W.I.T.C.H. Forums

Toon Disney (ended 2006)

W.i.t.c.h. FAQ

witchinsider

[1]Sep 7, 2006
    • level: 39
    I’ve been thinking of creating a thread dedicated to answering Frequently Asked Questions about the W.I.T.C.H. TV show, such as “What does Will say when she transforms?”, or “Is it true that there won’t be a third season?”, etc. Currently the answers to those questions are scattered all over the forum, which makes them much harder to find, hence the idea of a FAQ.

To help me put this together, please post your questions here, either questions that have never been answered before, or frequently asked questions which you think should be listed in the FAQ. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm putting the list on the first page and pinning this thread for easier perusal.

Production

Q: Is it true that there won’t be a third season?
    A: In all likelihood the show will indeed end with the 52nd episode as there is very little to no interest both from the investors’ and the producer’s side in making a third season of W.I.T.C.H.

Q: Why do the US and the European opening credits differ?
    A: Because the US picked a different theme song, they preferred to adapt the images to the music as opposed to the other way around, and so they cut their own version of the opening credits.

Q: How come some of the scenes shown in the US opening credits were never seen in any episode of the series?
    A: Because these scenes are demo reels from the various animation studios that SIP Animation tested for the first season.

Q: Why did the US edit out two scenes from the episode “It Begins”?
    A: The feeling was that the jokes fell flat and caused confusion. Those were the only scenes ever edited out for the US market.

Q: Are there any plans for a W.I.T.C.H. movie?
    A: There currently are none. The feature film mentioned on movietome is total fabrication.

Season 1 vs Season 2

Q: Why didn’t the US change the opening credits for the second season?
    A: Because they wanted consistency in case they aired both seasons simultaneously.

Q: Why do the artwork and animation of Season Two differ slightly from Season One?
    A: Different director and animation studio.

Q: Why is it that the second season is closer to the comics than the first season?
    A: The writing team felt that the new season required more in-depth exploration of the source material, and drew some inspiration from both sagas 1 & 2 of the comic-books.

Q: What does Will say when she transforms?
    A: In the first season it’s just an unintelligible grunt. In the second season, Will audibly says “The Heart” in the first 11 episodes, after which she switches to “Quintessence” once she discovers that power.

Names

Q: Why was Laurent’s name changed to Clubber?
    A: Because it was deemed that Laurent was the kind of name a kid would get beaten over at school, and therefore the opposite of a typical bully name. From then on Laurent was therefore referred to by his nickname, Clubber, while his actual full name in the TV series is in fact “Laurent Clubberman”.

Q: Is “Lin” Hay Lin’s last name?
    A: “Lin” is both Hay Lin’s surname and the last past of her first name. Since in Chinese culture it’s traditional to put the family name first, Hay Lin’s full name is therefore “Lin Hay Lin”.

Q: Why was Thomas Vandom’s first name changed to Tony?
    A: Since there is only one Thomas Vandom existent in real life, Legal strongly advised that we change the character’s first name in the show so as to avoid any implication of personal slander and disparagement.

Q: Where does the name “Trill” come from?
    A: It was inspired by comic-book issue #19 in which Hay Lin is haunted by a strange tune known as “Nerissa’s trill”.

Episodes

Q: Is there a ‘lost episode’ of W.I.T.C.H.?
    A: There is an unaired 15-minute pilot episode which was never fully animated and was used back in 2003 to test viewers’ response to the show during a focus group.

Q: Why does Nerissa wear a metal gauntlet?
    A: She wears it to hide the Mage Ring underneath so as to avoid blowing her cover as the Mage.

Q: How did Nerissa get hairs from Queen Elyon’s head in “D is for Dangerous”?
    A: She got ahold of them when she was posing as Trill.

Q: Why was the order of the transformation sequence changed halfway through the second season?
    A: Beginning with episode L, Will says "Quintessence" and gets moved to the end of the transformation order in order to show how Quintessence is the embodiment of the four other powers.

Comic-book differences

Q: How come Caleb doesn’t have in the show the green stripes he has on his cheeks in the comics?
    A: Children in test audiences for W.I.T.C.H. were disturbed by Caleb's face markings, which furthermore would have prevented Caleb from regularly interacting with human teens and adults in the TV series.

