Women's Murder Club

Train In Vain

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on ABC

• Train Damage

7.6
    A step-down from the pilot, Train In Vain was still an entertaining hour, but lacked some of the comedy of the pilot, and featured a mystery that was solved a little too neatly.

The mystery reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons where after a mystery is solved, Homer snarkily blurts out that "everything's been wrapped up in a neat little package!" The entire case this week seemed way too easily worked out, especially where Alberto Fuentes was concerned. His decision to quit the gang was handled a little too cleanly, and the entire "murder suspect set-up" ending seemed like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and produced a lame coda which would never happen in reality.

Still, I liked the interaction between the four women, especially between Lindsay and Cindy. I loved how Lindsay was becoming increasingly irritated by her and the dialogue between them sparkled, especially her "how are you always around??" retort at the end of the episode.

Linda Park was introduced to the show, and while I do appreciate some more color on the show, especially in a city like San Francisco, it's disappointing that she's being written as a huge b*tch. I know it's only her first episode, but it would be welcome if the writers elaborated on her a little, instead of making her such a caricature.

The mystery blew, but the dialogue between the main cast was as great as it was in the pilot.

Director: Michael Fields