Witchblade Forums

TNT (ended 2002)

reason why witchblade was cancel

  • Avatar of firedrakes

    firedrakes

    [1]Apr 9, 2006
    • member since: 04/18/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 463
    She is an admitted alcoholic and has been arrested on more than one occasion. On November 24, 2003, she was ordered to enter a substance-abuse treatment program. Later, it was discovered she had injuries from acting and family problems which led to her alcohol abuse. Despite high ratings and critical acclaim, further production of Witchblade was cancelled a result of Butler going into rehab.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sesho2022

    sesho2022

    [2]May 21, 2006
    • member since: 07/24/05
    • level: 47
    • rank: A-Teamer
    • posts: 5,640
    firedrakes wrote:
    She is an admitted alcoholic and has been arrested on more than one occasion. On November 24, 2003, she was ordered to enter a substance-abuse treatment program. Later, it was discovered she had injuries from acting and family problems which led to her alcohol abuse. Despite high ratings and critical acclaim, further production of Witchblade was cancelled a result of Butler going into rehab.

    It's a shame they cancelled it. Though Butler was superb in the show, I would have loved to see this show continue with another actor. It had such an interesting premise.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chaosrainz

    chaosrainz

    [3]Jun 19, 2006
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 2,916
    Or at least a mini series or movie where they kind of finish up the plotlines they had on the last cliffhanger/season/series fianle.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Riverbo

    Riverbo

    [4]Jun 23, 2006
    • member since: 06/23/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 30
    I would love to see more, one of my faves! Ian was crazy but so hot!! I'm not sure what his exact relationship was with Sarah but if the only relationship he had to her was from brain stems I would have enjoyed them getting together.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gabfan31

    gabfan31

    [5]Feb 6, 2007
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 100
    • rank: Master of the Universe
    • posts: 1,218
    If it was indeed all about the rehab, I wonder how her felow actors felt about the cancellation. I mean, I know that was part of it, but if she went in and was successfully treated you'd think they still could have brought it back. I wonder if there were other problems with the network and they just used her addiction as an excuse. And why no dvds? This show definitely had its cult following, and there's gold in them thar hills! It's like TNT wants to completely forget that they ever did the show! 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of parker_kincaid

    parker_kincaid

    [6]Mar 26, 2007
    • member since: 03/25/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 102
    Sadly, her problem has proven to be long-lasting. A TV show with a main character with an addiction problem can be a nightmare for a network, etc, because they can't rely on anything. Will the shooting schedule be met? How far off will a season be thrown or will an entire season need to be skipped over. Even more important is will the addiction itself cause the ability of the actor to drop so low that the quality of the product essentially stinks beyond value.

    It's horrible considering the show was well done and I feel bad for the other actors. They essentially got dumped because of Butler.

    As for why no DVDs... that's one of those things I always wonder about. Witchblade isn't the only series that hasn't released DVDs but makes me wonder. They'd make money!
    Edited on 03/26/2007 12:24pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ludmilas

    ludmilas

    [7]Jun 9, 2007
    • member since: 05/20/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 83

    parker_kincaid wrote:
    Sadly, her problem has proven to be long-lasting. A TV show with a main character with an addiction problem can be a nightmare for a network, etc, because they can't rely on anything. Will the shooting schedule be met? How far off will a season be thrown or will an entire season need to be skipped over. Even more important is will the addiction itself cause the ability of the actor to drop so low that the quality of the product essentially stinks beyond value.

    It's horrible considering the show was well done and I feel bad for the other actors. They essentially got dumped because of Butler.

    As for why no DVDs... that's one of those things I always wonder about. Witchblade isn't the only series that hasn't released DVDs but makes me wonder. They'd make money!

    Agree with that, but I must say she did a pretty well job in the two seasons. Of course she should concentrate all of her time into recovering

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of clax_clinton

    clax_clinton

    [8]Oct 31, 2007
    • member since: 10/31/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    The first season was outstanding. Great acting, story, camera angle and so on.
    But the second season, I won't even bother seeing the whole second season.
    Something must have happened. The second season lacks everything that made the first
    season so great.

