TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Wizards of Waverly Place Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2012)

Wizards of Waverly Place Submission Info, Guidlines & Rules

SLOZCdude

[1]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 28

Hello! This thread will be all about, well as said in title, Wizards of Waverly Place Submission Info, Guidlines & Rules!!!

Please credit everything in here to the TV.com staff, and the staff members who posted in THIS FORUM.

This thread will be locked to prevent off topic posts. Any questions, comments, or concerns, please PM me. If you, for some reason, need to break one of the followingrules, please PM me and I will tell you whether you can or not.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SLOZCdude

[3]Oct 28, 2007

What is TV.com's general submission/community philosophy?

TV.com aims to remain the largest source of independent television information on the Internet. Realizing that our users might know more about what's on television than we do, TV.com sports an easy-to-use user-submission system that lets registered users contribute and edit almost every piece of data on the site. TV.com also rewards loyal active users by awarding them special privileges on the site.

What are some important must-knows about contributing data to TV.com?

* All content on the site is dynamic and should be considered subject to change. Information you submit could be improved, corrected, or downright rewritten by another user at a later date.

* Because of the collaborative nature of content creation on our site, we may be unable to identify and remove your specific content if it was edited by other members of the community after being submitted.

* Submissions go through a moderation process and do not appear live on the site immediately after submission.

* We maintain the database independent of any studios or production companies. We do not fall to favoritism with submissions and do not cater to specific groups or people.

* TV.com is not meant to be a resume service for people in the industry. Data from credited sources goes through the same submission process and is subject to the same terms as data from any other user.

* TV.com uses a proprietary moderation system that grants trusted members of the community certain enhanced privileges. Continuing to submit quality data to the site over time can make it easier for you to get your submissions approved.

* All forms have instructions for best practices specific to the information you're submitting. Failure to follow the instructions will result in your submission being rejected.
    Can I cut and paste information from other sites and contribute it to a guide?

Submitting summaries copied from ANY webpage is not allowed. This goes for all sites, including IMDB or any "official" network or fan sites. The word "official" does not mean that it's OK to copy. Even though you are copying the "official" summary, you do not have permission to use it, nor does CNET (sometimes a network may specifically ask us to post a summary which they have already written, but this is rare). (check out the US Copyright Office website for more details, if you are not sure about copyright laws and what this means).

Can I add a link to a page from another site outside of TV.com?

Yes, provided you submit them to "User Submitted News." This feature can be found on the summary page of every guide. This is the ONLY place to submit links to pages outside of TV.com; you can NOT post links to pages outside of TV.com anywhere else in the guides. Links to pages within TV.com are allowed anywhere in the guides.

Basically, all types of links which point to any reference site or fansite, or anything similar that has any type of valuable info. about the specific show/person, is allowed in the "User Submitted News" section of guides. This now includes submitting links to official network sites. We figure the more information made available the better. The whole point of TV.com is to be a great resource for television, right? As long as what you are submitting is a specific webpage that is dedicated/relevant to the guide you are adding the link to, then it's fine (i.e., links the show's official webpage, not the network homepage).

How do I request deletion of a show or person guide from TV.com?

You should use This form to request the deletion of a show or person guide.

How do I submit new information to an existing show on TV.com?

There is a "contribute" button on every show page. By clicking on this button you can find the forms specific to the information you would like to submit. Most forms deal with information attached to a specific episode of a show and not the show itself. In certain cases, specific data--like show images, news, or stars--may be locked, with access limited to TV.com staff and the editor of that show.

How do I make changes to incorrect, existing data on TV.com?

Almost all data on the site will have a small "edit" link listed after the entry. Clicking it will jump you to a prefilled form that lets you edit the current data. Certain data, such as the show summary or cast, is often locked, with access limited to TV.com staff and the editor of that show.

How long do submissions normally take to reach the live site?

Times vary per show, per data submitted, and even per user. We use a proprietary scoring system to prioritize and qualify submissions. If the show has an active editor, most submissions get processed within a couple of days. Submissions to shows without an editor can take longer, since they are processed directly by our staff. We review new episode submissions and any data submitted to current, on-air shows as soon as possible. In most cases, moderation time doesn't exceed one week and is often much shorter, but we almost always have a backlog of data to process.

I just joined the site, and it won't let me submit information because I am not level 2. What does this mean?

All registered users on the site have a level attached to them. Levels are a fun and fair way to reward and identify prominent community members. All users start at level 1 and must reach level 2 to gain the ability to submit content to the site.
    A contribution I submitted was rejected! What's the deal?

There are many reasons a submission is rejected. Most of them have nothing to do with our thinking your submission was incorrect. We process thousands of submissions each day, and a portion of those submissions are duplicates. This is especially true for current, on-air programs. In such cases we mostly take the best bits of a couple of user submissions and push that to the live site, and then we reject the duplicates. Other reasons for rejection include:

Bad Grammar/Spelling - We're not going to reject an entry for simple grammatical errors but please, PLEASE, write complete sentences. "Is a fan of Dave Mathews" or, "likes cake", are not complete sentences. Also, the moderators don't have time to spell check your work so please take the time to check your own spelling.

