Wizards of Waverly Place

Monster Hunter

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Oct 23, 2009 on Disney Channel

• Not really much laughs here but I didn't dislike it

The premise to the story here is good and finally this episode does something to Justin's wizarding career. I liked how the director took a change to Wizards by giving them different pathways. There were some moments that I laughed at, but like its being discussed before, the problem with the show itself and every episode is that they often try way too hard to make a joke or being a comedy, don't try to get many laughs across the episode. That is, the script writers are just not good.

This episode has an interesting story and is the first time we find Max a complete bonehead idiot
  • Epic Character development.

Justin finally completes his basic wizard training and decides to continue his advanced studies with monster hunting! Even Mr. Stufflby (from the gargoyle face guy from "make it happen") returns to congratulate him. Alex is very concerned about this, as Justin may actually become the family wizard, and then decides to knuckle down and start studying. With Alex finally applying herself, Max kinda takes the role as the mischievous younger sibling and looks for a way to sabotage Justin (with his usual naive shtick of course). This ultimately has him accedently separating his conscience from himself (and bringing Moises Arias into a guest appearance on the show). Moises Arias does a great performance as the one who is determined to teach Max right from wrong, but is faced with the difficult challenge of trying to get through that thick head of Max's. However, Max's lack of listening skills then has him freeing the wizard world's most wanted monsters into New York (with some very impressive special effects), while Justin is starting small on level 1 monsters (excluding 'Fakehorseus', the other monsters looked pretty good). Luckily, Alex is able to help by using a special song to help her remember spells and saves Justin for once. This then has her feeling reluctant to the idea that she becoming more like Justin! But I it's so cool to see Alex finally putting more effort into her wizard studies because the one who is destined to be the family wizard ain't so predictable anymore. Though, I hope this doesn't mean Max will be taking over her shtick from now on. The conscience thing was an interesting idea considering Max's unpredictable antics. In general, it's just good to see Moises getting out of that 'Rico' shtick and playing a good guy for once. Plus, he and Max are just a funny pair. And I would really like to see where it goes from here. Bottom line: Great episode, and hope it continues on.
  • Moises Arias: Voice of Reason Part 1

Justin completes his 5000th spell, and so he signs up for Monster Hunting as an independent study. This worries Alex because of how far ahead in the competition, so she changes her attitude and starts acting like Justin would.

Max separates himself from his conscience, and unleashes monsters into New York for Justin to catch. Justin can't by himself, but Alex remembers a spell that frees him from the monsters.

Good opening to the 3-part "saga". I liked this one and I liked the general tone of it. My overall grade is an A+, maybe too high, but I really liked it

A somewhat enjoyable episode of Wizards of Waverly Place tonight that featured a guest appearance by the always funny Fred Willard, as well as cameos by quite a few monsters (including one with a huge arm.)

The problem with this show is really that for every good line, you have to wait 3-4 minutes until the next one. There will never be a time where you laugh for several minutes straight while watching Wizards, even in the show's very best episodes.

I might be older than the show's target demographic, but Wizards of Waverly Place is good fun for all ages.
  • One of my favorites.

Any episode of Wizards of Waverly Place that deals with the wizard competition is a good one. This episode ranks up there with such season 2 classics as "Make it Happen" and "Retest." Justin sort of graduates from wizard class and takes on monster hunting, which is an awesome story concept in its self. It means that the series is moving along, and will soon end up at the wizard competition. Max even shows some concern at the thought of Justin beating them in the competition, which was nice. It was also cool to see Alex step it up a bit to improve her wizard skills with the help of Harper. An interesting thing about this episode was that each of the Russo kids had reversed roles. Max tries to sabotage Justin, which is something Alex would do. Alex, on the other hand, decides to do the right thing and stick to studying, like Justin, and even saves Justin. It was nice to see these turn of events when we're so use to seeing Justin rescuing Alex. Another thing, the scenes that involved Max and his conscience were comedy gold! In fact, Max and conscience could totally have there own show, with comedy routines similar to Laural and Hardy. Great episode!