Women's Murder Club Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

How did WMC compare to other crime series?

Compared to other crime shows, how did you think WMC scored?

LouisaV

[1]May 13, 2008
    • level: 12

Now that we know that WMC is gone for good, I'm curious to get some feedback from other users. So, how did you think WMC measured up to other similar shows?

Personally I thought it was good. Nothing terribly exciting on the crimes featured but I liked the characters and the bond between them. I thought there was quite a lot of potential there if they kept using that as a focus. And of course I was curious about the kiss me not killer. It's really a shame because I think another season would have given the show the time it needed to mature.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

maxpower03

[2]May 13, 2008
    • level: 42
    I thought it was an interesting twist on the procedural format. The show was pretty lightweight and funny, which automatically set it apart from the Criminal Minds, Cold Case type shows. Of the 12 episodes aired so far, I think most of them were pretty entertaining. The show wasn't groundbreaking or amazing, but for the type of show that it was (a Friday night show aimed at women) I thought it was pretty good.

However, I disliked that the show sometimes became The Lindsay Boxer Hour. Especially since the new showrunners came on board, everything seemed to revolve around her a lot more, while other characters (like Claire, for instance) got barely anything to do. I also thought Laura Harris was miscast, which is odd since I loved her on Dead Like Me and 24. She just seemed too cold and uninterested in the role. Maybe I'm just reading into things but she seemed like the weak link in a really strong cast (in particular Paula Newsome and Tyrees Allen, who were so natural in their delivery, even if their dialogue was bad).

I don't think I'll miss the show, but I'm a little disappointed that ABC didn't allow it time to grow, especially since airing a cheap-to-produce show on Friday nights with a guaranteed audience of around 7-8 million can't exactly do any harm. But I guess the demo just wasn't high enough...

hanarulzdaroom

[3]May 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    Definitely my favourite crime show ever. It had everything I looked for in a show, as well as believable characters who interacted well, the comedy plus crime. The three things don't usually ever go together, especially not the comedy and the crime. From the first episode the show had a much more natural and interesting format than other shows in its genre. I watch a lot of crime shows, SVU, Shark, CSI, Criminal Minds to name a few... but none of them were ever as enjoyable or enthralling as WMC. I actually fell to love the characters which is always a give away that its a great show. If you don't care enough about the characters in the show, you can easily grow to not care about the show. My favourite ever show, Veronica Mars kept me watching every week not just because it was great TV but because I cared about what happened to her. WMC was the same. However if its a straight forward oh-so-serious procedural your looking for than WMC isn't your show. Its strength is in its characters and its cast. Other crime shows can't really compare because there is no other crime show like WMC. I will really miss it.

LouisaV

[4]May 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    hanarulzdaroom wrote:
    My favourite ever show, Veronica Mars kept me watching every week not just because it was great TV but because I cared about what happened to her.

i think you hit the nail on the head there. I wonder when we're going to get another show like that where the character(s) are really worth following. On all the other crime shows, the crime takes the focus and even if we are fed tidbits of the characters' lives, it's never enough for us to give a damn.

Ozmozz

[5]May 14, 2008
    • level: 2
    I love crime shows but this one was different because they had good cases but it was more lighthearted and you got to see them interact outside the case/courtroom/crime lab and a little into their private lives, which shows like CSI's rarely do.

vicky24c

[6]May 14, 2008
    • level: 24
    I don't think that its like any crime show on the air right now. Its kinda like a Law & Order and GA cross over to me. Which is fab! I am so going to miss this show.

hanarulzdaroom

[7]May 14, 2008

LouisaV wrote:
    hanarulzdaroom wrote:
    My favourite ever show, Veronica Mars kept me watching every week not just because it was great TV but because I cared about what happened to her.
    i think you hit the nail on the head there. I wonder when we're going to get another show like that where the character(s) are really worth following. On all the other crime shows, the crime takes the focus and even if we are fed tidbits of the characters' lives, it's never enough for us to give a damn.

Yeah, I mean if you follow any show for long enough (for example SVU) then you eventually develop a slight attachment to the characters... but it takes time. With Women's Murder Club, even with just 13 episodes, I sort of feel like I have lost a friend... as I did with Veronica Mars. Someone leaving a show like SVU has a much smaller impact on the show than if anyone (if it hadn't been cancelled) left WMC (can you imagine ANY of the club leaving... I certainly couldn't).

