Wonderfalls

FOX (ended 2004)

Wonderfalls Fan Reviews (83)

• The best one season TV show ever.

Only one season of 'Wonderfalls' has been created, but even that was enough to make me fall in love with the show on the one hand, and cry out loud on the other hand due to the fact that one could enjoy the show for so short a time. It is indeed a pity, that 'Wonderfalls' was under-appreciated, and thus was canceled after its first and only season, as 'Wonderfalls' was interesting, captivating and really fresh show.
    The show concentrates on young and bright heroine Jaye Tyler, played by a really goon Canadian actress Caroline Dhavernas, who is a total underachiever, working in a dead-end job, and with no real intentions on moving on in any way. She understands her dead end position, but she is not really willing to do anything to change that. And that would be that, if not for a fact that one day animal toys start talking to her telling to do different stuff as if the universe itself wants her to move on with her life. And here starts the adventures and all the funny situations :)
    Delightful :D
  • "...by far the best self-contained single season of television ever created."

Wonderfalls, how we hardly knew ye. A mid-season replacement in early 2004 that went unnoticed, and has sadly faded into obscurity. Getting the full-on Fox treatment, only two episodes ever aired, and these episodes were shown a few more times on different nights and times. The biggest crime is that Wonderfalls was the best series of the year, and is by far the best self-contained single season of television ever created. Other than the facts on record, there's really nothing else that can be said other than to find a way to watch it, and mourn with the rest of us. As can be said about many shows that end prematurely, at least what we have is perfect, and we can be glad that the network never got a chance to stagnate the writers. Wonderfalls is true bliss.
  • One of the most underappreciated shows ever.

I can't believe it got canceled! It was original, quirky, funny and cosy. I liked the mood in the series. It was one of those shows that had a good message (helping people), but managed to remain funny and not get too sentimental like for instance, 7th Heaven.

It's not often I like the female characters on TV, because I feel they waste most of the creative writing on men. This was one of the few exceptions for me. Jaye had more personality than what we usually see in women on TV. That was one of the main reasons I liked this show so much, I liked the characters. I have to like the characters on TV in order to feel for them, if I don't like them I just want them to die horribly.

Luckily it had a proper ending at least.
  • Excellent, underappreciated show

I didn't expect much out of Wonderfalls. Actually, I haven't even heard of it. It was recommended to me by an online acquaintance. After watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I was looking for another good serial to watch. So, I decided to give Wonderfalls a try.

The premise was interesting, but I was skeptical. The first episode got me hooked, but the second was less than overwhelming. However, each episode just got better and better from there on, until I watched the entire season in just 2 days. It's very corny humour and a show that can't be taken seriously, yet you do take it almost too seriously sometimes. It's like a rollercoaster that takes you on a crazy, insane ride that's unpredictable.

Definitely worth your time and money (if you plan to buy the DVD, which I intend to buy despite the fact that I've already watched the entire season)
  • Can't believe it got canceled.

I was so sad when this show got canceled! I watched every episode and eventually bought the box-set. It was so interesting and intelligent. Not to mention I loved the show's pairings. Jaye and Eric (for a little while..) Aaron and Mahondra, so perfect!
    I'm not totally sure why it didn't have a bigger following, because I was certainly addicted. Jaye's dead-pan deliveries of her lines were hilarious, and her parents were so funny. Just too bad it had to end. If they brought it back now, I'd TOTALLY watch it. I'm desperate to know what happens with Jaye & Eric. :(
  • Cancelled way before it's time...stupid FOX!

This show was (and still is) one of my personal favourites. The main character was freaking awesome, she was an original; sarcastic, lazy, but carking and kind at the same time. I thought all of the characters were well cast, really enjoyed the bits with her family, and "mouthbreather" was hilarious. I loved how each episode played out, the viewer was never quite sure how things were going to turn out. It never seemed to turn out the way I thought it would, which was a nice suprise in today's world of VERY predicitable story-telling. I could not believe when this was cancelled.....way before it's time. At least they had the decency to bring it out on DVD. Check this out, you will not be disappointed. Oh, and the talking animals (especially the brass monkey) were priceless!
  • An excellent series, cancelled too soon.

This is an underrated show with a unique and joyful sense of style and wit that hasn't been equalled since it left the air. With the dropping of "Pushing Daisies" this season the magic should be recaptured. The pilot certainly gives me hope, and Lee Pace has never been better. I miss Caroline Davernas, and pray to the powers that be that she gets a spot on another show, and soon. I always thought that "Wonderfalls" had one of the best ensemble casts ever assembled.
  • A Great highly creative show! Sorry to see it go!

