Wonderfalls

FOX (ended 2004)

Wonderfalls Fan Reviews (83)

• Hooked 20 minutes into the pilot

10 years ago, I watched the pilot episode of Wonderfalls on TV for the first time. About 20 minutes in, the main character, Jaye Tyler, starts chasing after a quarter following a little wax lion's instructions to do so. As she runs down stairs to try and catch the bouncing coin she asks herself, "oh my god, what am I doing?!" At this point, I was completely sold on this show.

Seemingly banal and pointless instructions from (normally) inanimate animal objects like "lick the lightswitch" or "take a picture" have huge ripple effects that ultimately improve Jaye's life and the lives of those she encounters. This show has often been compared to "Joan of Arcadia", which on the surface is apt. However, Wonderfalls is so much more fun and charming. Watching underachiever Jaye go from thinking she's completely lost her marbles to begrudgingly doing what the talking muses tell her to do is nearly always hilarious. Not just because of the absurdity of her tasks, but also due to the show's characters' wit and snark.

While the show is actually pretty grounded (aside from the bossy animal figures) and deals a lot with the characters' relationships, it has at often times reminded me of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Not surprising since one of the show's creators, Bryan Fuller, loves the movie. While Wonderfalls isn't nearly as influenced by the movie as Fuller's other show, Pushing Daisies (also excellent), there's something at the heart of it that captures some of Amlie's magic.

Even 10 years after this show first graced screens, I still don't get tired of watching it again. The great dialog and humor is a huge factor in the show's re-watch-ability. And while this show was short-lived, the creators did a good job of offering the viewers a bit of closure after only 13 episodes - a feat few cancelled programs manage to do.

The show was beloved by its fans, who campaigned very hard to get it released on DVD through . Even after it was announced that Wonderfalls would find new life on DVD shelves, the fans worked hard to promote the release and created a site made specifically to introduce potential new viewers to the show.

Wonderfalls is something special. Just give it a chance an it'll capture you with its charm.
  • Super Quirky and Super Lovable

I really liked the shows humour and plot lines. It's a quirky one though so you have to be open to that to enjoy it. The main character's personality sends me up the wall and her relationships with her family and friends can be both sad and hilarious but in the best way.
  • The best one season TV show ever.

Only one season of 'Wonderfalls' has been created, but even that was enough to make me fall in love with the show on the one hand, and cry out loud on the other hand due to the fact that one could enjoy the show for so short a time. It is indeed a pity, that 'Wonderfalls' was under-appreciated, and thus was canceled after its first and only season, as 'Wonderfalls' was interesting, captivating and really fresh show.
    The show concentrates on young and bright heroine Jaye Tyler, played by a really goon Canadian actress Caroline Dhavernas, who is a total underachiever, working in a dead-end job, and with no real intentions on moving on in any way. She understands her dead end position, but she is not really willing to do anything to change that. And that would be that, if not for a fact that one day animal toys start talking to her telling to do different stuff as if the universe itself wants her to move on with her life. And here starts the adventures and all the funny situations :)
    Delightful :D
  • "...by far the best self-contained single season of television ever created."

Wonderfalls, how we hardly knew ye. A mid-season replacement in early 2004 that went unnoticed, and has sadly faded into obscurity. Getting the full-on Fox treatment, only two episodes ever aired, and these episodes were shown a few more times on different nights and times. The biggest crime is that Wonderfalls was the best series of the year, and is by far the best self-contained single season of television ever created. Other than the facts on record, there's really nothing else that can be said other than to find a way to watch it, and mourn with the rest of us. As can be said about many shows that end prematurely, at least what we have is perfect, and we can be glad that the network never got a chance to stagnate the writers. Wonderfalls is true bliss.
  • One of the most underappreciated shows ever.

I can't believe it got canceled! It was original, quirky, funny and cosy. I liked the mood in the series. It was one of those shows that had a good message (helping people), but managed to remain funny and not get too sentimental like for instance, 7th Heaven.

