Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Meets Baroness Von Gunther

Aired Unknown Apr 21, 1976 on CBS

7.9
  • Wonder Woman Meets Baroness Von Gunther

Got to say I was disappointed with this ep, it seems pretty pointless. We have the 'cute kid' syndrome and that's never good. Steve Trevor knocked out again whilst WW starts her long tradition of being gassed, chloroformed and chained up We also have her doing her imtiation once more. Very little to recommend it at all. 3/10

• Wonder Woman meets up with an old foe.

6.3
    Christine Bedford as "Von Gunther" is a great combination of bad girl and class. Her acting is sufficient for the role, although her attempts at an accent are inconsistent and she seems nervous at times while speaking. Lynda Carter has barely anything to do compared to Bedford and Lyle Waggoner. The action sequences aren't fantastic, but the production staff was trying out some new things, so it's understandable. Bradford Dillman as "Arthur Deal" turns in probably the strongest performance in episode, with the right balance of humor and drama in his characterizations. Why there is a child hanging around a women's prison is somewhat puzzling, however. The episode moves a bit too slowly - almost deliberately commented on as Wonder Woman casually jogs up the road to save Steve.
  • Diana Prince and Steve Trevor are required to investigate a Nazi spy ring by interviewing an imprisoned ex-Nazi named Paula Von Gunther. A corrupt prison official and the adventurous ten-year-old son of the warden lead our heroes into a web of trouble.

7.4
    This episode is a nice even-tempered chapter that sets up the basic formula for the entire first season of the series. The story itself is a bit more complex than I would have given this show credit for, but it is hardly what I would call brain-food.

I especially enjoyed the fact that the villain in this episode is Paula Von Gunther, a reoccurring character from the original Wonder Woman comics crafted by Charles Moulton.

There are a couple of missteps here though. Firstly, there is the idea that Wonder Woman would leave her magic lasso in the care of a ten-year-old. Now while I realize that she is fresh off the plane (as it were) from Paradise Island, I refuse to believe that her naivete would allow her to be so completely trusting that she would leave her prized weapon in a pair of unreliable hands.

There is also a pretty rough blooper towards the very end. After an embarrassingly silly scene involving WW and Paula Von Gunther rolling down a hill together, Wonder Woman makes a comment using knowledge that only Diana was privy to (regarding a book about democracy that Von Gunther had been reading). Steve Trevor is present during this slip of the lip, but do you think he picks up on it? Nope. Still, this is a decent episode and firmly sets the stage of events that construct the framework for the entire first season.