WordGirl Forums

Weekdays 4:30 PM on PBSIn Season

Word Girl's vocabulary.

aguaminte77

[1]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 8
    i love the use of vocabulary and puns in this show and many i saw in the SAT! this is a helpful show DISCUSS!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SpongeSebastian

[2]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 41
    Well, some of the vocabulary is kinda a no-brainer.

agent_0042

[3]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 66
    Some of it may seem like a no-brainer to older audiences, but we have to consider who the show is targeted at. I think, overall, it seems like this show does do a good job of teaching vocabulary. It's also very amusing -- it has some of the most offbeat humor I've seen on a show like it. I definitely count myself as a fan.

hernomoto

[4]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 6

Word Girl is an enjoyable show, but does anybody else get REALLY ANNOYED that nobody EVER Finds out her secret identity? I mean, think about it! ALL the good superheroes tell at least ONE person!

I can list a few right now!

Danny Phantom, TMNT, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Batman....I could go on and on! I mean, if I had superpowers, I'd need to tell somebody or I'd go insane! It just isn't realistic in that respect, ya'know? Sorry, I'm ranting!

Zangoose15

[5]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 9
    I like the show cause' it reminds me of me cause i use alot of vocabulary when i speak.

PlasmaFlare

[6]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 10

I am a huge fan of WordGirl, and I must say, the show is absolutely phenomenal!

I think it does an outstanding job of teaching vocabulary to younger audiences; and being a vocabulary appreciator myself, it quickly became my favorite TV show. And not only is it educational, but includes an extremely entertaining storyline and a cast of awesome characters! The offbeat humor absolutely must be taken into account, as it is the shining example of this cartoon's originality, and is present throughout every episode (especially when the Narrator interjects).

In my opinion, anyone can enjoy this show, even the older audiences who, for the most part, already know most of the vocabulary words. I am fervently awaiting the new episodes. . . especially the ones in which Dr. Two-Brains (my favorite character) is the villain of focus.

agent_0042

[7]Jun 16, 2008
    hernomoto wrote:
    Word Girl is an enjoyable show, but does anybody else get REALLY ANNOYED that nobody EVER Finds out her secret identity? I mean, think about it! ALL the good superheroes tell at least ONE person!

Yeah -- she's told one person all right -- her sidekick!

But according to one of the episode summaries I read, one of the villains actually does find out her secret identity. I think that episode may have already aired and I missed it, but I think it's supposed to be on again soon.

Ryosagi

[8]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 3

It was a Dr. Two-Brains episode on how he found out. I LOVE that episode!

I really like the show as well. Big points for the offbeat humor. I like it when cartoons for younger children can appeal to older audiences like that. Some of the words do surprise me since I haven't heard a few when I was in school. If only they could make a version of WG with more complicated words, lol!

RHF

[9]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    What I find weird is they don't have Wordgirl using words to defeat the bad guy. Only to just help educate them. Though as embarrassing it is too admit, I've learned a few words I've never payed much attention to.

Fun part is trying to figure what each episode's secret words are.

RedSoxFan274

[10]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 14
    hernomoto wrote:

Danny Phantom, TMNT, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Batman....I could go on and on! I mean, if I had superpowers, I'd need to tell somebody or I'd go insane! It just isn't realistic in that respect, ya'know? Sorry, I'm ranting!

I saw the one just the other day where her family found out but then they were zapped with Two-Brains memory-eraser thing and then they forgot all about it. I don't know. I think somebody close to her should know about it. Because I mean in so many other shows where that's the case, at least a friend or family member knows.

BenikiC

[11]Nov 16, 2008
    • level: 5

That Dr. Two-Brains episode was my favorite too. i can't get over how much Wordgirl is like me. I've always been good with words:

Longest word in the English dictionary: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (a lung disease) (just for your information)

But still, I have learned to memorize a lot of definions from wordgirl, and it's a pretty good show to boot. you don't see a lot of shows like that anymore.