Even though though this show has similarities to Joan Of Arcadia which was out at the same time. It was much more edgy and quirky with a real sardonic sense of humor. Joan Of Arcadia is a drama with touches of humor and a lot a pathos. But Wonderfalls is a dark twisty comedy. It explores the life of Gen X slacker Jaye Tyler. A Brown graduate who choses to not achieve, working in Niagra Falls at a gift shop (named Wonderfalls) doing retail and living in a trailer. But then her non engaging life style gets shaken up when inanimate objects (always of an animal) start talking to her and telling her to do strange things that eventually turn out for the best in end. The animation of these animals is very well done and those scenes are very funny. Her relationship with her overachieving family and siblings brings out the right amount of tension and always lead to you to a laugh. This show may not be for everyone. But if you have a dark sense of humor,like pulling for the underdog and have a crazy family you'll probably relate to and love this show!
  • Why did the network cancel this?

This show is one of the best of all time and can only be seen now on DVD or on Logo (TV channel). It is written by the guy who wrote Dead Like Me, a show which was also canceled. They weren't canceled because they were bad; they were canceled because Amaricans want to see fast paced action and under no sircomstance do they want to see laugh out lound comedy TV shows. Be smarter then Fox and accually give this show a try by at least watching half of the episodes, instead of only three, which is how many aired before Fox canceled it. Do you call that giving it a chance? I know I don't.
  • Great Show

People just don't appreciate witty shows anymore. This was a great dark comedy that never got a chance to find its niche. Just because these kind of shows require writers and actually thinking as oppossed to the the reality crap that is all over tv at this point. Was just glas that they were smart enough to put the whole season 1 available on dvd so that we can at least see as much of the show as was developed. Much like arrested development a good comedy is never really appreciated anymore. This is what happens when reality tv dominates.
  • A Joan of Arc type girl is summoned to do things presumably by God via inanimate animals: eg. Wax figurines, lawn flamingos, etc.

This show is so frickin' awesome! Shame on the Fox network for cancelling this wonderful show that I am only now getting to enjoy on DVD. I love the wax lion! Smooch faced or not that lion is ridiculously hilarious. And Oh my gosh Tyron Leitso is so hot! This show is bound to be a one season classic for DVD collectors. It is also bound to bite Fox in the butt for cancelling one of the most creative shows to date. I'm going to go buy this series as soon as I get the chance... and I will be on the look out for a smooch faced lion!
  • This critically acclaimed dramedy was great! It's about a twenty-something gift shop worker named Jaye Tyler, just out of Brown University, discovers that figurines start talking to her to do something.

I was a fan of the show since it began in April 2004. I remember watching it on FOX, and then the network cancelled it after four episodes. I was going to start a petition to bring the show back. I remember watching the complete series on dvd. I am glad that I got to watch the nine unaired episodes on dvd. Jaye Tyler is my favorite main character of the series. She can understand the inanimate figurines are talking to her. She works at the Niagra Falls Gift Shop as a cashier in Niagra Falls, New York.
  • Jaye has a degree from Brown and works in a gift shop. One day a wax lion starts talking to her.

One of my all-time favorite shows. It's got a lot of laugh out loud moments, lots of tender moments, and some tear jerker moments. The only episode that I could do without is Barrel Bear. It's a shame that the morons at Fox don't seem to realize when they have a real gem of a show on their hands. Wonderfalls and Firefly were cancelled before they were given a real chance. I found this show on netflix and was curious. I'm glad I tried it. Now I own it on DVD and my sister begs me to let her borrow it all the time. Watch this show and you'll love it too.
  • Another Victim of Idiotic Fox Programming

This show was spectacularly funny, smart and quirky. Created by the same mind behind Dead Like Me, this show was never given a chance by Fox. They showed 4 episodes and cancelled the 5th episode about an hour before it was supposed to air. The DVD set at least allowed you to have closure with the show since they ended it well but the show was never given a chance by Fox, they just moved it around, didn't promote it and cancelled it before it could grow an audience. Jade's(the main character) family was hilarious. I loved her lesbian uptight sister, her posh mother and her dingbat father. She worked a crappy job, drank like a fish and looked for love, who couldn't love that woman or that show. Shame on Fox for cancelling this and other spectacular shows.
  • This isn\'t so much a review, as it is a commentary. The network that dropped this show, seriously screwed the pooch. Allow me to explain.

