Wonderfalls

Caged Bird

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 15, 2004 on FOX

• A satisfying conclusion to a brilliant, short-lived series

As the last episode of Wonderfalls approached I was bracing myself for that abrupt, unsatisfying ending typical of shows that hit early cancellation like Earth II and EZ Streets. In the final episodes of teh series Jaye's animals seemed to be downright malevolent, and I wondered if there was some pupose to it all and afraid i would never know.

But surprisingly, this last episode tied everything together beautiful. In the end the story arc was an extended versio of each show in which Jaye is forced to perform puzzling actions that ultimately pay off. It's a clever idea in a consistently clever series, and shows that the writers had something in mind beyond just a goofy episode a week. While the series leaves you with the big question of why, it neatly ties off its sory threads while leaving enough for the next season that never happened.

In fact, as sad as I am that there are no more Wonderfalls, the ending is so satisfying and complete that it gives the show the quality of one of a limited run series that is only meant to have 13 episodes.

That being said, this was a good but not great episode of the series. It's not as funny as the best episodes, the "give him heart" line is to obscure to ever make its meaning clear. It feels like some things may have been rushed, as though the writers were eager to wrap things up quickly. It's possible that this episode was written when they suspected the show wouldn't make it and they wanted to make sure people weren't left with a lot of questions, which if true just shows what nice folks they are. Of course, the network ruined their gift of a satisfying ending by killing the show way before then, so thanks the good folks at Logo who revived this series.