CBS (ended 2009)

Trace facing almost sure cancellation?

pealee_83

[21]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 19
    rdwing19 wrote:
    pealee_83 wrote:
    rdwing19 wrote:
    That's good to know DianeCal. I didn't know about the SVU thing. Ya, I figured I was just over-reading into that...

Deep breaths, Joe-deep breaths.

Haha, I can't when it comes to this show. Call me obsessed, but whatever. hehe

Thats ok, Joe! And I swear I'm going to catch up the eps I've missed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gjonesworth

[22]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    I would be absolutely devastated if Without a Trace got canceled, it's one of my favorite shows. That said, in recent months it's gotten kind of "eh". I think it would help if they stopped spending so much time on Jack Malone and went back to an even spread of stories for all the characters - that was when the show was at it's best, and I feel like that could put it right back on top. I think CBS needs to give the show a chance to pull itself up without axing it. It can still be good. The writers just need to listen to critics and make a few changes so that it's more like it was in the earlier seasons.

polly34

[23]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 3

i do not think without a trace's cancellation has anything to do with jack/sam and the personal stuff with the characters. in the first three seasons there was loads of jack, and he was always the centre of the show, the problem with the show is the poor writing, the mp cases are really boring and the plot is weak. if you had strong stories, the viewers would not care. the personal stuff does not take up that much of the episode, though i wonder if there would be so many complaints if it was sam/martin.

luvinx

[24]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 20
    polly34 wrote:

i do not think without a trace's cancellation has anything to do with jack/sam and the personal stuff with the characters. in the first three seasons there was loads of jack, and he was always the centre of the show, the problem with the show is the poor writing, the mp cases are really boring and the plot is weak. if you had strong stories, the viewers would not care. the personal stuff does not take up that much of the episode, though i wonder if there would be so many complaints if it was sam/martin.

You said exactly what I was thinking....

rdwing19

[25]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 14
    see, here's my take on this. Sure, Trace is not the same show it was in S1-S3, but I definitely think its MUCH better than the S4-S6 "era," so to speak. It's on its way back to finding its ground. They've gone through so many internal, behind-the-scene changes and are still bringing it good enough ratings. They're spending more on advertisment this season, I've noticed. Even though it's brought in CBS' FIRST Tuesday night win in 14 years earlier this season, that apparently isn't enough for them with the amount of money they're spending. I've heard nothing yet, and I'm afraid we might not get any sort of indication until they release schedules in may ... i guess we just keep hoping...

DBizTV

[26]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 43

Not to argue, but I think the "slump" has been over for at least 4, maybe 6 -8 episodes. I just checked my recent ratings and all but one was over 9, including one 10! But maybe that's just me.

As much as I guess you could say I'm a "Jammer" (if I finally have this "shipping" business down ), I still prefer "Sarcastic Jack". Sometimes the writers make that work with the romance, and sometimes not. But I've thought the last few cases have been great, so what do I know?

ArthurBranch

[27]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 5

Here are my thoughts on the issue after some thinking:

1. I would agree with those who say the Missing Person storylines are kind of weak and the writing could use a bump. Still, they are good shows and the kind you don't want to leave once you turn it on.

2. I'd also agree that the show should be very careful about personal lives of characters. When all the characters have slept with one another that usually means the end of the show. Now I know the Jack/Sam thing has been going on for a long time, but we we've also had Martin/Sam and Elena/Danny. That usually means your regular storylines -- missing persons -- are not as good. I think the writers should take a page out of Law & order and build the show around the storylines -- missing persons -- and make the characters secondary. That means you can still get to know the characters thoughts and feelings, but you won't get as "soap opera" like.

3. I also feel like the show might want to experiment with more crossovers with the CSI franchise. People like crossovers and it boggles my mind wy this doesn't occur more.

4. Get Seasons 3-6 out on DVD for god sake.

DianeCal

[28]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 2
    I agree that a crossover would be good. When WAT had the crossover with CSI, the ratings were very good. Since CSI-NY and WAT are both based in New York, a crossover with those two shows would be plausible. The two-parter would begin on WAT, then conclude the following night. Don't know why the producers of the shows haven't thought of that.

countrymuzluvr1

[29]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    They talk about canceling the shows in order to save money, but I'm wondering what kind of money they're spending on shows like Survivor and Amazing Race where contestants are flown all over the world. Then there's the million dollar pay out for the winners. If CBS wants to save money cancel those shows instead.

I prefer shows that actually have a plot with characters I like instead of supposed "reality" shows which aren't reality at all. Do you know many people that can actually afford to fly around the world to places like Norway, Poland, France, Japan, or Zambia. Not to mention that instead of purchasing plane tickets for just you and your partner on the show they have to buy four because of the cameraman and sound guy.