Copy and Paste - You cannot copy and paste information from IMDB, or Yahoo, or any other site; that material is copyrighted. Write your own bio or synopsis, or paraphrase one that's already been written, get creative. Do not copy someone else's work.

Links/Email Addresses - You cannot include links to commercial websites or personal websites and we would rather you did not include your own or someone else's email address.

Improper Formatting
    - Please read the FAQ for information on formatting. Quotes, for example, should look like this: name: quote. The moderators don't have time to re-format your submissions.

Pictures - Most of the pictures users submit to TV.com are copyrighted and cannot be posted without permission. The pictures you see on TV.com have been posted by TV.com with permission from the owners. Simple rule: don't post pictures.

False Information
    - In order to accumulate points, some users have decided to change episode numbers, season numbers, air dates, etc., without bothering to check the accuracy of their information. This causes problems and it's a big headache for the people who have to go back and fix everything. It's okay to change an airdate, or an episode number, etc., if you know it's incorrect, but please be certain.

Hearsay/Gossip - Trivia is one thing but let's leave statements like, "has a thing for Lindsay Lohan", and, "living with mystery man in Miami" to the tabloids. We'd like to stick to the facts.

Posting to the Wrong Form - Trivia belongs in trivia, bio's belong in bio, quotes in quotes and etc. Again, it takes time to go back and fix these things so please be aware of which form you're adding to.

Duplicate Entries - Sometimes it can't be avoided, we understand that there's a lot of folks out there and there is bound to be some overlapping. All we ask is that you take a minute to check to see if the information you're intending to post has already been posted.

Nonsense - Some examples of nonsense would be: "she's sooooooo hottt!!!"; "I would like to go on a date with her!!!"; "is the best actor ever!!!!" This information isn't valuable to anyone and really doesn't have any place in the guides.

What is "gaming" and what is the penalty for it?

Gaming basically means cheating. Someone "gaming the system" might submit false information or delete and re-post information over and over again; they might add a comma to a summary that needs no comma, or add an alias that does not exist. Sometimes someone will add one piece of information to a form that allows you to add several pieces of information, one at a time, in order to gain as many points from that form as possible. The goal is to accumulate as many points as they can without adding any useful information or doing any real work. "Gaming" can cause a huge backlog of pending submissions wasting both the moderator's and editor's time, and delaying good submissions from being accepted in a timely fashion. Anyone found to be "gaming" will first be given sufficient warnings and then dealt with according to the decision of the staff.

How do I add credits for an actor/actress on TV.com?

TV.com is a show-specific, not an actor-specific, database. This means that all links between an actor and a show happen at the show or episode level. For example, if you noticed that Courteney Cox's credits did not include Friends, you would need to submit her as a star on the Friends page, not the Courteney Cox page. Note that guest stars will need to be attached at the episode level, not the show level.

Is there any way to track submissions I've made to the site?

In your user profile, under your history tab, there is a section titled "submission status." This section provides a list of all submissions you have made to the site as well as the current status of each submission. There are three submission-status categories: pending, approved, and rejected. Any comments associated with a submission are also displayed. In addition, private messages (PMs) are sent to your inbox any time an action is taken on your submissions.

I made a mistake in a submission. Is there any way to correct it before it goes live?

Not currently. We may catch your mistake, but if it gets past us you are more than welcome to submit a new entry if you think it should not have gone through.

How do I delete information on the site?

Currently only "blurb" (trivia, allusions, quotes, and notes) data can be deleted, since it's the most apt to change. These types of deletions get processed through the submission queue like any other contribution. All other deletions are handled by the staff and can be requested by sending them a private message. You can usually find a list of staff members by checking the message boards, which update more often than this FAQ.

SLOZCdude

[4]Nov 7, 2007

Updating: November 7, 2007.

When you submit anything, the comments are NOT commenting on the note/trivia/quote.

For example, do not put: "I found that funny when Harper mocked it." Put, "I got this quote from watching the episode. Said by Harper."

It could be as simple as "Adding quote. Source: TV"

I will now reject them if they do not have useful comments

leeseygirl

[5]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 46

Any Trivia/Notes/Quotes/Allusions that could possibly be a spoiler will not be accepted until after the episode airs. Even if you have already seen the episode on YouTube, etc. not all fans of the show have and anything that will ruin the outcome of an episode for those fans will not be accepted (or rejected) until after an episode airs.

Edited on 11/24/2008 2:37pm

leeseygirl

[6]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 46

If you keep hearing things about using proper tags, and you are sitting there thinking, 'OK, what's with this' or thinking 'How do I do that'. You can learn by clicking here.

If you need help, about anything from new tags to how to suggest an improvement. You can learn by checking out The TV.com Help Center.

I want to submit, but I don't know much about it. Go to: TV.com's Submission Guidelines.

Edited on 01/24/2009 6:46pm