It's not often I like the female characters on TV, because I feel they waste most of the creative writing on men. This was one of the few exceptions for me. Jaye had more personality than what we usually see in women on TV. That was one of the main reasons I liked this show so much, I liked the characters. I have to like the characters on TV in order to feel for them, if I don't like them I just want them to die horribly.

Luckily it had a proper ending at least.
  • A quirky story about a girl and a boy and inanimate object talking...

AH Wonderfalls. Another great show which was canned far too early. Set in Niagra Falls, Wonderfalls was the story of Jane Tyler who had a dead end job and lived in caravan. Her life was just passing her by until one day a squashed wax lion figurine started to speak to her and drive her mostly insane to carry out actions which ended up making someone's life better. She falls in love with a bar man who left his wife on his honeymoon because she was cheating on him, in their honeymoon bed, with the waiter. The show should have gone on for longer than 13 episodes, the story was sweet but not sickly and it was always fun watching Jane try and decypher the cryptic clues the objects would tell her to do. The love story was sweet and heartbreaking too. This was another Bryan Fuller classic which went far too early. Let's hope Pushing Daisies doesn't go the same way.
  • Excellent, underappreciated show

I didn't expect much out of Wonderfalls. Actually, I haven't even heard of it. It was recommended to me by an online acquaintance. After watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I was looking for another good serial to watch. So, I decided to give Wonderfalls a try.

The premise was interesting, but I was skeptical. The first episode got me hooked, but the second was less than overwhelming. However, each episode just got better and better from there on, until I watched the entire season in just 2 days. It's very corny humour and a show that can't be taken seriously, yet you do take it almost too seriously sometimes. It's like a rollercoaster that takes you on a crazy, insane ride that's unpredictable.

Definitely worth your time and money (if you plan to buy the DVD, which I intend to buy despite the fact that I've already watched the entire season)
  • Jaye Tyler is a bright, beautiful underachiever who works in a dead-end job in Niagara Falls. That is, until inanimate animal characters of all types suddenly become animated, and started giving her cryptic messages that drive the action of each episode.

It's a crime that this quirky, very original one-hour sitcom was cancelled. The lead character, Caroline Dhavernas, played Jaye Tyler, a bright, beautiful underachiever who worked in a dead-end job in a Niagara Falls gift shop. She was responsibility and committment-phobic. That is, until inanimate animal characters of all types–stuffed ones, sculpted ones, cartoons, road signs, whatever–suddenly became animated, and started giving her cryptic messages that drove the action of each episode. She always followed the advice, and usually it worked out for the best, when she succeeded in figuring out what it really meant. Only Jaye and the TV viewers could see the animated characters, so we were never really sure whether this was really happening, or a symptom of Jaye's mental Illness. Please bring Wonderfalls back!
  • Can't believe it got canceled.

I was so sad when this show got canceled! I watched every episode and eventually bought the box-set. It was so interesting and intelligent. Not to mention I loved the show's pairings. Jaye and Eric (for a little while..) Aaron and Mahondra, so perfect!
    I'm not totally sure why it didn't have a bigger following, because I was certainly addicted. Jaye's dead-pan deliveries of her lines were hilarious, and her parents were so funny. Just too bad it had to end. If they brought it back now, I'd TOTALLY watch it. I'm desperate to know what happens with Jaye & Eric. :(
  • Brilliant!. So familiar

This show is brilliant! Very witty and kept me at edge and i cant forget HILARIOUS! most shows of it's time were so boring and i think the cancellation was a dumb decision on Fox's part! Jay is of course my favorite character and should be a role model for all young american girls...Jay Tyler doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks of her which is a trait that we should all have. to bad there wasn't a second season. I'm sure that there are a lot more fans of Wonderfalls than you think. like i said before, it's such a shame it had to end early...
  • Cancelled way before it's time...stupid FOX!

This show was (and still is) one of my personal favourites. The main character was freaking awesome, she was an original; sarcastic, lazy, but carking and kind at the same time. I thought all of the characters were well cast, really enjoyed the bits with her family, and "mouthbreather" was hilarious. I loved how each episode played out, the viewer was never quite sure how things were going to turn out. It never seemed to turn out the way I thought it would, which was a nice suprise in today's world of VERY predicitable story-telling. I could not believe when this was cancelled.....way before it's time. At least they had the decency to bring it out on DVD. Check this out, you will not be disappointed. Oh, and the talking animals (especially the brass monkey) were priceless!
  • I now spend my time wondering if toy animals are gonna start talking to me.

