received the praise, accolades, and attention it deserved. I enjoy it a lot more than that vulgar, asinine Friends, a show I never got the appeal of. I wish we had more sitcoms like Wings, Cheers, MASH, and The Cosby Show again. The stuff that passes for comedy these days is sophomoric garbage.
  • One of my favorite sitcoms of all-time

Growing up, "Wings" was of my favorite shows. It had a great cast, funny guest stars, & memorable episodes. The last few seasons were a bit of a letdown -- Lowell & Alex left & the show began revolving more around Joe, Brian, & Helen than anyone else. Granted, they were the main stars of the show but in its early years, everyone had a part. Towards the end, you rarely saw Roy & Fay. But none the less, the show was a classic & hopefully it will come out on DVD soon.
  • This show ROCKS from one episode to another. Even the minor characters become an integral part of the show, and just as entertaining.

You've got to see this! From the introduction to the end, this is a rip-roaring, laughter-filled romp that will keep you smiling from start to finish. While sometimes the bed-hopping can get rather cumbersome, the situations for each character can get seriously hilarious. It\'s a good, overall show. Watch it!
  • Every time I saw this show it made me want to live in their town and have friends like them!

Getting to know Joe and Brian over the years was the best remedy for losing Cheers, because it had the same feel of comfort and warmth that those guys gave us. All of the characters on this show was endearing not because of their supermodel beauty or expensive car or trendy ways, not at all, instead they were people you might actually know. Their vulnerabilities are what endeared them to us and I was actually sad during "Final Approach" because it felt as if a friend was going away for good to become something totally different, like cursed or something. (Damn!)
  • Sad that it ended!

Helen was THE character to watch! From her rash and green on the nght that Davis flew in. To the time she went nuts... Come to think of it she had a lot nutty moments on the show and they were PRICELESS!!! I'll be waiting to see if it ever comes out on dvd. I sure hope so cause this is one series you should have in your collection.
  • Wish this show never ended!

I love this show. Wings was all about the lives, loves, experiences, and antics of: Joe, Helen, Brian, Faye, Antonio, and even \"Roy boy\" They were all the greatest. I loved coming home at nite after a hard shift, when I knew I could catch Wings! The funniness of the show brought me back to it again and again. Now I\'m glad they are on late nite.... even if I have to stay up til 4 AM or tape it, it is one of my all time fave\'s and I am not really a TV person!
  • Classic ensemble comedy that was a nice follow-up show for Cheers

Wings got a bit formulaic at the end of its run, but in the early and growth years, it was top notch. I always felt the show would have slipped significantly without Brian, because Joe was a bit boring (as was his romance with the Crystal Bernard character). Two great bit characters were Lowell, the plane mechanic played by Thomas Hayden Church (late of the movie Sideways), and Antonio, the cab driver played by Tony Shalhoub (foreshadowing Monk).
  • Legendary--witty and creative television comedy.

What else can I say about this show that hasn't already been said? Hilarious, creative, wonderful. At this point in television history, this might have been one of the sharpest, wittiest, and smartest written comedies. The character development throughout the seasons was fantastic and as the characters themselves grew, you really felt as if they were part of your everyday life.

To be honest, I never watched this show until "live" until the last few seasons, but I have always watched the reruns on USA or whatever network the show might have aired on.

Word is that the first two seasons will finally be released on DVD in the upcoming months.
  • This series was a true classic that should live forever in permanent reruns!

Of all the tv series I've watched over the years, Wings is by far my personal favorite! Wonderfully entertaining characters and exceptionally funny writing (particularly in the first 5 years) make this a true winner! I can probably recite every episode by heart, but I enjoy watching them all as much now as when they first aired. Keep Wings running somewhere, anywhere so I can get my fix!
  • This is a show that needs to be on DVD.

To me it's a tv crime not to put wings on dvd. But I heard a rumor NBC has a bad habit of tapeing over shows for new ones. So a episode of wings could be a episode of Friends now. If so I say for shame NBC, for shame.
  • Great show, great writing... amazing theme song!

I recently started revisiting this show on TV Land and I was reminded what a wonderful theme song it had. Certainly one of the more beautiful themes on TV. Since it\'s on so late, sometimes I don\'t feel like staying up to watch an entire episode. But I always make sure I watch the theme. I love the shots of the plane over the island... just beautiful.

I\'m also being reminded how much I love these characters (except Roy... well, okay, him too... ;-D). I had forgotten how zany Lowell really was and how funny Tim Daly could be as the straight man.

And how bizarre is it to watch Antonio Scarpacci when Tony Shalhoub is currently doing Monk? It\'s hard to believe he\'s the same guy!

An excellent show. Can\'t wait to see some episodes on DVD!
  • Half Three's Company, Half Cheers.

I bet nobody knows what I'm talking about. David Angell, Peter Casey, and David Lee are also producers on Cheers, and Cliff, Norm, Rebecca, Fraiser, and Lileth were guest stars on Wings.

John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck star on this show, and have been guest stars as a married couple on another show.

I like Carlton, the old man on the show, and Sandy, Joe's ex-wife.

The first season of this show is ancient, just like all the other first seasons on other shows.

And It takes place in Tom Nevers Airport, but for some reason I thought it took place on an airplane.
  • A guy name Joe has a brother name Brian who run a local airport. Brian and Joe are piolets. They own Sandpiper air line. So funny, Great laughs, Wonderful show to watch.

I love this show. This is the best show ive ever seen.This shows so funny. I think they should make a movie called WINGS about what Brian and Joe do now that they dont own an airport. Like Joe has kids in real life, So does Brian but they should show what they do now that their not piolets
  • Brothers Joe and Brian Hackett run Sandpiper Air, a small commuter airline on the island of Nantucket.

A fantastic ensemble show with some of the most endearing characters ever, this show has been compared too often with it\'s counterpart, Cheers. This show stands on it\'s own. The incredible situations the characters find themselves in make for hilarious episodes. The writing and acting are superb. Wings is one of the underrated classics.
  • A great show about great characters! This is a classic that should always be on air.

Taking place in a small airport on Nantucket, it focuses on mainly, but not only, totally opposite brothers Brian and Joe Hackett who run a one plane airline. Wings is always entertaining. Lowell was one of the funniest characters on any show I have seen, he and Antonio had some of the shows best lines! And I think everyone would like someone as kind hearted as Faye in their lives, and in a sense I think we all have a Roy in our lives. This show is one of a kind and will always be one of my favorites!
  • Great show about a small airport on the east coast. Great laughs, awesome characters.

One of my favorite shows of all time. It had its up and downs, but was always entertaining. I would love to get this series on DVD. Joe\'s haircut towards the end was distracting, I liked him better with the \'pilot\' look. Helen is one of my favorites. Fay was the heart of the show, she added that extra special something every episode.