    But a big thanks to all who has been working with Witchblade, and I hope "she" recovers.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gabfan31

    gabfan31

    [9]Jan 20, 2008
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 100
    • rank: Master of the Universe
    • posts: 1,218
    clax_clinton wrote:

    The first season was outstanding. Great acting, story, camera angle and so on.
    But the second season, I won't even bother seeing the whole second season.
    Something must have happened. The second season lacks everything that made the first
    season so great.

    But a big thanks to all who has been working with Witchblade, and I hope "she" recovers.


    I can't say that I agree with you about season two. Yes, the first season was better all around, but there were still some very good episodes in season two. By not bothering with it you're depriving yourself of some quality entertainment. It's interesting to see the differences between the old timeline and the new, and there are some very interesting developments. I wish they could have made a third season, too, even if it never completely lived up to the initial promise of the first season. "Consectatio", "Lagrimas", and particularly "Palindrome" are three of my favorite Witchblade episodes of either season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Todd_Gray

    Todd_Gray

    [10]May 5, 2008
    • member since: 05/05/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 456

    firedrakes wrote:
    She is an admitted alcoholic and has been arrested on more than one occasion. On November 24, 2003, she was ordered to enter a substance-abuse treatment program. Later, it was discovered she had injuries from acting and family problems which led to her alcohol abuse. Despite high ratings and critical acclaim, further production of Witchblade was cancelled a result of Butler going into rehab.

    Witchblade was cancelled due to low ratings after the second season's writing dropped off severely. Butler's last trip to rehab was almost a full year after the show was cancelled, so it wasn't her drinking herself out of the show.

    I love Yancy btw, and wish her all the best. A few months ago, I saw her in several episodes on a CBS soap opera, as well as on one of Sci-Fi Channel's B-movies.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of willphule

    willphule

    [11]Aug 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/28/03
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    We all loved Yancy but you must not have been keeping up with the show while it was still running. It was widely reported during the the airing of the two seasons that she had an ongoing substance abuse problem. It was quite clear at the time that the cancellation was solely due to her substance abuse problems and inability to conquer them within the parameters given to her by the network.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [12]Aug 30, 2008
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    After finally being able to see all the episodes on DVD, after it's been so long since I've seen any on TNT, I think TNT canceled the show because of the quality more than anything, during the second season the writing suffered greatly, on top of the show going from a serialized show with a great premise to a completely mediocre cop drama with a supernatural twist. Season two had some pretty good episodes but overall, it was a major disappointment.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Spytrx

    Spytrx

    [13]Sep 22, 2008
    • member since: 03/31/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 18

    sesho2022 wrote:
    It's a shame they cancelled it. Though Butler was superb in the show, I would have loved to see this show continue with another actor. It had such an interesting premise.

    I don't think the network was particularly interested in keeping the series going - replacing the lead with another mid-season isn't unheard of in popular soaps and series. If you look closly you see that around that time many new series were cancelled or canned that were different: if the viewer was animated to think, the subject of the story line went against popular religious believes, or even if just the advertisers had some problems with the concept of a show - all reasons for it to be put on hold or binned.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gabfan31

    gabfan31

    [14]Feb 12, 2009
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 100
    • rank: Master of the Universe
    • posts: 1,218
    I think it's a combination of many things. Having a star that was unable to cope with her addictions was a big stumbling block, but that could have been overcome if the writing was better. But after resetting time at the end of season one, they just couldn't seem to cope with starting it all anew, and floundered badly. There are individual episodes of season two that are worthy of the standard set by the first series, but on the whole, it was a big disappointment, and ratings were failing. Why keep a show with an unstable lead actress and slipping ratings, especially when you're a network like TNT, which doesn't have a strong history of producing it's own content? We should be glad they took the plunge, and gave us this ephemeral gift. Maybe we'll get lucky and one day they'll give us a TV movie to tie up some loose ends, but until then, I'll savor what they gave us over and over again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nikita4ever9000

    Nikita4ever9000

    [15]Apr 1, 2009
    • member since: 01/08/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12

    No one is perfect and everyone has baggage no matter what they say.

    If you are perfect then Judge Yancy Butler. If you are not then don't say anything.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.