WWE Monday Night RAW Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on USAIn Season

Raw discussion 3-12-2012

Who would you rather hear sing?

Raccoon1459

[81]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 22
    WE WILL ROCK YOU!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

enervator

[82]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 38

I'm shocked that they didn't bring out Cena to ruin the segment.

telvisnostic

[83]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 52

That was too long. It was decent.

Randyspeeps

[84]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 34
    It was perfect! Did you see the people in that arena? That was a party, not a wrestling event. Good stuff.

telvisnostic

[85]Mar 12, 2012

I did and he got what he wanted. It was still too long though.

Wisp955

[86]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 11

I can't be the only one who got Assassin's Creed looking at Taker's outfit.

telvisnostic

[87]Mar 12, 2012

Ha, you're right.

lightning_kf

[88]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 36
    Missed the Cena rap since I was unaware that daylights saving time was over here.

Saw it this morning and I enjoyed it. Good to see, and hear, Cena when he was the upcoming youngster on SmackDown. Both guys deserve props cause both of their segments were entertaining. Though I'd say that Rock's concert in Sacramento was better.

Raccoon1459

[89]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 22

The Rock knows how to get a crowd going.

Crulex1369

[90]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 26
    I think the Rock's Concert dragged a bit at the end, but both him and Cena were fun and I'm actually enjoying this. I missed Thugganomics Cena so damn much. Please do this more often Cena, it's what you're good at.

Clay needs to drop the squash matches soon and have an actual match. We get it, he's funky. Now let's see if he can go the distance for at least a good five minute match.

Undertaker may have slipped a bit with the date, but damn, the old timers can rock promos like no one else. It'll be a sad day on April 1st no matter who wins.

And I hope Jericho and Punk follow up on this idea of Jericho attacking Punk's straight-edge lifestyle.

SkinsFan2189

[91]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 16
    Rock's Concert > Cena's Rap

I don't think The Rock's segment went too long at all. In fact, I would've been okay with it going even longer.

lightning_kf

[92]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 36

telvisnostic wrote:

Otunga, the man who couldn't get heat from a stove.

Perhaps someone should tell him that getting 'juiced' up (which there's no way that body could be his) does not count as getting heat.

enervator

[93]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 38

SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    Rock's Concert > Cena's Rap I don't think The Rock's segment went too long at all. In fact, I would've been okay with it going even longer.

I think people have convinced themselves for so long that the answer to Cena's problems was bringing back the rapper gimmick that they might be overestimating what he did on Monday.

I see complaints all over the place about how immature the Rock's stuff was in this. And Cena's wasn't?

Edited on 03/14/2012 4:54am

telvisnostic

[94]Mar 14, 2012

lightning_kf wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    Otunga, the man who couldn't get heat from a stove.
    Perhaps someone should tell him that getting 'juiced' up (which there's no way that body could be his) does not count as getting heat.
    Hopefully it's not. I am really hoping.

telvisnostic

[95]Mar 14, 2012

Rock's segment was too long. His segment was decent. He didn't have to go 20 minutes to say something that would have been fine in less than 10. It's not 1998.

John's was good because his was short and to the point.

telvisnostic

[96]Mar 14, 2012

This sums it up for me:

Mike Johnson of PWinsider wrote:
    We opened with John Cena whipping out the old school Thuganomics look and demeanour for a "hip hop" set that pretty much was Cena freestyling off the top of his head ripping on Rock. Years ago, I actually was witness to Cena "battling" fans and he's great at pulling stuff out of nowhere, so I have no doubt this was all his material. The set was OK but Cena's attitude and intensity was off the charts, a stark reminder of what he could be if he wasn't playing "Shiny Happy Cena" all the time. For a PG show, at 9 PM, it was a racier segment than you'd expect but it was good. When it was done, you got the idea that Cena really wants to kick the hell out of the Rock. Thumbs up. While I don't know I'd want to see the hip hop stuff ever brought back again, I'd love to see that attitude brought back.

