Without a Trace

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 06, 2005 on CBS

• An overachieving high school girl goes missing, and the worst is feared as the FBI searches for clues to her whereabouts.

7.7
    Ok, this wasn't the best of the bunch of "Trace" episodes, but I happen to catch it on a particular evening when I was feeling hormonal or something, because I really enjoyed it. I could figure out what was going to happen most of the time, of course, but that wasn't what I appreciated about the show. It brought back my lost youth: a teenager's secret life, hiding info from the parents, not telling adults anything if possible, the whole deal. As an adult now, I thought Tara was being silly behaving the way she did after she got pregnant. I remember being in her shoes (although I was 19), and not wanting to tell anyone, and getting in a panic. I thought the writers drove that home well. Even her girlfriends and their wall of silence was pretty cool to behold. Sure, parents say "you can tell me anything," but that's not always what they mean, and teenagers don't believe it most of the time, anyway. I felt transported back to my teenage Angst years, my own untimely pregnancy (though I was in college). The ending wasn't perhaps realistic. Tara hung on to her baby; in real life, that doesn't always happen. I need to view this episode another time when I'm in a different mood to see if I feel the way I do now. At this moment, I stand by my positive review.