Worst Week

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Sep 22, 2008 on CBS

• Mixed feelings.

I really like the storyline of this show and I thought the pilot was great, but I'm not sure it will last that long because the plot seems to limit themselves. I really loved this pilot though I thought it was hilarious, but sometimes it can get a little over the top. I hope it works out because I think this show has a lot of potential and the characters are perfect. I can't wait for the families reaction to the pregnancy. P.S. Is it just me or does this seem like Meet the Parents was just made into a TV show? Hahaha.
  • Pilot Episode

For being a pilot episode of a brand new comedy, this episode was pretty good.

Sam and Mel are engaged and expecting a baby. So, they go to visit Mel's parents for one week to tell them the news about the wedding and the baby. But, Sam does not always have the best of luck.

The only thing I have to say bad about this pilot episode is the whole Mel's dad dying type thing. I thought that that was kind of stupid and would never ever happen in a million years in real life. I mean come on. Ok, I understand the misunderstanding kind of, but I mean when Sam comes in to identify the body shouldn't someone know that Dick left. That was kind of dumb.

But, this comedy was actually pretty good and has an awesome chance of being a really good CBS comedy.
  • It's Meet the Parents...only its 23 minutes long.

Worst Week's pilot is among the best of the season that I've seen so far. Mel is a pregnant and is happily in a relationship with Sam. Mel decides that she is going to reveal her pregnancy to her parents and that she is going to stay with Sam at their house for a week. Unfortunately for Sam, the parents don't really like him.

Anyone who has seen Curb Your Enthusiasm or Meet the Parents may think that they have already seen this, but the show's writing is pitch perfect. It includes no laugh track and the jokes are clever and witty.

It's very like that Worst Week may not live through the season, but that's unfortunate for me. It's one of my new favorite comedies.
  • Hmm . . .

OK, I really want this show to work. I don't know who these actors are (OK, I konw Kurtwood Smith thanks to some 70s show) but I find that I already care about the characters! It's rare for me to find such a great chemistry among the characters this early in a series. There were times when this episode was simply hilarious! It's the other times, though, that have me extremely worried. If 'Worst Week' stays on this path, it will become VERY predictable, VERY quickly. Who among us didn't know the portrait would be damaged by the end of the episode?

It's actually kind of amazing that this episode was as funny as it was, despite the fact that we all knew what was coming. If 'Worst Week' is going to survive, it needs to find a way to make the Sam character redeemable. OK, I can accept the premise that he gets nervous around Mel's parents, thus the disaster creation. BUT ... too much of that, and it's gonna feel like 'Home Alone', dragged out over 13 episodes. And I simply can't watch that. So, not too bad for a pilot. It has my attention. And here's to hoping it only gets better from here. Because if it gets worse, I'll be tuning out after a couple more episodes.
  • Hilarious.

I read mixed reviews about the show but to be honest I loved it. I was expecting it to be more on the witty, sarcastic funny side than the visual humour and hilarious situations but one things for sure, I wasn't disappointed.

It's your average meet the parents type idea and flipped around, given a fresh edges and BAM it's funny again. The episode was OK in the ratings, not as high as former holder Rule Of Engagement and it lost a fair bit of lead in Two and A Half Men's audience but still it was decent with Viewers: 11.04 million (#2), 18-49: 3.8/ 9 (#3)
  • A good start with potential to become a strong series.

One of the season's few original comedies premiered last night. Worst Week did not look too promising from the commercials; a plethora of prop humor and unpleasant circumstances, yet the actual result was a witty and comical source of entertainment. Sure, one has to suspend reality a little bit to enjoy it, but that goes along with the task of watching television. Kyle Bornheimer excels as the series lead here, playing a class-clown average joe type rather than the transplanted stand-up comedian with a sharp sarcastic tongue that plauges most CBS comedies past and present. You root for him to find success, yet at the same time yearn for more humiliation at his expense and your enjoyment.

Erinn Hayes does a fine job as Sam's sweet signifcant other Melanie. While her character is one dimensional it is comforting to see a real person in this world of absurdities and exaggerated personalities. Nancy Lenehan does a fine job as the mother, but clearly Kurtwood Smith is the more comedic and entertaining parent. Deviating away from his iconic Red Forman character Smith plays a more angry, yet subtle with the insults, aging senior citizen.

One of the purposes of television is to relax after a long day at work or school or of watching daytime television on the couch. Sometimes it's comforting to see that as bad as our day was there is someone out there having a worse time, and we have no problem laughing at him because of it.
  • It's not as back as people are making it out to be. Please give the show a chance, it's actually kind of funny.

I have no idea why people are bad mouthing this show so much. I found it to be pleasantly amusing. It had it's moments when the sound track was a little off, but this is the pilot episode. There were over 11 Million people that watched it, I hope most of them come back. Once the show picks up steam it will get better. Look how bad Seinfeld was the first couple of shows. Most comedies take time to blossom and I know this one will as well. All in all it is a good show and has a lot of possibilities so please give it a chance.
  • Ugh, what a listless, not-so-very-funny show.

Based on reviews, this was supposed to be the new sitcom of the season - well that certainly doesn't bode well for the rest of the sitcoms yet to air. It was listless, poorly timed, ended suddenly, wasn't funny, so many things wrong with it. The situations were predictable, the wow factor wasn't there. I also thought that it was poorly cast, particularly the lead actor and the actress who played his girlfriend - I cannot understand how this show will carry a concept to next week, much less next season, particularly because it simply wasn't funny. It was a boring, poorly written version of "Meet the Parents". Tasteless all the way. I will never watch it again.