This show was in syndication on Logo but I passed it by so many times as it was described as a show about a girl and her dysfunctional family. Not something I was entirely inclined to watch.

However, a friend showed me the pilot several months ago and I was hooked. I really loved the stand-offish girl Jaye who graduated from an ivy league school with a degree in philosophy and lives in a trailer park doing retail, with a contrast of her perfect successful family who all have rhyming names. I also loved how she was so unwillingly pulled into helping people by inanimate objects.

The premise is a strange one so it is clear to me how the show can be disliked, but if you like strange premises or intriguing premises, do not pass this show up. It's unique, it's quirky, and despite it's shortness it comes together ina really clean way. Though I wish there had been more, the ending does leave you with a feeling of satisfaction. Wonderfalls is a great watch for anyone looking for some laughs.
  • An excellent series, cancelled too soon.

This is an underrated show with a unique and joyful sense of style and wit that hasn't been equalled since it left the air. With the dropping of "Pushing Daisies" this season the magic should be recaptured. The pilot certainly gives me hope, and Lee Pace has never been better. I miss Caroline Davernas, and pray to the powers that be that she gets a spot on another show, and soon. I always thought that "Wonderfalls" had one of the best ensemble casts ever assembled.
  • Good, not great.

7.6
    After watching my DVD set a 2nd time, I really have to say, the show was, good, but not great. Yeah, I will say that the idea is great and the cinematography and how it was shot it just, amazing, but it isn't the best and more consistent show. There are about 2 amazing episodes, and 3 that are just crap. So, with only 13 in total, that really does not say much, now does it?? I am sad it was canceled, of course, but I can kinda see why I am said to say.

It is a totally worthwhile show to rent, but not really to buy.
  • A Great highly creative show! Sorry to see it go!

Even though though this show has similarities to Joan Of Arcadia which was out at the same time. It was much more edgy and quirky with a real sardonic sense of humor. Joan Of Arcadia is a drama with touches of humor and a lot a pathos. But Wonderfalls is a dark twisty comedy. It explores the life of Gen X slacker Jaye Tyler. A Brown graduate who choses to not achieve, working in Niagra Falls at a gift shop (named Wonderfalls) doing retail and living in a trailer. But then her non engaging life style gets shaken up when inanimate objects (always of an animal) start talking to her and telling her to do strange things that eventually turn out for the best in end. The animation of these animals is very well done and those scenes are very funny. Her relationship with her overachieving family and siblings brings out the right amount of tension and always lead to you to a laugh. This show may not be for everyone. But if you have a dark sense of humor,like pulling for the underdog and have a crazy family you'll probably relate to and love this show!
  • A decent show.

So, here we have another impressive, interesting show, that's thankfully interesting and not some sort of godawful reality mess...but it's on Fox. You know Fox, right? That network renowned for giving amazing shows a chance, then never advertising them, airing them out of order or preempting them for some tripe like American Idle, changing their place int he schedule from week to week and finally cancelling them cuz "Gee Wally, these ratings aren't so good."

I can only conclude that there are two seperate entities at work over at Fox. One likes to take these new shows and give them a place to live and grow, to go beyond the normal, dare I say crap, we see on TV. And the other entity is the one who gets to control the show once it's signed on. It's the thing that says "You're on here, opposite Monday Night Football...no wait, at 3AM on Tuesdays...no wait, Fridays at 9!" This entity is of substandard intelligence and may very well be Rupert Murdoch. But I digress.

Wonderfalls is another rare hit for Fox, if only they take the time to promote it, give it a good timeslot and keep it around long enough for it to develop a fanbase. Failing that, brace yourself for more godawful and pointless reality TV. We shall see.
  • A decent show.

• Why did the network cancel this?

