World of Quest Forums

The CW (ended 2008)

"The Fall of Oddysia" *SPOILERS*

fewmet

[1]May 17, 2008
    • level: 12

Huh. I really liked this one. Nestor and the gang walk through an enchanted gorge named the Path of Sorrows, which emits a haze that forces all who enter it to relive unhappy memories. As a result, and unlike the ep about the mind-reading walls, the Path of Sorrows actually revealed interesting things about the characters. Looks like all of them have done deeds in their past that they deeply regret. Nestor's sad memory was my fave, because it showed that, even when he gets unfairly and brutally picked on, he has a forgiving heart. In fact, his "sin" (getting even with a cruel bully) was by far the least damning, compared to Gatling's (who subjected a princess to a very unwelcome rescue, and incidentally, the "Shrek" reference was pretty cool), Anna (who's apparently been a magical screw-up all her life) and Graer (who let someone else take a brutal punishment that he himself deserved). Quest's memory had to do with his banishment and brought to light a new villian who's far more interesting than the foppish Lord Spite. It also reveals the origin of General Ogun. And the ending, when everyone snaps out of it, had a rather nice moment when Quest picks up a sleeping Nestor and cradles him like he did when the prince was a baby.

I have to say that this episode is very encouraging. If the rest of the series has as much thoughtfulness as this one, then it may be too late (for this viewer anyway) to write it off. I rate "The Fall of Oddysia" 8/10. (I knocked 2 points off because GRAER STILL ISN'T FUNNY!)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SharanMcQuack

[2]May 24, 2008
    • level: 11
    what I didn't like about this episode is that NONE of them tried to correct their mistakes. I didn't expert Grier to own up to his thief, but Nestor could of told his Dad not to quite so hard on that bully. Gatling could of tried to help princess escape her Dad and rejoin her Ogre if she REALLY wanted to.

fewmet

[3]May 24, 2008
    • level: 12

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    what I didn't like about this episode is that NONE of them tried to correct their mistakes. I didn't expert Grier to own up to his thief, but Nestor could of told his Dad not to quite so hard on that bully. Gatling could of tried to help princess escape her Dad and rejoin her Ogre if she REALLY wanted to.

That's true, but in Nestor's case - if you saw all of the episode - it's later made clear that Nestor's mom is a hard-ass who probably wouldn't have changed her mind about the bully any more than she changed her mind about Quest. I can easily imagine Nestor asking her to let the kid off and her refusing. Even Nestor's dad can't nay-say her. She's a mess.

As for Gatling...I don't know. Could he have gone up against an entire King's army? But I get your point overall. Graer could have 'fessed up and taken his medicine, but he didn't. Anna could have stayed and tried to fix the mess she made, but she didn't. But maybe that's why they felt so guilty - they ran away from their mistakes instead of trying to fix them. JMHO.

Jackasaurus

[4]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 5
    I still think that Nestor could have done something if he had the guts to do so. But stil, the animators could have thoght about some kind of kindness punishment for that unlucky man Graer has killed. That is to cruel even for World of Quest....