WKRP in Cincinnati

Up and Down the Dial

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 21, 1982 on CBS

• As good as when it started.

It says a lot about a show when, four years and 89 episodes after it debuted, the cast and crew were still turning in a brilliant and laugh-out-loud funny episode such as this one. It says even more that, over 25 years after this episode first aired, it still has me laughing out loud. The episode's plot has the station finally succeeding--reaching #6 overall in the Cincinnati market. Heck, Dr. Johnny Fever is #1 overall in Morning Drive. As a former DJ myself, I can say with some authority that it doesn't get much better than that. And that turns out to be the problem. Mama Carlson presents Andy with a report from her very expensive consultants who say that the station's Top 40 format has peaked and, since AM won't be able to compete with FM in the long run, they advise a change to an all news format. Mrs. Carlson intends to take that advice. Without spoiling the episode, there is what Mrs. Carlson's butler, Hirsch, calls "An interesting turn" when an inebriated Johnny Fever confronts Mama Carlson. This episode stands as a fine example of the series at it's best, with wonderful acting and interplay between these well established characters and even more wonderful dialogue (with some light physical comedy to boot) that will have you laughing from start to finish. And, for those of us who have, at one time or another, existed in the world of radio, the plot line was realistic and faithful to its subject matter. WGN America is currently airing this series, in digitally re-mastered form, and it still holds up. One of televisions better sit coms, in my humble opinion. Catch it if you get the chance.