This show is one of the best of all time and can only be seen now on DVD or on Logo (TV channel). It is written by the guy who wrote Dead Like Me, a show which was also canceled. They weren't canceled because they were bad; they were canceled because Amaricans want to see fast paced action and under no sircomstance do they want to see laugh out lound comedy TV shows. Be smarter then Fox and accually give this show a try by at least watching half of the episodes, instead of only three, which is how many aired before Fox canceled it. Do you call that giving it a chance? I know I don't.
  • Great Show

People just don't appreciate witty shows anymore. This was a great dark comedy that never got a chance to find its niche. Just because these kind of shows require writers and actually thinking as oppossed to the the reality crap that is all over tv at this point. Was just glas that they were smart enough to put the whole season 1 available on dvd so that we can at least see as much of the show as was developed. Much like arrested development a good comedy is never really appreciated anymore. This is what happens when reality tv dominates.
  • Damn why'd they have to cancel it?!

Heh it seems funny to me that I found this gem while watching mid day television. Well I have to say this was surpisingly good I started to avoid going out for a couple of weeks just so I could see this show again on mid day T.V until after a few weeks it just stopped showing :( so I looked it up on EBay but I couldn't really remember the name :( eventually I found something which fit the desricpition and I bought it :D:D:D! Anyway the acting is superb 9.4/10 the script is damn great 9.5/10 and the trailer park setting great too (even though it is set in whole lot of cool places) 9.4/10. I hope they bring the show back.
  • Maybe it's just as well Wonderfalls only went 13 episodes. Now it will stay a perfect little gem.

This show was a huge hit in my house. The quirky stories, the interesting characters, the snappy dialogue all connected with everyone. Then BOOM, after four (or was it five) episodes it was gone. Cancelled before it's time and before it could find a bigger audience. My oldest daughter was still doing "Jaye" one liners a year later.

Thank god for the fans who didn't forget the show, and raised enough ruckus to get it out on DVD.

Oh well, maybe it's just as well Wonderfalls only went 13 episodes. Now it will always stay a perfect little gem.
  • Guilty pleasure or maybe there is deep meaning within the show. The decision is yours to make but the humor is for all to enjoy. That is if you find talking plastic lions that make you do the right thing funny.

It is such a stupid idea a little plastic lion that talks to this young woman. I saw the first show and was hooked. I could not stop laughing. I do not care if she is really hearing the monkey, lion, or pink flamingo. I do not want to figure out if she is schizophrenic and hearing voices of hearing the voice of G_d. I never want these questions answers. I just enjoy the humor of it. Jaye is a self-center individual that only does things for herself. She is now forced by inanimate objects to do the right thing or be tormented until she does by their endless chatter. Now, that would be such a nice punishment to give to any ego-centric individual that has invaded my life. A schizophrenic turned good by the voices they heard. I love watching her be tormented into to doing the right thing. And, by the way, would she stop hearing voices if she did the right thing independent of her voices. Or, have the voices shown her that those of us that do the right thing, are actual ego-centric because we get joy from the acts of kindness we do. Again, these are questions best left unanswered because they allow the show its humor. It is a must to watch and luckily it is on DVD. If you ever need a good laugh but want to be left with a few questions so as not to feel too guilty about watching a mindless silly show... because maybe there is inter-meaning to be had here. or not.
  • this show is fantastic i just finished watching it on logo because they are having a marathon i just need to watch some more because i am finding it hard to well... care about the characters.

7.4
    Oh fox once again you hve messed up I would have loved to watch new more intense episodes of wonderfalls. Try giving shows a chance test them out put them in a new slot don\'t just destroy them and cut them from tv glory. All the fans want it back and so do I.
  • A completely original gem!

I can understand why it wasn't a popular success. Like many other shows that get cancelled (see: Arrested Development), most viewers just didn't get it. It's too smart. Which is really sad, because Wonderfalls really is a diamond in the rough. The characters are very well-developed and the graphics are quite clever (the monkey? Perfect!). Caroline Dhavernas is cast perfectly as Jaye and you really get a sense of her conflicted nature as the tourist tsotchkes start telling her what to do. Her family (Aaron, Sharon, and Darren) are hilarious as well. Tracie Toms is especially wonderful as Jaye's best friend Mahandra, and Tyrone Leitso is, well, a dish.