Q: Why didn't the girls have some extra powers in the first season which they already had in the comics during the first saga?
    A: It’s a matter of showrunner’s discretion. For the first season, A. Nicholls & D. Vickers felt that the girls had too many powers in the comics, which is why they didn’t use most of the Guardians’ secondary abilities.
    Edited on 10/14/2006 1:18am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HellsingARMS

[2]Sep 7, 2006
    • level: 3
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 09/07/2006 9:25am

HellsingARMS

[3]Sep 7, 2006
    Am gonna ask “Is it true that there won’t be a third season?” because am confused about whats is happning right now!

HexedToBe

[4]Sep 7, 2006
    • level: 11
    Q: Why was the transformation sequence changed from K? (As in why did Will announce her power last?)

Irmalover

[5]Sep 8, 2006
    • level: 14
    Q: Why didn't Cedric have magic powers beyond transforming?

Q: Why didn't the girls have some extra powers in the first season which they already had in the comics during the first saga?

Q: How does it come that the second season gets more along with the comics than the first season?

Edit: rephrasing second question.
    Edited on 09/08/2006 10:43am

mist33

[6]Sep 8, 2006
    • level: 8

Irmalover wrote:
    Q: Why didn't Cedric have magic powers beyond transforming? Q: Why do the girls have some extra powers in the 2nd season which they didn't have in the 1st season? Q: How does it come that the second season gets more along with the comics than the first season?

Don't know answers to questions 1 and 3 but the girls have more powers in season 2 because the veil was brought down since Phobos no longer ruled Metamoor.

ClowWinx26

[7]Sep 8, 2006
    • level: 13
    This is gonna sound X rated, but is Cornelia a virgin, cos in the show, she goes through boys like water!

riz992

[8]Sep 8, 2006
    • level: 10
    ClowWinx26 wrote:
    This is gonna sound X rated, but is Cornelia a virgin, cos in the show, she goes through boys like water!
    Exactly how many boys. I've seen 2. Also, if she does "go through" boys a lot it doesn't mean she has to sleep with them all(not that she ever has and I'm also sorry about the wording of this post).
    Edited on 09/08/2006 9:31pm

ClowWinx26

[9]Sep 9, 2006

riz992 wrote:
    ClowWinx26 wrote:
    Exactly how many boys. I've seen 2. Also, if she does "go through" boys a lot it doesn't mean she has to sleep with them all(not that she ever has and I'm also sorry about the wording of this post).

It's ok, but she still has a new man for every week except Caleb.

witchbabe

[10]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 12
    ClowWinx26 wrote:

riz992 wrote:
    ClowWinx26 wrote:
    Exactly how many boys. I've seen 2. Also, if she does "go through" boys a lot it doesn't mean she has to sleep with them all(not that she ever has and I'm also sorry about the wording of this post).

It's ok, but she still has a new man for every week except Caleb.

do you mean in the comic or in the show? because in the show i've only known about caleb and peter but i haven't read all the comics so maybe there are more in there that i don't know about!

Irmalover

[11]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 14
    Q: Does the lightflash you see when they are teletransportating have a kind of pattern?

ClowWinx26

[12]Sep 10, 2006

Irmalover wrote:
    Q: Does the lightflash you see when they are teletransportating have a kind of pattern?

There is a green beam of light covering the area they occupy, and it shows them break up.

rbdroberta

[13]Sep 10, 2006

Like in the comics Irmas dad saw the guardians in their guardian form and Irma, will that happen in the show too?

ClowWinx26

[14]Sep 10, 2006
    No, that was a special.

rbdroberta

[15]Sep 10, 2006
    ohhh i c!

witchinsider

[16]Sep 11, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm obviously not going to answer spoilerish questions (at least not until the season is finished), but I'll keep the others in mind and reply once I've compiled them all, along with other frequently asked questions such as: How come some of the scenes shown in the US opening credits were never seen in any episode of the series? Why didn’t the US change the opening credits for the second season? Why did the US edit out two scenes from the episode “It Begins”? etc.

Nightskyfeather

[17]Sep 19, 2006
    I know this is stupid but where do you get w.i.t.ch. season two photos like from "A" Or "B" Or any of them and if you know please give me the link

witchinsider

[18]Sep 19, 2006
    Sorry but I can't help you with that. The only questions I'm able to answer are production-related. 

Nightskyfeather

[19]Sep 19, 2006
    Oh ok

Zendil

[20]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    Can you tell us what the reason was for the design changes for some of the boys. Nigels and Matt's skin tone and hair color have both changed and Martin went from blond to redhead. Also Matt is somewhat shorter than he was in the comics. Eric looks about the same though.

Also between Matt, Eric, Martin and Nigel who is the youngest and oldest.