Monday 9:00 PM on USAIn Season

Royal Rumble 2013 PPV Discussion thread

SkinsFan2189

[61]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 16
    JLe1223 wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    Raccoon1459 wrote:
    Punk wasn't a bad champion. He's bad on the mic, but he wasn't a bad champion.
    You can't be serious. Punk is better on the mic than every other single wrestler in the WWE.

That's really not saying much, until his fued with The Rock I found somewhat bland on the mic.
    I disagree. He cut some good promos while he was injured. He did what he could when he was feuding with Ryback, who's awful on the mic. Ever since he turned heel, I feel all of his promos have been solid.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Randyspeeps

[62]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 34
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    I just can't see the triple threat taking place. WWE wants their Rock/Cena II. I can see Punk getting thrown in against Undertaker or HHH. Or, they'll just throw him in some other random match. Unfortunately, it would not surprise me at all if this was the end of Punk and he goes back to getting misused, just like he was pre-Money in the Bank 2011.
    Which is sad, because before his title reign the WWE Championship had little to no significance. During that time, the title was a side act to the feud. During Punk's reign the WWE Championship meant everything. I honestly believed that Punks title reign brought back some legitimacy to the WWE championship.

SkinsFan2189

[63]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 16
    Randyspeeps wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    I just can't see the triple threat taking place. WWE wants their Rock/Cena II. I can see Punk getting thrown in against Undertaker or HHH. Or, they'll just throw him in some other random match. Unfortunately, it would not surprise me at all if this was the end of Punk and he goes back to getting misused, just like he was pre-Money in the Bank 2011.
    Which is sad, because before his title reign the WWE Championship had little to no significance. During that time, the title was a side act to the feud. During Punk's reign the WWE Championship meant everything. I honestly believed that Punks title reign brought back some legitimacy to the WWE championship.
    And now it will go back to being the side act while Cena and Rock make poopy, gay, and balls jokes.

telvisnostic

[64]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 52

Deadnight-Majin wrote:
    Do they have any Madison Square Garden house shows booked before Mania? Rock would do one of those, but no where else untelevised.
    They might do it after the show. Not sure about before.

Deadnight-Majin wrote:
    Ryback winning would have been sweet. I really got behind Dolph too just because he'd been in there so long and I love that he does the superkick.
    If The Ryback had won, I'd have been so happy. He has had so many chances, but nothing yet.

I really thought Dolph was going to win. I snuck a peak, I was curious.

The Chris Adams kick is such a special move and when done right, it looks great.

Edited on 01/27/2013 8:29pm

slick14805

[65]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 19
    Good ppv, but with predictible results pretty much sums up the Royal Rumble.

Deadnight-Majin

[66]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 18

Randyspeeps wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:

I'm of the absolute opposite opinion. Punk's reign was when the WWE title was officially downgraded to intercontinental level while John Cena became the top prize in the company. It made sense for Cena's matches with Rock and Lesnar to go on last, but then it got to the point that WHATEVER Cena was doing was the main event, like his comedy match with Johnny Ace and random Big Show rematch. That sh*t wouldn't have happened back when the belt was on Trips, Jeff Hardy, Batista etc. The belt was only booked to look important when Cena was challenging for it or injured.

Now the belt is on Rock, someone who is presented as an absolute top star, it will actually be promoted as a world title for the first time since July 2011.

JandSman

[67]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 32
    I just really didn't like the finish of Rock vs Punk, I thought the match was poorly booked, and out of the Cena vs Punk matches and the Cena vs Rock match, and this match, this match was by far the worst. Before the match I thought Punk had a chance to win the match, but through out the match, Rock dominated and made Punk look pretty weak, I mean I don't think Punk even hit Rock with the GTS unless I missed something.

JLe1223

[68]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 20
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    JLe1223 wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    Raccoon1459 wrote:
    You can't be serious. Punk is better on the mic than every other single wrestler in the WWE.

That's really not saying much, until his fued with The Rock I found somewhat bland on the mic.
    I disagree. He cut some good promos while he was injured. He did what he could when he was feuding with Ryback, who's awful on the mic. Ever since he turned heel, I feel all of his promos have been solid.

For me his promos were repetive, saying "RESPECT ME!!!" without telling us why over and over again. He did have a nice promo here and there. But it just felt boring. Espcially when you consider the fact that a lot of his victories lately were cheap.

goldenagenick24

[69]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 17

Cena Won Rumble

Rock won title

Hell No! retianed

Del rio retains

No love for the bad guys. Poor match between Punk and Rock. The Rumble was ruined because the predictable winner won when there was absolutely NO reason for him to win. Does Cena really need a Rumble win to say he's main eventing Wrestlemania? Now Team Hell No! continues which further delays the return to singles for Daniel Bryan. Wade Barrett-Bo Dallas feud?

The only thing I liked about this rumble was Goldust-Cody.

Raccoon1459

[70]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 22
    Randyspeeps wrote:
    Raccoon1459 wrote:
    I would've preferred anyone but Cena to win.
    That's how I've felt since 2005.

Same here. There was a time when I tolerated Cena, but that was a long time ago. Back when he was U.S Champ.

spideynerd3

[71]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 29
    JLe1223 wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    JLe1223 wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:
    Raccoon1459 wrote:

For me his promos were repetive, saying "RESPECT ME!!!" without telling us why over and over again. He did have a nice promo here and there. But it just felt boring. Espcially when you consider the fact that a lot of his victories lately were cheap.

