Women's Murder Club Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

Women's Murder Club Officially Canceled

maxpower03

[1]May 12, 2008
    • level: 42
    ABC has canceled Women's Murder Club. Tomorrow night's episode, Never Tell, is now the series finale.

It's been a great 13 weeks, filled with great performances, great dialogue and some pretty good mysteries for the Club to solve.

Thoughts? I personally think ABC was never that big on the show anyway. Despite pretty much saving their Friday nights, the behind-the-scenes changes and decision to air it opposite the powerhouse that is SVU just killed the show.

Source The Hollywood Reporter
    Edited on 05/12/2008 11:48am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AngieHarmonrox

[2]May 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    No why would the cancel a greeat show like this one???

mdstudio

[3]May 12, 2008
    • level: 5

Mostly because of demographics. Too bad.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/womens-murder-club-abc-kills-angie-harmon-series/

TesserT

[4]May 12, 2008
    • level: 75

May 12th eonline: Women's Murder Club is gone, as we reported last week (WMC just hasn't been the same since show runners Liz Craft and Sarah Fain were let go following the end of the strike).

Even though announcements aren't being made by NBC until tomorrow, bad news sure does get out fast! Too bad - I really enjoyed this show - guess I'll just have to be content with the books. Here's hoping Angie Harmon is back on TV soon.

iluvgilmore7791

[5]May 12, 2008
    • level: 19
    That's terrible. I can't believe they canceled it.

Revolos55

[6]May 13, 2008
    • level: 33
    It sucks that it was cancelled, but you have to admit that the two post-strike episodes so far weren't really up to par with the other 10.

setherooo

[7]May 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    This really stinks that they are canceling a really well written show. The drama and crime procedural was great. The cast was very cool and they seemed to have good chemistry.

Such a shame.

MultiMaxX

[8]May 13, 2008
    • level: 3

It's really starting to annoy me that the few great shows coming out are being written off before they have a chance to develope. In my opinion WMC is a better show than all of the Law & Order/CSI spin offs combined...Sad ...WMC you will be missed... I will add you to the list...Firefly, Drive, Dresden Files, Standoff, Studio 60, New Amsterdam...etc..

Soon it will be nothing left except Farmer Wants a Yet Another Wife and Rock of Love 20... I really hate reality shows...

hanarulzdaroom

[9]May 13, 2008
    • level: 6

MEH! I am so upset and pissed off! I hate ABC! Okay I agree that the last two episodes were not as good as the other 10 but they were still great TV! I can't believe it! I hate networks! I have had it with them cancelling all the best shows! Women's Murder Club was like the only thing that I have been really into since they cancelled the best show ever... Veronica Mars. And now this has gone! What is wrong with these people! Is it all about money?! Why can't people make TV for the sake of making GOOD TV!? I am SOOOOOOOOOO Annoyed!!! Why?! I am seriously considering just tuning out from all TV all together. Its just so unfair that you commit yourself so much to a show only for people to take it away. Grrrrrrr I am so angry! Did they even give us a chance to fight for it?! Yeah I signed the petition but usually they give a longer period before they announce their decision for definite. So annoyed! And the poor cast! Poor Angie Harmon! Everything she has committed to since Law and Order just doesn't seem to do well, which is wierd since she is such a great actress. She said herself about them having five seasons down the line... even she thought it would do well. Its a great show, its just not fair. I mean look at some of the other garbage that gets another season, yet this gets cancelled! I am SO not happy!

Sorry about the rant... I guess I better change my sig...

PMcOuntry

[10]May 13, 2008
    • level: 7

I've said it before and I'll say it again. ABC cannot stand to have a hit show on their network, they must like being in 3rd place for eternity!

TV is being replaced more and more by reality TV and less by well written, entertaining shows!

I will admit that the past 2 eps were not as good as the first 10, however, I still loved the series.

This is very sad news indeed for me and my family, we really enjoyed the show. I have never watched a show on ABC until now and I probably won't bother again.

This has been the fate recently of so many good shows on many networks, I remember falling in love with Related which left with a cliffhanger, American Dreams, a GREAT show gone.

It really annoys me that they can have 3 CSI's that are on forever and a zillion Law & Order and how many seasons has ER been on now...but good, fresh, new shows never make it.

Personally, I think networks should take a chance and give shows like WMC at least 2 seasons to see if it picks up.

*steps of soapbox*

hanarulzdaroom

[11]May 13, 2008
    PMcOuntry wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. ABC cannot stand to have a hit show on their network, they must like being in 3rd place for eternity!

TV is being replaced more and more by reality TV and less by well written, entertaining shows!

I will admit that the past 2 eps were not as good as the first 10, however, I still loved the series.

This is very sad news indeed for me and my family, we really enjoyed the show. I have never watched a show on ABC until now and I probably won't bother again.

