Wolverine and the X-Men

Backlash

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 28, 2009 on Nicktoons Networks

• Quicksilver shines as a layered and entertaining character. Time to smash some sentinels!

As action packed as they come, Backlash sees the brotherhood teaming up with the X-Men to fight off the sentinels. As I've always stated, I love seeing the team working together, and here, besides the usual Beast, Iceman, Storm, etc, we are also treated to Domino, Blob, and Avalanche adding to the combat- which is all greatly animated. Shadowcat is forced to stay at home and babysit that kid who projected the giant monster. But plenty of action soon comes their way, too, and as usual, Kitty displays some cool stuff. (boy, it is never not fun watching Pryde phase through things. I suspect she is a favorite for the animators.)

Nightcrawler, Cyclops, even Forge all get to shine, but the real star of this episode is Quicksilver, who's character motivations have been fascinating this season, and shows quite a bit of charisma as leader of the Brotherhood. My only knock on this episode is an abrupt and anti-climatic ending.