WordGirl Forums

Weekdays 4:30 PM on PBSIn Season

WordGirl Books are Coming

agent_0042

[1]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 66
    Word up! A total of four different books for the initial release, slated to be published in February 2009. This information comes from BWi eNews-- an e-mail newsletter I'm subscribed to that provides information on upcoming book releases, mainly with a bent on providing order plans for libraries. Here's what it has to say:

"WordGirl 8x8 . Ages 3-5; first two titles due February 2009; from Scholastic. From the PBS series comes the adventures of fifth grader Becky Botsford. She transforms into WordGirl when there is trouble in the city and uses vocabulary to defeat outlaws bent on "WORD" domination."

and

"WordGirl Readers . Ages 4-8; first two titles due February 2009; from Scholastic. Series based on the PBS show WordGirl. Becky Botsford transforms into WordGirl when there is trouble in the city and uses vocabulary to defeat outlaws bent on "Word" domination."

So it seems that there are two types of releases being planned, and one of them is targeted at a somewhat younger audience than the television series (8x8 generally indicates a board book format.) I'll be keeping my eyes and ears peeled for any further information about these books.
    Edited on 09/08/2008 7:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RedSoxFan274

[2]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    Interesting...so wil both libraries and booksellers carry them, or just libraries?

PlasmaFlare

[3]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 10

Awesome! I always thought WordGirl would make a great book series. And finally, some WordGirl merchandise is surfacing!

Thank you so much for the information! Do you know if any WordGirl DVDs will be released in the coming months? They're already offering the first ten episodes on iTunes, so I'm hoping the First Season DVD will soon follow.

agent_0042

[4]Sep 9, 2008
    RedSoxFan274 wrote:
    Interesting...so wil both libraries and booksellers carry them, or just libraries?

I'm sure they'll be released both in booksellers and made available to libraries. I searched Amazon yesterday and didn't find any info, but I did do a bit more searching around and found this. It says the show is renewed for 12 episodes and makes reference to the books.

PlasmaFlare wrote:
    Thank you so much for the information! Do you know if any WordGirl DVDs will be released in the coming months? They're already offering the first ten episodes on iTunes, so I'm hoping the First Season DVD will soon follow.

Unfortunately, I've seen nary a peep about any DVD releases for the show. PBSKids shows are notoriously scattershot when it comes to DVD releases-- some release them not long after the show first premieres, and for some reason others only ever get a couple DVDs if they ever show up on DVD at all. And complete season set releases are exceedingly rare-- in fact, there are only two I know of that have released any complete season DVD sets-- Arthur and Between the Lions.

In any case, I'll continue to keep looking for any info that might come up on any releases.

PlasmaFlare

[5]Sep 9, 2008

agent_0042 wrote:
    Unfortunately, I've seen nary a peep about any DVD releases for the show. PBSKids shows are notoriously scattershot when it comes to DVD releases-- some release them not long after the show first premieres, and for some reason others only ever get a couple DVDs if they ever show up on DVD at all. And complete season set releases are exceedingly rare-- in fact, there are only two I know of that have released any complete season DVD sets-- Arthur and Between the Lions. In any case, I'll continue to keep looking for any info that might come up on any releases.

Oh, that's rather unfortunate. Even though I've recorded every single WordGirl episode to date with a DVD recorder, I was hoping to one day acquire a DVD set for the high quality videos. . .
    Anyhow, thanks again for the info.

Also, regarding the WordGirl books, one of my friends on YouTube informed me that she found and purchased one of these books from a school book fair today. Apparently, by her description, it was the book titled "City Hall Sandwich", featuring Chuck the Evil Sandwich-Making Guy. Do you know if it's possible that some schools might be selling these books earlier than their original release date? I checked Borders.com, and found that they are to be released on February 1st, 2009. . .

agent_0042

[6]Sep 10, 2008
    An advance preview copy, maybe? I haven't heard anything suggesting that the books would be available earlier than February 2009. I Googled that title and found a number of sites offering it for preorder. Here's a page that lists that title and a couple of others-- Stop, Thief! (a.k.a. Coupon Madness) and Two-Brained Terror (which I'm sure you'll be quite interested in.) Great way to take a look at the cover art of all those books at a glance.
    Edited on 09/10/2008 2:11pm

PlasmaFlare

[7]Sep 10, 2008

Thanks for the link! I've been trying to find better pics of the cover art!

My brother's elementary school is having a book fair next week, so I'll inform you if I find an advance preview copy of any of those WordGirl books.

NozeNuggets

[8]May 11, 2009
    • level: 37
    And more books will be released in September from what I understand.

agent_0042

[9]May 11, 2009
    I actually haven't read any yet. I need to see about getting my paws on some...

NozeNuggets

[10]May 17, 2009
    • level: 37
    And Two-Brains Terror is "When Life Gives You Potatoes..." as if you didn't know by now.

Furrtwo

[11]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 2

It appears that this topic is now outdated, but if anyone cares, you can order all four of the Level Two WordGirl books at Shop PBS - Robot Rampage, City Hall Sandwich, The Big Bad Butcher, and Earth Day Girl. I ordered them all the other day, mwee hee

Oh yes, and there's also two WordGirl DVDs available; one of them features the episode "Tobey's Tricks and Treats", and the other features the episode "Earth Day Girl", but they both come with seven more episodes in addition to the title one.

Here is the link, for those who may be curious.