Wonderfalls

Wax Lion

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 12, 2004 on FOX

• “She lives in a trailer park. Clearly she\'s disturbed. Clearly.”

So here we are in the enchanted land of Niagara Falls yada yada yada, whatever. We are immediately introduced to not only the legend of the falls, not only the main character and heroine, Jaye, 24, slacker supreme (“I’m dissatisfied without hardly working at all”) but also to many recurring themes and characters that will, erm, recur throughout this fabulous series, to wit: Native Americans (Jaye: “Indians!”) and surrendering to destiny, Dr Ron the psychiatrist, the love triangle of Sharon, Beth and Thomas, that Olsen girl, Gretchen Speck, Heidi and the bellboy, even the quarters thrown into the fountain – all these things will come back in later episodes. Part of Wonderfalls’s genius is making these signposts seem trivial, whereas full time viewers will see them as FATE.

So, first scene: a girl a boy. Unfortunately the girl is 24, retail clerk, the boy is 10, a customer, or at least a prospective one. Then the boy is replaced by Alex, Jaye’s co-worker in boredom – that is until the start of Jaye’s bad day when Alex is made assistant manager and instead becomes über-boss, forcing her to give money back to a pain-in-the-ass customer who presents her with a squash-faced wax lion. Previous to this, on her lunchbreak, Jaye had choked on a sandwich and been hit on the back of the head with a quarter. Can her day get any worse? Of course it can when the wax lion starts to talk to her, causing her to faint and her concerned annoying loveable intrusive family to stop by her trailer to bitch, argue and ask her when she last had an orgasm. Was it the near death experience that made her see and hear animals move and talk? Was it that the fountain gives out wishes and Jaye has to carry them out? At any rate, this strange turn of events leads her to take solace in beer and her as equally sarcastic, snarky and scrappy friend Mahandra - who thinks Jaye disappointing her family is “an extreme sport” and asks her why she was performing an act of kindness (“I just wanted to see what it was like”) - and the cute bar-tender Eric – bestubbled, kind and friendly and who hits on Jaye five minutes after telling her his life-story.

So we have the introduction, we have the major and minor characters, we have the premise. Now the story. On the surface, the story is about Thomas, the EPS guy finding love and the “Texan haus-frau” finding her handbag (one gets the impression that Jaye goes chasing after the quarter as an excuse to get out of work, rather than with a desire to obey the animals or help anyone). But it’s actually about sisterhood. Sharon and Jaye are opposites. One is blonde, the other brunette. One a high flier lawyer, the other a shop assistant. One drives an SUV, the other some beat-up old banger. One likes girls, the other boys. One is a larger lady and smokes, the other skinny and doesn’t. They bicker constantly. BUT, are they not two sides of the proverbial coin? They are both propositioned by ex-married men, they both seem to leave their work in the middle of the day – a lot. They both speak their mind. They both love their family – in their own way. By the end, they’re even admitting that they love each other. Jaye is also able to offer Sharon help (in a round about way), which seemingly makes a change from Sharon pulling Jaye out of scrapes.

All in all, this is an excellent opener: setting the scene, explaining the themes and not so much introducing, as forcing the characters into our collective consciousness. Some people have commented that the series is formulaic, but I think that the animals’ commands are suitably cryptic as to be entertaining and that there is enough of a story arc to sustain viewers’ interest, not just the Eric/Jaye romance but her relationships with her family and their relationships with each other and outsiders, the humour of Alex and the shop and the ultimate plan of the animals for Jaye.
  • Jag tyckte verkligen det här var skitkul!

Jag tyckte verkligen det här var skitkul! En hel del klockrena repliker, snygga effekter och charmiga skådisar.

Nu har jag inte sett Joan of Arcadia en enda gång, men skillnaden som jag förstår det är att Joan försöker ha en dramatisk sida, medan Wonderfalls är en straight-up comedy. Och en ny, bra sådan var precis vad jag kände att jag behövde just nu.

Hoppas på mer William Sadler i fortsättningen, han är ju en gammal kultfavorit.

Vet inte riktigt vad det bästa var, för det fanns en del att välja på. Bl.a. när vaxlejonet gjorde sin HAL 9000-imitation, och "Sweetheart, when was the last time you had an orgasm? It's nothing to be ashamed of." "Not ashamed! Mortified!".

Då så, då hade man en ny bra serie att titta på! Och nästa avsnitt verkar väldigt bra efter att ha sett trailern. "You know that movie where that girl wanted to be that other girl so much that she would murder for it?" "Grease?"
  • Overeducated and underpaid? Who can't relate!

After hearing good things about the series I just finished watching this episode online and found it enjoyable. There were some faults like it wasn't as smart and funny as it should be but it was an entertaining episode overall. I feel FOX was misplaced to handle a series like this, they don't really do quirky-smart humor. I thought the plotting of the episode was smart and pretty funny, it's a good setting to place a show. The problems I felt with this episode was I feel this lead character is out there in this series on her own, expected to carry the entire program and I just don't know if she's likeable enough. It was a good episode and I look forward to watching episode two but I can't see this as a long-running series to any extent. She's great but enough to make an audience watch episode two on purpose, she needs a better supporting cast. The plot was creative and inventive and I feel that's what saved the show to become the cult-hit it is, I can't wait to find out what's going on with these animals talking to her, very animorphism of FOX to dare to do. Overall, a good episode with some tweaks that may or may not be taken care of.