Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman vs. Gargantua!

Aired Unknown Dec 18, 1976 on CBS

• Its Murders In The Rue Morgue – Wonder Woman style! Those nefarious Nazis have unveiled their most hideous scheme to date – they are making a man dress up in a terrible party-store gorilla costume and wrestle with Lynda Carter! What dastardly villainy!

The comic book geek in me desperately wants to find something redeemable about this episode. But the only silk purse to come out of this sow’s ear is the ineffable beauty of Lynda Carter, whose screen presence never ceases to amaze me. But outside of that, this episode is pretty corny, even by comic book standards. The Nazis using a costumed super-gorilla trained to attack cardboard cut-outs of Wonder Woman simply smacks of material better suited for the Adam West Batman series. And let me tell you, Gargantua, the Super-Gorilla looks bloody awful! This costume is so incredibly fake looking that it makes the ape prosthetics from the old Planet Of The Apes flicks look like a Steven Spielberg movie. There is even this really laughable scene, wherein Wonder Woman befriends the psychotic simian and later greets him as Diana Prince. She lowers her glasses slightly and Gargantua RECOGNIZES that it is Wonder Woman. Even Steve Trevor hasn’t been able to figure that one out! And he’s an Air Force Major! That’s pretty sad Steve when even gorillas prove to be more perceptive than you. Still, the episode can be fun to watch, and even more fun to mock. I still give it above-average marks despite the sheer stupidity of it.