I don't usually watch television, I only turn my T.V. on about once a month and usually only for a few minutes or to watch a movie. I usually don't watch, because there isn't anything worth watching. If I hear about a show, I'll maybe try to catch an episode to see what the hype is about, but usually that is where it ends. There hasn't been a show that has truly impressed me in years. I was visiting my mother this weekend, and I got bored, so I looked at her pitiful DVD collection, and found something I'd never heard of called "Wonderfalls". I figured it might be good enough to kill a half an hour (long enough for me to get to sleep) so I put it in. I ended up watching the entire 3 disc set. I couldn't turn away. This is the kind of show that I would go out and buy TiVo for, if only it was still on (in fact, that's why I googled it-found it cancelled and came here). If a show is good enough to keep someone like me glued to a television until 5:30 in the morning, then it's a VERY, VERY good show that could have made a lot of money.
  • Axed wayyyy before it's time

The episodes of Wonderfalls that aired were amazing television, the ones that didn't were about ten times better. With each episode the series got funnier and more entertaining, so it's a shame that it went off the air when it did. It's also a shame that we only got those fourteen episodes, because from what I've heard they had some crazy plans for the second and third seasons. Alas, no such luck, so how about some form of continuation of this series, pretty please?
  • Bring it back

I really enjoyed whatching this show it was really sad that they cancelled it after so few of eps. It was one of the best shows to be shown on Fox besides Family Guy,Simpsons, and a few others. I loved the characters and the storyline/ plot I thought it was a great ideal.
  • great show the wife and i really enjoy it,we just wish it was still in production

Once again the tv excecutives get it absolutely right, only to stuff up again, why do they keep repeating the same mistakes.Firstly they get a great cast that work well,a great show that not only looks good but is good,and what do these brainiacs do they AXE it how bright is that.Come on guys and girls when your on a good thing stick to it
  • Jaye Tyler is an ordinary person... until inanimate objects start talking to her. She goes from an underachiever to a good samaritan who tries to help people in very quirky and different ways.

Amazing show that was cancelled way too early and never given a fair shot. Jaye is played perfectly, as are all of the other characters. This show is very groundbreaking, and was cancelled way before its time. The 13 episodes on the DVD, however, are amazing. They really span all different issues, and I wish more could have been filmed.
  • After studying Philosophy, Jaye Tyler finds herself “Over-educated and underemployed” as she predicted in her high school yearbook. She fends off transient tourists in the Wonderfalls gift shop and tries unsuccessfully to fend off all human interaction, b

This compelling program is intelligent, funny, mysterious, adventurous, romantic, dramatic, and oh-so satisfying. Among so many uninspiring new shows and reality television dominating the market today, it is not often I am attracted to any show, much less find myself addicted. This effect this show has on me is mesmerizing, and is just one more example of why the world is unfair. The writing is a perfect blend of sharp, sophisticated humor, physical comedy, character development, and heart. The character interaction is fantastic, especially because Jaye is seen again and again by people as a masochist-turned-angel. The greatest thing about this show is the way each character handles themselves in their roles. Everyone is cast just right, and no one over or under does it. They have a connection that can only be attributed with a hit show, which makes it especially horrifying it sank so fast. Also, Caroline in the Jaye role is simply a knockout. I think this character is particularly interesting because she has a glass wall built around her. Jaye seems to want to avoid all social interaction, but never puts herself in positions that allow her to achieve this. She’s in retail, so she must interact with people (They’re tourists, coming and going but never around long enough for a connection to be made). She acts like she wants nothing to do with her family but does not really try to get rid of them in any meaningful way. And of course, she is constantly intervening in the lives of others to help them in some way because “the monkey told her to” (or the lion, cow creamer, stuffed bear, etc.), almost always to her chagrin and always making the ill-fated “connection” with others. And even though she is a “man eater,” she finds herself wanting a romantic connection with the heartbroken Eric. However, she has developed a hero complex and cannot let Eric know of her “gift,” making it difficult for her to crack the wall.

After watching the DVD (I had to call off work because I could not stop watching) I cried after watching the last episode because I knew it was the last. The reason gems are cancelled is because of financial reasons and has nothing to do with strong fan bases. Let's give Fox a financial reason to bring this show back in the footsteps of Family Guy. Tell everyone you know about this show and get them all to buy the DVD. Quick, before too much time passes! The show makes a great stocking stuffer, and it’s the perfect birthday gift for that person who has everything. What are you still reading this for – we have a lot of store shelves to empty! Alas, this show goes down as one of my all-time favorites, and we should be grateful it got a release – some shows never get that. I just hope the truly terrific cast goes on to do great things, they deserve it. As a person involved in films, I hope to soon be in a position to at least cast Caroline in a production. I have the perfect role for her!
  • The ratings were low because a majority of the public were too stuck on watching easy shows like american idol where there was no thinking (or talent) required.

FOX; they will renew shows like american idol and cops yet they get rid of shows like wonderfalls because of low ratings. The ratings were low because a majority of the public were too stuck on watching easy shows like american idol where there was no thinking (or talent) required.
  • This show by far was the best thing on TV. It was mishandled by the network (FOX) and therefore cancelled. I will dedicate all my time to saving this beautifully brilliant, original series. Taking it off the air was a horrible mistake.

