Wonder Woman

Amazon Hot Wax

Aired Unknown Feb 16, 1979 on CBS

• Wonder Woman the Musical

Amazon Hot Wax

Very much a case of 'Lynda Carter's got a great voice and artisitc timing so let's do a musical episode '. But it's still pretty good, I really like the idea that they can find out the disappeared popstar's hideout through interpreting his album cover, more music folks should do that today (anyone else 'Quest for the golden hare?). Such a shame that this occurred in the era before mainstream TV series were obliged to do a musical episode (Xena, Buffy, Scrubs, Ally McBeal etc), some of which were pedestrian and obligatory, some of which were exemplary and superlative. Also we have 'Beverley Hills Cop' star Judge Reinhold in his first ever role as the lesser evil part of the evil duo. A hugely different image for Diana, no longer the Sarah Palin lookalike but actually someone whom you could believe was a popstar back in the 70s. Kinda weak excuse that an organisation like the IADC would be involved with something so minor as extortion in the music business, they seem to be a combination of the FBI/CIA able to operate on both US terriroty and foreign soil (or at least as long as the stock footage lasted). Rick Springfield once again in a very different role to what we've seen him in before. Steve relegated to the DC office, very much a bit player from now on which frankly I see as something of a shame, Wonder Woman would have been so much better if we'd have had some sort of romance in our favourite Amazon's life rather than have her as some sort of ultra-hot glacial eunic, just because she doesn't need men or women doesn't mean she shouldn't want them. On a more prosaic level Eric seems to hope to use the casting couch to begin a relationship with Diana but never even gets a look in, at least he appears to be placated by the magic of Diana's voice in the studio. A pretty good ep, Lynda Carter maintaning a career through her music specials long after Wonder Woman was cancelled. You often think that she was a musician who fell into being an actress than the other way around (the anti-Elvis?). The group Anti-Matter with all it's gimmicks kind of resemble the 70s supergroups KISS, Earth, Wind and Fire and The Bay City Rollers.

7/10

• Diana goes undercover at a music studio..

In this installment, Diana goes undercover as a singer recording an album for a producer that is having problems with blackmail. This script is ironic as Lynda Carter had a brief singing career at the time Wonder Woman was on the air and lends to the ease which Diana is shown in the studio.

A couple of things to note about this episode:

- We see the use of slow motion for when Wonder Woman is in pursuit of a runaway van. This was a common used technique for many of the shows filmed in the 70's and it is used in a very impressive manner.

- The other singers seen at the studio are a bizarre bunch, to say the least. A duo, with Judge Reinhold playing a part in an early for this actor, that are dressed up to look like twins at all times which is a strange sight at times. However, the strangest people are the trio of guys that wear white face make-up seemingly at all times and drive around in a van that blows a loud horn and shoots fireworks constantly. Funny, I don't remember 70's singers dressing up like that on a constant basis...unless you're imitating KISS or the Osmonds.
  • Feels Like Paradise

Funny episode with Rick Springfield and a host of other pop musician's of the 70's Lynda shows off her skill by singing 2 songs. Both of which were on her first record "Portrait." Since then Lynda has gone on to perform all over the world and has released 2 additional albums or jazz and pop standards.
WZME