Working (1997)

NBC (ended 1999)

Working (1997) Fan Reviews (5)

7.4
  • I Loved this show!!!

One of the few really funny shows over the past thirty years. This show was not given a fair shake.One of the few really funny shows over the past thirty years. This show was not given a fair shake.One of the few really funny shows over the past thirty years. This show was not given a fair shake.One of the few really funny shows over the past thirty years. This show was not given a fair shake.One of the few really funny shows over the past thirty years. This show was not given a fair shake.One of the few really funny shows over the past thirty years. This show was not given a fair shake.
  • Working was a very funny show that should have run a lot longer than it did. It was about a young man and the place where he worked. The lead in to the show started with a bunch of workers (or prisoners) shuffling through a long tunnel.

Working was a very funny show that should have run a lot longer than it did. It was about a young man and the place where he worked. The lead in to the show started with a bunch of workers (or prisoners) shuffling through a long tunnel. My wife and me always laughed at that lead in. The cast on this show was always funny. Fred Savage did a good job as the main star. Debbie Mazar launched her career on this show. We always watched it when we could. It portrayed life while working for a big company. A little while after the show went off the air, I went to work for WorldCom and was reminded of this show.
  • How I Loved This Show And Why The Network Hates its Successes

Memories of this show prove to me that TV executives are idiots. "Working" was a fast furious and funny show with the speed and humor of the Mel Brooks and Airplane movies - sort of "Scrubs" for its time. So what happened? It was an instant cult hit, but for some reason, it didn't last. Someone moved it from a great time slot to Monday nights and all around the schedule as if they were trying to shake the fans and success off like ants on a picnic plate. When the fans followed it, the execs found another way to kill it: tampering, They removed some of the best characters and replaced them with no talents. What happened: the series limped on with a bullet in its side and died. Execs win; viewing public of America ticked off. This show was a hit for Fred Savage and he deserved one after that "Wonder Years" fiasco refused to die after so long. This satire on corporate America had all the best actors with Maurice Godin as the swarmy boss Tim Deale, Seinfeld's Steve Hytner as the weasel John Delaney, stand-up genuis Dana Gould as childlike Jimmy Clarke and incredibly sexy Arden Myrin as prim and proper Abby Cosgrove (nowa fave cast member on "MadTV"). Rounded out with "She-Wolf" Kate Hodge and lovely Sarah Knowlton as Hal the working mother as the office sex symbols for Deale to drool over, the show was an instant hit, and we had less than a year of funny programming before the most evil and vile forces on earth took it away!
  • Before "Office Space" was a feature film and "Dilbert" had a TV series, there was "Working!"

"Working" had something that's lacking from SO many sitcoms these days -- truly funny moments.

Matt Peyser (Fred Savage) was fresh out of college when he began his new job at Upton/Webber (the mother of all big-business corporations). He quickly learns that the working world really is a "rat race" as he struggles to deal with his insane co-workers who are put in equally insane situations. Steve Hytner was a stand-out as John Delaney, the sarcastic, oft-abused worker who revealed most of the secrets of the office. Maurice Godin was also exceptional as the pretentious, lazy, self-involved head of the office, Tim Deale.

Barely renewed for a second-season (thanks to a guest-spot from Danica McKellar, Savage's "Wonder Years" co-star), the show quickly disappeared from NBC and resurfaced briefly on USA, where many people first discovered it.

"Working" had a real edge and was a truly unique show. Many episodes featured off-the-wall promotional commercials for Upton/Webber, as well as sight-gags gallore -- all with a completely off-kilter sense of humour. There's never been another show like it (and likely never will be again). With the success of "Office Space," you'd think that some channel would air reruns -- and it would get the DVD release that it so desperately deserves.
  • Working, the show that made Dilbert look boring, made Mary's office look calm, and made Murphy Brown's staff look like Einsteins.

Ahh WORKING, I'm not even sure if the re-runs play anymore, and I didn't even get into this show until about 5 years ago when USA played it in the mornings. This show was absolutely one of the funniest shows ever on TV. I can't belive that so little peoplel liked it. The humor went from very sarcastic to sometimes absurd. It was the same people who work in your office intensified by 10. The humor you see everyday, except the show made you realize just how funny it all really was. Working is definately a show worth bringing back, even if it is just the re-runs!