I'm just so mad it's been cancelled. The show, the cast, the producers, and most of all the viewers deserved better.

iluvgilmore7791

[8]May 17, 2008
    • level: 19
    I think that it is one of the best crime shows out there. It is a lot better than most. I can't believe that they canceled it.

angelandspike

[9]May 18, 2008
    • level: 66
    I don't watch a lot of crime shows. Ordinarily, they just aren't my kind of show. However, this one was different. I really enjoyed the strong female characters. Most shows don't have so many of them. I also thought the whole cast had great chemistry. They managed to keep James Patterson's signature on it even though they had to change it a bit since it was on television. It was still obvious to me that it had come from stories he'd written. I haven't read any of this particular series, but I will now. At any rate, I think it was one of the better shows on television and it's just a shame ABC didn't understand that.

MultiMaxX

[10]May 19, 2008
    • level: 3

I am a big fan of the crime drama, Law & Order and Cold Case being my favorites. My number 1 was Women's Murder Club because it was more focused on the characters and their stories. That's what set it apart. Lets face it...anyone can do a crime show that is all about the crime, and maybe 2 seasons in you learn that the leading character has an ex that made their life hell...who doesn't?!

But to do a show about people and how they live and love and get on...and have that intertwined within a good cop drama...now that's a show...or at least it was a show...now it's just a memory... I am sad that television has become nothing but reality shows...I watch TV to get away from reality...I don't care if your smarter than a fifth grader, or you think you can dance or sing, or need a wife or are a batchelor, or MTV put you in a house so you could all get drunk and fight for 12 weeks... I don't care... and I hope I am not alone when I say enough is enough...

I wish ABC had just a little faith in the shows that it airs...I guess it's all about the money.. and here I thought it was about good tv...

hanarulzdaroom

[11]May 19, 2008
    MultiMaxX wrote:

I am a big fan of the crime drama, Law & Order and Cold Case being my favorites. My number 1 was Women's Murder Club because it was more focused on the characters and their stories. That's what set it apart. Lets face it...anyone can do a crime show that is all about the crime, and maybe 2 seasons in you learn that the leading character has an ex that made their life hell...who doesn't?!

But to do a show about people and how they live and love and get on...and have that intertwined within a good cop drama...now that's a show...or at least it was a show...now it's just a memory... I am sad that television has become nothing but reality shows...I watch TV to get away from reality...I don't care if your smarter than a fifth grader, or you think you can dance or sing, or need a wife or are a batchelor, or MTV put you in a house so you could all get drunk and fight for 12 weeks... I don't care... and I hope I am not alone when I say enough is enough...

I wish ABC had just a little faith in the shows that it airs...I guess it's all about the money.. and here I thought it was about good tv...

I agree so much! The whole point of TV is to distract you from reality... yet they keep pushing it in our faces. Money, money, money... is nothing sacred anymore because thats all the world seems to care about these days. Money, then power... and I am not just refering to Tv now... but all aspects of our world.

shellymg

[12]May 26, 2008
    • level: 5

This was a unique show that will be sorely missed (by me anyway)......it is the only crime show that had a bit of everything from comedy to charactors interacting!!!!! i can not believe it has been canceled and will be awhile before another show like this comes along if it does

dude6363

[13]May 28, 2008
    • level: 60
    I don't EVER watch crime drama's but I was drawn to WMC, so they got someone who's a new demographic. So since I don't normally like shows like this I have to say this is the best crime series i've ever watched, because I have given crime series's a show and I just don't have a taste for them.

ladybritcomfan

[14]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 36
    I think the show got a raw deal. They used the writers strike as an excuse to cancel the show when they should have given it another chance.

buffyangel4evr_

[15]May 5, 2009
    • level: 20

ladybritcomfan wrote:
    I think the show got a raw deal. They used the writers strike as an excuse to cancel the show when they should have given it another chance.

Yeah, WMC definately got the short end of the stick last year. Not just the writers' strike, lame escuse, but from a network fanous for cancelling quality programming in lieu of crappy reality shows.

BTW, love the M*A*S*H quotes, that's one of my favorite cl*ssic shows of all time. Started the year I was born and I own all the seasons on DVD.