Wordgirl rocks!

agent_0042

[12]Dec 15, 2008
    Martha Speaks seems to have a similar focus to WordGirl. It too focuses on a lot of concepts related to language and vocabulary. It would seem like a good idea to pair the two shows together, except that WordGirl is part of the PBSKids GO! block, whereas Martha Speaks is targeted at a distinctly younger audience.

rookeealding

[13]Jun 20, 2009
    RedSoxFan274 wrote:
    hernomoto wrote:

I saw the one just the other day where her family found out but then they were zapped with Two-Brains memory-eraser thing and then they forgot all about it. I don't know. I think somebody close to her should know about it. Because I mean in so many other shows where that's the case, at least a friend or family member knows.

How would she ever be able to convince them that she is word girl I just saw super-grounded and goodness what would she have to do. I loved in Two-Brains forgets in order to convince them she actually had to fly. no amount of logic was going to make them believe it unless they actually saw flight. They've seen her in costume, and going super fast. I bet she could come out and tell them and they still wouldn't believe her. personally I wish she had someone to tell it to, but I don't see anyone that either would not believe her or flat out reveal her.

I've got another question for you all, what words would you like to see in the next season?

I would like to see:

origin (I'm surprised it hasn't been used yet.)

normalcy

do you have any words you would like to see?

rookeealding

[14]Jun 21, 2009

you know ,now that I think of it. the only person I could see her telling her identity to is Chuck...

the ending of that episode would go something like this:

Narrator: we continue our story with Becky and Chuck at Chuck's house. Wait. Becky what are you doing here?

Becky: Chuck invited me over for sandwiches.

Narrator: but doesn't Chuck know your Word Girl?

Becky: sure, but that doesn't bother him.

Chuck: What? I can't have friends because I'm a villain?

Narrator: but you are...

Chuck: besides mom won't let me set hero traps in the house.

Narrator: Becky, you don't have a problem with this?

Becky: He makes some really good sandwiches...

Chuck: and my mother would punish me if I revealed Wordgirls identity, she's a big fan.

Furrtwo

[15]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 2

rookeealding wrote:
    I bet she could come out and tell them and they still wouldn't believe her.

"WordGirl Makes a Mistake", much?

I do think she should actually tell SOMEONE her secret identity. Of course, the only reason she hasn't told anyone is probably that age-old reason; because she'd be jeopardizing (ooh, that could be a good featured word) their well-being and knows that anyone who wants to get back at WordGirl would go for anyone they know is close to her... Or something like that...

If she does confide in someone, I think it should be Violet. Not only does it seem like the most reasonable choice, but she really... owes it to her. Violet confided to Becky that she was the Framer in "Violet Superhero", and what did Becky do? Tell Violet how HARD it is being a superhero, and make up an excuse about how she only knows that because WordGirl is her "good friend" and decided to "confide in her".

If Violet can tell Becky that she's a (albeit powerless) superhero, the least Becky can do is trust her best friend.

TheIdeaMen

[16]Aug 25, 2010
    • level: 1
    I agree that she should tell someone her identity, eventually. It would probably have to be violet for the reasons you listed. Aside from character driven reasons, I think that someone else knowing her identity would mix it up a little bit and keep the show fresh. After watching "The Homerun King" I am almost(not really) starting to get a bit annoyed that no one has figured out that Becky and Wordgirl are one in the same. The jokes they keep making about it are funny though, but eventually it should be done. "Jeopardize" -- that *would* make a perfect episode idea. In fact, that should be the episode where Becky finally tells Violet that she's Wordgirl and she has to explain that if anyone found about about it it may put her or her family in jeopardy. One of the things I love about this show is that you can come up with episode ideas just by going by the "featured words" of an episode. It's great. It must be really fun for the writers to come up with episode ideas. All they have to do is come up with a good word and the plot practically writes itself. The fact that you can base a whole plot line around certain words is brilliant. There are so many possibilities for show ideas.

Ilovemiley300

[17]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 10
    hey dude pampy is the most smartest botsford EVER he found out shes word-girl!