Witchblade

Tokyo Broadcasting System (ended 2006)

logi

Witchblade Fan Reviews (3)

• To an audience astute enough to pick up on subtle characterizations and personal quirks and their significance, this anime will be sure to entertain.

As it seems to be with most anime produced by Gonzo studios lately, Witchblade does a superb job at building up its character relationships throughout the entirety of the anime until incredibly tragic turns of events or courageous decisions and epiphanies tear them apart. I thoroughly enjoyed this series. It was great visually (Gonzo never ceases to dazzle audiences with impeccable artwork), had a plethora of fan service, action, and *some* shojo aspects as well. The unobservant audience may overlook the intense characterizations and relationships so heavily nurtured and tested throughout the series. I cannot get over how depressing the ending is, however. If you have watched this show through the end and didn't feel your gut wrench at Masane's realization of her predicament and how each interaction between her and Rihoko is so painful for Masane, you missed something. Be on the look out for the significance of items each character carries or is often seen with throughout the show; they are significant. In closing, this is one of those small gems you can pull from a seemingly teenage boy entertaining series if you pay attention.
    -matt
  • Not going to rave about it as some have as if it's one of the best anime's ever.

Not going to rave about it as some have as if it's one of the best anime's ever. I will say that given a chance it's more than episode after episode of fan service. The core ideal of a mother trying to keep safe her daughter was done well. I predicted a sad anime ending but that's logical for anyone who watches anime a lot but I was made to guess the daughters fate a few times and how Moloko would over come impossible odd. The fan service is secondary it's almost like it's there to prove they can still tell an incredible story and not be over taken by it. Lots of action, an engaging story, and yes plenty of fan service certainly a show worth trying out.
  • A surprisingly good anime series.

When this series first came out I didn't pay any attention to it. About two months ago my older brother bought the box set and he loved it and a week ago he let me borrow it. The anime is loosely based off the comic which I read and really liked. Still I wasn't expecting to much from the series but I was wrong.

The story was very good. Focusing on the mother( Masane) and daughter(Rihoko) relationship. The Witchblade plays a secondary role in the anime which I thought was good. The two problems with the story was the back story of the blade which they never even hinted at. The biggest problem though was the ending. It was plain terrible, you can tell it was rushed. I know there are many reasons a anime series ends to soon. From being unpopular to running out of money, but they could have at least tried to make a coherent ending. They should have extended it to 26 episodes that would have been more than enough time to give a ending to the series.

Perhaps the best part of the series were the characters. Masane and Rihoko were great as mother and daughter. They brought the emotion to the series and you end up really caring for them. The other characters from Reiji, Hiroki, Shiori and the rest all add something to the series.

The animation done by GONZO was brilliant, but what do expect from one of the best anime studios. The music was also outstanding.

Overall a great anime worth watching, but prepare to be a little let down with the ending.