Where have you been the last year? CM Punk turned Heel on the 1,000th episode of Raw which was during the Summer of 2012. Before that he was a Face, and he PROVED why he deserved the WWE Championship. The respect angle made perfect sense, he was the WWE Champion, and he wasn't being respected by the people that be at the WWE. It eventually turned into the "the fans don't respect me" thing as well, but even then every promo he made got better and better. His victories were cheap thanks to stupid booking from the WWE. The WORST of his matches in all of his 434 days as the Champion was the one last night where he was literally booked to look like he had never faced anyone else for the title before. The Rock did all the work, and wouldn't even allow for Punk to hit the GTS. Then don't even get me started on the supposed "Shield" attack. Yes, it was the Shield that attacked him, but THE LIGHTS WERE OUT. Unless you have night vision goggles, or a camera that takes pictures in the dark, you can't know that. Cole screaming "IT'S THE SHIELD! IT'S THE SHIELD!" made no sense seeing as how unless Cole has gained Night Vision Powers, or bought a camera, he shouldn't have been able to see who it was. Lawler said NOTHING, and JBL acted like Rock slipped and fell through the table himself. So many other people turn the lights out, so how is the Shield the first to come to mind? An investigation should have happened, and Punk should have been given the win. The ending of the match ruined the whole match, which actually wasn't that bad, aside from being Rock dominated. Better than Rock/Cena that's for sure.

Best thing of the night was Jericho's shocking return.

Randyspeeps

[72]Jan 28, 2013

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Randyspeeps wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:

I'm of the absolute opposite opinion. Punk's reign was when the WWE title was officially downgraded to intercontinental level while John Cena became the top prize in the company. It made sense for Cena's matches with Rock and Lesnar to go on last, but then it got to the point that WHATEVER Cena was doing was the main event, like his comedy match with Johnny Ace and random Big Show rematch. That sh*t wouldn't have happened back when the belt was on Trips, Jeff Hardy, Batista etc. The belt was only booked to look important when Cena was challenging for it or injured.

Now the belt is on Rock, someone who is presented as an absolute top star, it will actually be promoted as a world title for the first time since July 2011.

I can understand your dissent, but the key point is the legitimization of the belt. While card placement is important, and the WWE missed the mark with that, it's not the only factor. The feuds with CM Punk were about the WWE Championship. His title reign was made important by the length of it. Punk's reign was about being champion at all costs because the title meant something to him. Prior to his reign, who gave a damn about the title? The title was the side show in every single feud. Prior to his reign guys fought for all kinds of reason, the fact that the WWE championship was there was a bonus. With Punk as Champion, the title was at the forefront of every feud.

Edited on 01/28/2013 12:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Deadnight-Majin

[73]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 18

Randyspeeps wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Randyspeeps wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:

I can understand your dissent, but the key point is the legitimization of the belt. While card placement is important, and the WWE missed the mark with that, it's not the only factor. The feuds with CM Punk were about the WWE Championship. His title reign was made important by the length of it. Punk's reign was about being champion at all costs because the title meant something to him. Prior to his reign, who gave a damn about the title? The title was the side show in every single feud. Prior to his reign guys fought for all kinds of reason, the fact that the WWE championship was there was a bonus. With Punk as Champion, the title was at the forefront of every feud.

True, the reign was about the belt, but the belt was an afterthought even the night he picked up. Backtracking to Punk's run into Money In The Bank 2011, the belt seemed like a big deal. Punk was taking the title and leaving, which was put over as a massive damage to the company. That night came off perfectly, then the followup was a bit muddled, but still, CM Punk and the WWE title came off as a huge deal.

Fast forward to Survivor Series 2011, and it's all about Rock and Cena tagging against Miz and R Truth of all people. Punk taking the belt from the really not over Del Rio in a mediocre midcard match seemed like such an afterthought. Things looked up when he main evented TLC with no Cena in sight, but he fell off the radar then, with everything he and the belt doing being totally overshadowed by the man presented as the real main attraction; Cena. It was like 2008 all over again.

Prior to Punk winning the title, it was on the top star, the man presented as the ace of the company; Cena. The belt meant nothing when Miz or Sheamus had it, the last person to have a meaningful reign with the belt was Orton. By the way, I've lost my train of thought now and I'm basically rambling, but I definitely did have a point somewhere along the way haha

Edited on 01/28/2013 1:00pm

Randyspeeps

[74]Jan 28, 2013

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Randyspeeps wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Randyspeeps wrote:
    SkinsFan2189 wrote:

True, the reign was about the belt, but the belt was an afterthought even the night he picked up. Backtracking to Punk's run into Money In The Bank 2011, the belt seemed like a big deal. Punk was taking the title and leaving, which was out over as a massive damage to the company. That night came off perfectly, then the followup was a bit muddled, but still, CM Punk and the WWE title came off as a huge deal.

Fast forward to Survivor Series 2011, and it's all about Rock and Cena tagging against Miz and R Truth of all people. Punk taking the belt from the really not over Del Rio in a mediocre midcard match seemed like such an afterthought. Things looked up when he main evented TLC with no Cena in sight, but he fell off the radar then, with everything he and the belt doing being totally overshadowed by the man presented as the real main attraction; Cena. It was like 2008 all over again.

Prior to Punk winning the title, it was on the top star, the man presented as the ace of the company; Cena. The belt meant nothing when Miz or Sheamus had it, the last person to have a meaningful reign with the belt was Orton. By the way, I've lost my train of thought now and I'm basically rambling, but I definitely did have a point somewhere along the way haha

I bought into your argument when you said the last meaningful title reign was Orton's.

I get your point and have to agree that the WWE did make CM Punk as Champion position in the company seem less than it should have been.

Edited on 01/28/2013 12:52pm