For people who liked the Rock segment more:

Then, we closed out with The Rock concert. As a segment, I loved it and thought it was extremely entertaining and funny. Rock's jabs at Cena's marriage and mom were great but it was something of a let down. Every week, it feels like one guy is out for blood and the other is out for jokes. This week, it was Rock out to make people laugh and while it was the best Rock promo on Raw since he returned, I didn't feel like this was going to increase anyone's interest in buying the PPV. If the material had been delivered by anyone else, it would have bombed. Johnson is just that good and off the charts as a performer. Once he ripped on Cena's wife, for Cena not to come out made him look bad. The closing sequence with Rock tripping over his words on a forced "We Will Rock You" takeoff was anti-climactic and flat. But, I appreciated the segment - I just didn't think it followed up on the intensity of the Cena promo and didn't seem designed to do anything but try and pop a nice overrun number.

Randyspeeps

[97]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 34
    enervator wrote:

SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    Rock's Concert > Cena's Rap I don't think The Rock's segment went too long at all. In fact, I would've been okay with it going even longer.

I think people have convinced themselves for so long that the answer to Cena's problems was bringing back the rapper gimmick that they might be overestimating what he did on Monday.

I see complaints all over the place about how immature the Rock's stuff was in this. And Cena's wasn't?

It appears that some people are bashing on the Rock because they see him as a threat to the current guys backstage. Cena is way more threatening. I tend to bash on Cena because he legitimately sucks at what he does.

The Rock is known for his long entertaining promos. His concerts? They were never 5 or 10 minutes. His Rock N' Sock connection stuff were never 5 or 10 minutes. They went on and on and on, and he gets away with it, because he has the rare ability to keep the audience entertained for that long. He's had segments like the one on Monday for years. It was the norm. It's the Rock. This may not be 1998, but Monday sure felt like it, and for that I thank him.

I've seen a lot of those immature reports too, and it's stupid. Cena's promo's are just as immature if not more. Let's not discount the garbage Cena has been spewing for the last year, or since his existence. If the Rock is immature, so is Cena. Difference is, Rock immaturity is amusing. Cena's comes off as dumb, and forced; which would explain his ten year old fan base.

SkinsFan2189

[98]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 16

Every week, it feels like one guy is out for blood and the other is out for jokes. This week, it was Rock out to make people laugh ... I just didn't think it followed up on the intensity of the Cena promo and didn't seem designed to do anything but try and pop a nice overrun number.

I'd have to disagree. I'm pretty sure they were both out for jokes this week and, except for the empty arena promo, it is all Cena has been out for. Especially this week. Not really sure how making fun of Rock's "boobies," movies, and threatening to stick his nuts in his face is being out for blood and not jokes...

I also think Rock's segment needed to be that long after Cena was out there for like 3 minutes. It made him look better the more songs he was able to sing.

And I hate Cena's Thuganomics gimmick just as much as his Super-Cena one. The guy is a clown no matter what persona he has.

Edited on 03/14/2012 7:55pm

telvisnostic

[99]Mar 14, 2012

Randyspeeps wrote:
    It appears that some people are bashing on the Rock because they see him as a threat to the current guys backstage. Cena is way more threatening. I tend to bash on Cena because he legitimately sucks at what he does. The Rock is known for his long entertaining promos. His concerts? They were never 5 or 10 minutes. His Rock N' Sock connection stuff were never 5 or 10 minutes. They went on and on and on, and he gets away with it, because he has the rare ability to keep the audience entertained for that long. He's had segments like the one on Monday for years. It was the norm. It's the Rock. This may not be 1998, but Monday sure felt like it, and for that I thank him.
    I was one of was one of the very few back then who thought his promos were too long. But that's just me. So that's why it did nothing for me. And you've seen my posts about promos being way too long too. His stuff wasn't even that funny either on Monday.

As for him being a threat, that I don't see. What I see is a fella being in a high profile match much like Jericho after a long ass sabbatical.

:
    I've seen a lot of those immature reports too, and it's stupid. Cena's promo's are just as immature if not more. Let's not discount the garbage Cena has been spewing for the last year, or since his existence. If the Rock is immature, so is Cena. Difference is, Rock immaturity is amusing. Cena's comes off as dumb, and forced; which would explain his ten year old fan base.
    And to me it seems that not many people want to give John props because it's just blind nonsense about his fanbase. When I have gone to the live shows, I've seen many grown men cheer him and lets not forget how many GROWN MEN in other sports use his 'you can't see me' hand thing too. So he appeals to others even with his stale gimmick.

I have yet to see those immature things. Mark Madden's thing was spot on though about his concert.

JLe1223

[100]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 20
    Cena became stale, to the point to even his thuganomics gimmick (which I liked) couldn't have me cheer him.