Without a Trace

Better Angels

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Nov 25, 2008 on CBS

• An amazing episode for all Jack/Sam fans

In this episode of Without a Trace, the following happens. The team investigate the disappearance of a man named Rob. He disappeared after a funeral for a man who worked for his company. They soon learn that Rob took a flight to Los Angles, under a different name. Due to this Jack asks Samantha to go to with him to Los Angeles. After a bit of a chat (about how it will look to everyone), she agrees. They go to see Rob's sister and father, both of them had no idea that he was back in town. Jack and Sam son learn from a homeless man, that Rob was forced by gun point into a car and was driven off. They soon believe that a double murder over 15 years ago may be related to why Rob has gone back to Los Angeles. The team soon believe after talking again to Rob's sister, that their father may have been involved in the double murder. When Jack and Sam pick up the father he confesses to the murder. But when Sam talks to his friend, Ed he admits that it was Rob who killed both of them. Rob was high on drugs that night and had no idea that he had killed anyone. He flipped out, took the gun and took off. Neither of them have heard from him since, and they have been looking for him. Its then that Jack and Sam gets a call and head to the beach and find a suicide note inside of a pair of shoes. It seems as though Rob, drowned himself, after not being able to live with himself after learning that he committed a double murder. At the very end of the episode, we see that Jack and Sam are now back together and that Jacks daughter Hannah is coming back home, to New York for a few weeks.
  • One of the best episodes!

The relationship with Jack and Sam has been part of the show from the beginning. At the beginning of the series it was just hints of the relationship. Then there where just suttle reminders. The Jack and Sam relationship has finally come hopefully full circle with the episode Better Angels. Jack was able to get Sam to Los Angeles and then was able to talk about his feelings about their relationship. Now that Sam has a child and Jack went thru such a tough time last season, they need each other. Better Angels was a great episode that just makes the Jack/Sam lovers wanting more. I hope to see it as a rerun a lot of times.
  • Jack and Sam go to L.A. together to follow a case. About time.

If you're a fan of Jack and Sam, then this is the one to watch. Simple as that. And since I am a fan of the relationship and have been from the beginning, then I enjoyed the episode very much. Jack and Sam's bench scene is one of the few refreshingly honest, realistic scenes between two people with a past coming to terms with their present life that has screened on TV for some time, and it is a credit to LaPaglia and Montgomery and their on-screen chemistry that the scene worked so well.

The following two episodes screened were the filler episodes -as they were filmed before the hiatus, and the episode "Wanted" is the logical successor to this one.
  • The case of a disappearance of an aircraft company executive takes Jack And Sam to Los Angeles where Jack of all people tries to woo Sam once again.

2.5
    This episode was Cringeworthy to watch. First off a case involving a aircraft company executive disappearance leads Jack And Sam to LA.But the office scene in which Jack tells Sam we have to go to LA is bad and I mean bad. This is where the Cringeworthy thing happens. The acting between the both is laughable at best if not inadequate. Instead of solving the case Jack (I will solve this case whatever) tries to woo Sam once again, claiming he'll be a changed man yada, yada. Then comes the weird part when Sam while in LA says "You know I love you right, I've had feelings for you for sometime now." WTF is this all about, I thought she was over him, and him her. Yet we are led to believe this pile of cow manour. Once again the guy/gals in the know how decided to make the rest of the cast take a back seat to the Jack/ Sam storyline. I won't bother finishing the story because the main story was Jack/Sam (Surprise, surprise). This show is getting worse and worser.
  • The case of a disappearance of an aircraft company executive takes the team to Los Angeles. While investigating the case in the City of Angels, Jack tries to rekindle his romance with Samantha.

This episode is by far the most disappointing of the season. There is nothing about this episode that makes it worth seeing. I was turned off by Jack's attempts to restart his romance with Samantha. Throughout the series Jack has always been devoted to the case he is looking into, maybe too much (As we have seen in the past). In this episode Jack seems more concerned with seducing Samantha than the case itself and I found that disappointing. I think a person as dedicated as Jack would realize what the priority is. Hopefully the show will right itself soon.