W.I.T.C.H.

U is for Undivided

Aired Monday 8:30 PM Nov 11, 2006 on Toon Disney

• One of the best cartoons I have ever seen. This episode really had it all.

When I heard the premise for "U is for Undivided," I was expecting a decent episode of W.I.T.C.H., but nothing too memorable. Lillian turning out to have powers of her own sounds like a cool concept for an episode, but I expected it to be a one time deal that had no real impact on the show. But as always, W.I.T.C.H. manages to prove me wrong.

What most amazed me about this episode was that is answered an important question that had never even occurred to me: where is the Heart of Earth? Also, the episode touches briefly on why the girls were chosen as Guardians, and how it might not be for the reasons they always thought.

This episode plays with the idea of imagination. Lillian, unknowingly, is the Heart of Earth, and has the power to change reality around her to whatever she wishes. When Matt and Cornelia start telling her a fairy tale, Lillian reshapes reality, causing some hilarious and unexpected twists and turns in a fight between W.I.T.C.H. and the old Guardians. In the end, Matt convinces "Princess Lillian," to turn her powers over to "Regents" who will protect her powers until she is old enough to use them herself. This leads to an intense moment where it appears that Matt has reverted to Shagon and given Narisa another "heart," but the truth is much more clever.

This episode, like many W.I.T.C.H. episodes, goes into the importance of family and imagination, and there are many touching scenes with Matt, Cornelia, and Lillian. Cornelia tends to be my least favorite member of W.I.T.C.H., but this episode showed her to be just as complex as the others.

W.I.T.C.H. is an amazingly deep cartoon that works on multiple levels. Kids can enjoy the show for the humor and action. Adults can enjoy the long story arcs and surprisingly 3-dimensional characters. Each episode is part of a long story arc, but also manages to stand strongly on it's own. I know I am far from W.I.T.C.H.'s target audience as a 27 year old male, but my wife and I watch W.I.T.C.H. with our young daughter, and my wife and I enjoy it just as much as our daughter does. This is a special cartoon, and "U is for Undivided" was the perfect example of why.