If CBS was really interested in saving money they would just cancel the most expensive shows, not just the most expensive drama's.

OnePerCentClub

[30]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 35
    I think this show should end this season. The stories are not good anymore and the Jack/Sam relationship has gone from interesting to boring.
    The show has been off the air for while in Latin America. It's not even in the primetime schedule anymore.

agent_0042

[31]May 8, 2009
    • level: 66
    In a preview of Cold Case's finale, Kathryn Morris says that while she wishes the people at Without a Trace the best, she thinks that if it's a choice between Case and Trace, Case's momentum will guarantee it a seventh season.

rdwing19

[32]May 8, 2009
    I think that's a little high-horse of her. I've heard rumors go either way ... As far as i've heard, Trace will be back (only because of ratings)

RuRudy

[33]May 9, 2009
    • level: 1
    This show has done quite well for a long period of time, much of it with diluted plot lines and cheesy writing. It would be a shame to see it go, but I agree with those who point squarely at better writing focused on plot development as the only potential savior. The show has become so much of a soap opera, with the writers so often reversing field after they've gone down paths to nowhere, it's no wonder that there's seemingly no place for the character storyline to go. Like with so many shows, there's been little long-term thinking and discipline to the character development. It's like they're thinking out loud, not thinking things through.

A few tweaks of the current bland formula in favor deeper plots and more stable character relationships could save it. The characters don't need to "grow." Instead, recent episodes appear bent on self-destruction as they panic about renewal, so they are just throwing stuff at the wall hoping something will stick.

rdwing19

[34]May 17, 2009
    Well, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is NOT looking good for Without a Trace. Many believed that it might come down to Without a Trace or Cold Case. Sources have confirmed a Cold Case renewal, which does not bode well for Without a Trace. CBS has made no official announcement concerning Trace, but it is not looking good ... at all.

Jim856796

[35]May 18, 2009
    If the Columbia Broadcasting System is considering the cancellation of Without a Trace, then to save the show would mean it is forced to cut salaries and episode production costs. The series should not be cancelled after the current season. I would rather have the show be renewed for a 22-episode 8th season, which should be the final season of the series. If the threat of cancellation looms on a television series, I am always left with the option of suggesting to renewing that series for a final season.

djariya

[36]May 19, 2009
    • level: 19
    According to Michael Ausiello at EW.com Without a Trace has unfortunately been cancelled.

Tonight's episode is now the series finale.

hal9000_basic

[37]May 19, 2009
    • level: 8
    Hope they give closure to Jack & Samantha.

TesserT

[38]May 19, 2009
    • level: 75
    Broadcasting & Cable: 5/19 Upfronts 2009: CBS Sets Renewals

....Missing persons drama Without A Trace will not be back for an eighth season. The Unit and Eleventh Hour were also cancelled.

...Without A Trace averaged a 2.7 for the season, beating Numb3rs, which earned a 2.1, however, the latter is less expensive to produce. Both Eleventh Hour and Without A Trace averaged a higher rating than Numb3rs and Cold Case. ...CBS renewed dramas, Cold Case and Numb3rs.

Not exactly what I wanted to happen to Trace or 11th Hr.
    Edited on 05/19/2009 8:44pm

Jim856796

[39]May 19, 2009
    Without a Trace has been cancelled after seven seasons and I am literally angry with rage. Though I am not a fan for the series, I wanted the show renewed for an eighth season. But CBS instead cancels the series and the seventh season finale will be a de facto series finale. CBS may not be able to reverse their decision. Without a Trace and Cole Case make a good pair, and I hope Cold Case ends its run after its seventh season.

Syd_CB

[40]May 19, 2009
    • level: 15
    TesserT wrote:
    Broadcasting & Cable: 5/19 Upfronts 2009: CBS Sets Renewals

....Missing persons drama Without A Trace will not be back for an eighth season. The Unit and Eleventh Hour were also cancelled.

...Without A Trace averaged a 2.7 for the season, beating Numb3rs, which earned a 2.1, however, the latter is less expensive to produce. Both Eleventh Hour and Without A Trace averaged a higher rating than Numb3rs and Cold Case. ...CBS renewed dramas, Cold Case and Numb3rs.

Not exactly what I wanted to happen to Trace or 11th Hr.

Me neither. On the slightly brighter side, at least those were the only two shows I watch that were cancelled. According to Aussiello Files' list of Fall shows (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/fall-tv-cheat-s.html), all of the other shows I watch will be back.