Wonderfalls

Lying Pig

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jul 25, 2004 on FOX

• When the animals instruct Jaye to "mend what was broken," her own overly altruistic heart pays the price.

After Heidi's surprise return cliffhanger in "Safety Canary," "Lying Pig" opens with a brief flashback to that scene to show us what really happened. Where the end of "Safety Canary" was shot mostly from Jaye's perspective, the beginning of "Lying Pig" gives the scene from Eric's point of view. He was actually trying to resist Heidi, unwilling to accept her apologies and her offer to return to his old life. When Jaye shows up and finds Eric and Heidi together, he stumbles out of The Barrel to get some air. Talk about a tough night.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg for Eric. His character becomes so wishy-washy during this episode that I had difficulty identifying or sympathizing with him at all. First he refuses to take Heidi back, still upset with her for breaking their days-old wedding vows. He admits to Mahandra that he loves Jaye, but he then tells Mahandra that he won't actually tell Jaye this unless Jaye first gives him some glimmer of hope. The animals, however, have instructed Jaye to "mend what was broken," which she interprets to mean that she has to save Eric's marriage. Hence, even though Jaye too admits to Mahandra that she has romantic feelings, Jaye won't say a word about it to Eric.

Confused yet? After Jaye accidentally hits Heidi on the head with a television ("It was a portable!") and Heidi feigns amnesia to win Eric back, Eric begins to soften towards Heidi. Or, perhaps more accurately, Eric hardens towards Jaye, which makes Heidi look better by comparison. I got the feeling Eric had given Jaye an unspoken ultimatum to admit her feelings, and that the clock was ticking. When Jaye fails a final, dramatic test to tell Eric she loves him, the clock expires and he accepts Heidi's offer of a second wedding ceremony and the two of them drive off to an all-night wedding chapel.

When the animals tell Jaye not to miss the ceremony, she sets off in hot pursuit. Instead of the standard fairy-tale ending where Jaye and Eric admit their feelings, we get a Eric's half-convincing speech about how Jaye made him realize he could still love someone . . . in this case, Heidi. Jaye finally does tell Eric that she's "crazy about [him]," but all this gets her is a kiss on the cheek and the opportunity to witness Eric and Heidi's second ceremony.

Eric's final choice seemed to be less about which women he wanted and more about which wanted to be with him. Or, at least, which woman vocalized that desire louder. Is Eric really that starved for love and attention? He essentially chose Heidi because she professed her love and Jaye couldn't seem to get the words out. One could even make the argument that Eric married Heidi (again) to get back at Jaye. Eric's choice--when he finally made one--rang hollow with me, which is why I can't give this episode a higher rating.

The subplots were amusing distractions from the main theme, particularly Aaron's efforts to round up all of the animals that had talked to Jaye. Jewel Staite did a marvelous turn as Heidi, who resembles a richer, more proper version of Jaye.

Finally, I find it hard to believe that Jaye would have immediately jumped to the conclusion that the snake's instructions to "mend what was broken" referred to Eric and Heidi's marriage. Why wouldn't she have assumed the snake was talking about Jaye and Eric's relationship? That was broken as well, wasn't it? Jaye would have far more to gain herself by mending that, rather than working to her own detriment by forcing Eric back to Heidi. If she had taken that interpretation, she would have admitted her feelings for Eric, who likely would have told Heidi to pack her bags. Perhaps this is supposed to demonstrate how altruistic Jaye has truly become, or perhaps deep down inside Jaye doesn't really want herself to be happy. Either way, I'm not quite sure that I can completely agree with Jaye's interpretation here, especially since she never really considers the much more advantageous alternative.