Wonderfalls is on the the last original concepts for a TV series. It had drama, comedy, romance and that general good hearted feeling. Fox says that is was cancelled due to the main charactor (Jaye) being too un-likable. I strongly disagree, her charactor was mis-understood and once you got to know and love her, very likeable. Please give Wonderfalls another chance. Womderfalls being taken off the air was one of the greatest TV MISTAKES of history.

SAVE WONDERFALLS!!!!
  • A smart, reclusive girl finds that there's something bigger than her mind can conceive and it's speaking to her through toy animals and stuffed fish. Following these voices leads to a whole new life-changing experience, full of angst and love.

Interesting, smartly written, directed and acted; a must-see. Each actor is awesome and perfect for each role. Tackles subjects like questioning one's sanity, spiritual awakenings, broken hearts, sibling rivalry, existence, and helping endangered birds mate, for instance, with wit, good sense, and the kind of dialogue that "got me laughing, now you got me crying" as the title song (also brilliant) says. Someone made a bad decision to cancel this show. Bring it back for another season!
  • BUMMER! One season and that´s it?

This was absolutely amazing. It was an absolute coincidence that I got the DVD´s. Never heard about it before which is quite normal because I live in Germany. I wish we had such great stuff on TV over here. As a non-native english speaking girl it was fun to listen to the great dialogues. The characters were well done. I have no idea which episode was the best but in the end I was so sad when I read that this wasn´t a success and that there will be no more episodes at all. I love happy ends and so I was happy seeing Jay ending up with Eric.
  • This show made me realise there are people like me and Jaye out there...

The very first time I saw Wonderfalls was like a revelation to me. I saw my life reflected on screen and felt like there were people out there just like me and Jaye. From then on, I loved watching it. I just wish it was back.It was one of the greatest shows of all times to me.
  • This show really deserves another chance.

In a line-up of shows all hitting on the same these and spin-offs of spin-offs, we finally had something that was completely unique and really on the edge of reality. Really enjoyable television with fascinating charaacters. But the network pulled it after only a handful of episodes. It wasn't given a fair timeslot and it wasn't given a chance to gain an audience - not even enough time for word-of-mouth to bring people in! People were coming to check it out and found it had already been pulled! Give the show another chance! It was fantastic!
  • Wonderfalls is a super funny, quirky and ORIGINAL show. FOX shoved it in a corner Friday 9pm slot with very little advertising and expected it to get good ratings with the 18-34 crowd. Gee wonder why that didn't work...

This is definitely the most original show I've seen in a long time. It is super quirky and funny. I've converted many of my friends into fans from just the first episode. Most are hooked within 10 minutes of the show starting (think the 'sode scene with the family). Oh and the eye candy in the show is pretty good too ;)

I know some people have compared it to Tru Calling and Joan of Arcadia because of the whole someone is talking to you thing but the show is way more creative than either of those. There is way more comedy and wit in Wonderfalls than both of those combined.

It's a shame the show ended up on FOX. Even the WB aired all of the already filmed episodes of their failed shows (Tarzan, Birds of Prey). If FOX had just aired the rest of the episodes - of which ALL were filmed - the ratings would have definitely gone up.

But at least we have the show on DVD and the fact that it is/was airing in the UK, Canada and curently on MTV's TOGO channel.
  • Why, oh why did they end it?

I really do not seem to know much about TV, apparently, because I was certain there would be a second season for this mega - super - ultra funny show.
    However irrational the plot may seem, the idea of talking animals / store merchandise , and the way they influence the plot, is great!
    The show itself is SOOO funny, and except for one or two episodes, it's very nice to watch, and is made of the stuff that would make a 10-seasons show.

I simply do not understand how this show ended up being cancelled. This is, truly, one of the most disappointing things that happened in the passing year.
    I still hope someone would dig it up, and remake it.
  • Well, that\'s not exactly what I said when I first saw this, but I still loved it.

I was bored when the first episode of this gem aired on Sky One. I decided to watch it, and I got hooked.
    The show is wittily written, with lots of black humour and biting irony. The episodes are laid out very well; the animals start to pester Jaye, characters are introduced, and all these loose ends pop up. But, by the end, all the loose ends are tied up, and everyone involved seems to leave with something about their lives better. It\'s hilarious, inspired and inspiring. And, you know, i usually only watch cartoons, but I love this.
  • Why, oh, why??

This show was great! It was funny, sarcastic, and always had an interesting twist. I was very upset when this show got cancelled. It had all the great things that make up a really good show, good lines, story and actors. It's funny how good shows like this one get the boot, and then we have to put up with things like "According to Jim"
< 1 2 3