This show wasn't given enough of a chance. But even if Fox had backed it, I don't think it could have gotten the viewership necessary to be a competitor. It was too strange...which is why I loved it so much! I highly recommend renting it on DVD to see all 14 episodes. The writers knew the show was being cancelled and wrapped up the story line very nicely in the end.
  • A Joan of Arc type girl is summoned to do things presumably by God via inanimate animals: eg. Wax figurines, lawn flamingos, etc.

This show is so frickin' awesome! Shame on the Fox network for cancelling this wonderful show that I am only now getting to enjoy on DVD. I love the wax lion! Smooch faced or not that lion is ridiculously hilarious. And Oh my gosh Tyron Leitso is so hot! This show is bound to be a one season classic for DVD collectors. It is also bound to bite Fox in the butt for cancelling one of the most creative shows to date. I'm going to go buy this series as soon as I get the chance... and I will be on the look out for a smooch faced lion!
  • Jaye Tyler believes her life is going nowhere. That's until she has the ability to talk to animals made from materials and from there, they tell her what to do.

7.7
    I first stumbled on this show on a Saturday afternoon after a cricket match and from there, it was something I looked foward to watching every week. The show was treated very unfairly as almost every aspect and element made it what it is. Caroline Dhavernas was brilliant in her role as the apathetic Jaye Tyler who believes her life has already hit a dead end. Again, this show is apart of Fox's "programming" as it was cancelled after thirteen episodes in its only season. The show had plenty to give and wasn't given the chance to step out the door.
  • Jaye is an underacheiver. She finished college and took a job as a sales clerk. Jaye has a problem. She seems to be getting messages from inanimate objects. They give her vague instructions on helping people that she must figure out on her own.

Jaye one day started seeing inanimate objects talking to her via cgi animation. However, the messages are too vague and lead to Jaye having to scramble about to figure out what she is suppose to do. Another interesting aspect of the show is that we are never really sure of Jaye's sanity. Since no one else can see the objects talk the audience is left to decide for themselves if she is psychic,recieving devine messages or just off her tree. With a loving but slightly dysfunctional family and group of friends to try and figure out what's up with Jaye's wacky behavior. Its quirky and witty. Its shows that the Fox network didn't give a enough time to find its audience. I would have watched this show with no problem if fox hadn't been so impatience for instant hit. After 4 episode Fox cancelled the show.
  • This critically acclaimed dramedy was great! It's about a twenty-something gift shop worker named Jaye Tyler, just out of Brown University, discovers that figurines start talking to her to do something.

I was a fan of the show since it began in April 2004. I remember watching it on FOX, and then the network cancelled it after four episodes. I was going to start a petition to bring the show back. I remember watching the complete series on dvd. I am glad that I got to watch the nine unaired episodes on dvd. Jaye Tyler is my favorite main character of the series. She can understand the inanimate figurines are talking to her. She works at the Niagra Falls Gift Shop as a cashier in Niagra Falls, New York.
  • Jaye has a degree from Brown and works in a gift shop. One day a wax lion starts talking to her.

One of my all-time favorite shows. It's got a lot of laugh out loud moments, lots of tender moments, and some tear jerker moments. The only episode that I could do without is Barrel Bear. It's a shame that the morons at Fox don't seem to realize when they have a real gem of a show on their hands. Wonderfalls and Firefly were cancelled before they were given a real chance. I found this show on netflix and was curious. I'm glad I tried it. Now I own it on DVD and my sister begs me to let her borrow it all the time. Watch this show and you'll love it too.
  • I wonder why FOX had to cancel this brilliant, lovable, and quirky dramedy when they had barely given it a chance.

Wonderfalls is the best show no one watched. Period. The show had this lovable quirkyness to it. From the scene transitions to the quick camera pan, this show had a wonderful sense of style. The series was released on DVD and I had the pleasure of being able to watch it. The show now has a miniseries feel to it, but still leaves us wanting more of Jaye, and the other wonderfull characters we love.