This has been the fate recently of so many good shows on many networks, I remember falling in love with Related which left with a cliffhanger, American Dreams, a GREAT show gone.

It really annoys me that they can have 3 CSI's that are on forever and a zillion Law & Order and how many seasons has ER been on now...but good, fresh, new shows never make it.

Personally, I think networks should take a chance and give shows like WMC at least 2 seasons to see if it picks up.

*steps of soapbox*

I so agree, and no you stay on that soap box! Networks need to know how we all feel! Its just wrong to cancel good shows without giving them a chance!

vicky24c

[12]May 13, 2008
    • level: 24
    I am gutted about this news. But I miss admit that putting the show against SVU was a mistake. SVU has a strong fan base that can not be broken. I am so upset about this news. It seems like every time that ABC gets a good show they cancel it.

pinklavender

[13]May 13, 2008
    • level: 23
    Another great show bites the dust ... what is wrong with these networks??? I mean WTF are they on? What do they expect? How can a show be given a proper chance when they keep chopping and changing the air dates? With all the good shows cancelled this week ... I truly despair! I notice a lot of the crap ones have been renewed ... but the good ones not! Help me out here ... I am thinking of a word that has to do with pots being tossed ... oh yes ... toss....... the lot of them!

vendbien

[14]May 14, 2008
    • level: 25

It won its time slot half the time on Fridays (pre-strike)... somthin's goin on here beyond ratings and demos... maybe someone will come up with the real answer.

Also there is nothing stopping it from getting picked up by another network. This would qualify as a big hit on NBC and it's got a Law & Order feel to it...???

Ozmozz

[15]May 14, 2008
    • level: 2
    You have all said exactly what I feel about the cancellation of this show. It's just wrong, wrong, wrong. Because of the strike interruption, why can't ABC give the new shows another season to prove themselves. Just about everyone I know watches it and loves it but being in Australia I guess we don't count. I don't get how they keep rubbish like According to Jim, Scrubs & Boston Legal and cancel gritty shows with good actresses, grrrrrrr.

nova_lover

[16]May 14, 2008
    • level: 2
    Did anyone ever wonder why they switched it to Tuesdays? I mean it got good ratings on it's old time slot.... I think they tried to "kill" it off, so now they can use the excuse that the ratings weren't good and what not.

sbhinyo

[17]May 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    I liked this show i'm sad this got cancelled it was a great show and i can't believe ABC is cancelling another good show with woman. Ugh, i hate this!

maxpower03

[18]May 14, 2008
    • level: 42
    Ozmozz wrote:
    You have all said exactly what I feel about the cancellation of this show. It's just wrong, wrong, wrong. Because of the strike interruption, why can't ABC give the new shows another season to prove themselves. Just about everyone I know watches it and loves it but being in Australia I guess we don't count. I don't get how they keep rubbish like According to Jim, Scrubs & Boston Legal and cancel gritty shows with good actresses, grrrrrrr.

While everybody's understandably mad, there's no point in attacking other shows. Especially Boston Legal, which has been screwed around by ABC pretty much ever since it began.

hanarulzdaroom

[19]May 14, 2008

I have had a day to calm down, but I am still really annoyed and upset! Someone said that maybe it would be picked up by another network, but I think we would of heard something by now... the TV.com article about ABC's fall line up didn't even mention WMC, cancelled or other wise. What... is it not worth a mention?! I am just so gutted. But I don't think its just ABC with all the ridiculously unfounded decisions atm, Moonlight has been cancelled, as well as Shark by CBS. Both of which were good shows with a decent fan base (especially Moonlight) and good ratings! I just don't understand it. I know that we will all lose out by WMC not being renewed but I hope ABC realise how much they lose out too with how many viewers they will lose. I am actually considering never watching ABC again... even if it means no lost. Its worth it to show my outrage. I am just too pissed off.

Also, I understand people laying into other shows... were upset! Its when they bring back reality tv shows which are just total rubbish, yet cancel great shows like WMC for, from what I can tell, no reason.

I have not been this upset over a cancellation since we lost Veronica Mars. In fact I am probably more upset... while VM will always be my favourite show of all time, at least it got a pretty decent run of 3 full seasons. WMC only got 13 episodes! Give it a chance at least! Its liking euthanising someone who has a cold! Completely unnecessary and crazy as your not giving them a chance to get better! Not to mention the fact they still have so much life in them! ...Sorry, I like analogies.

Edited on 05/14/2008 1:34pm
    Edited 3 total times.

vicky24c

[20]May 14, 2008
    • level: 24
    I am also still annoyed about this. After only 13 episodes. It must have had good ratings before as they brought it back after the strike, but after only 2 episodes cancelling it. Not Fair. Also I don't think that the bosses over at ABC understand that this show is good and has a good fan base.