WWE Monday Night RAW Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on USAIn Season

The Possible Reason Why They Use Twitter So Much

telvisnostic

[1]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 52

PWinsider wrote:
    As many of you have notice, WWE has taken to promoting what WWE-centric personalities and topics are trending on Twitter with on screen graphics and mentions during comments, a promotion that began on Sunday's Vengeance PPV.

It would appear that the cross-promotion is not the company looking to show how hip they are, but is instead could be part of a deal to cross-promote Twitter.

In recent weeks, it was revealed that one of the things Twitter is doing to remain relevant and grow is to reach out to influential personalities, including actors, to get them on board with the micro-blogging service as a way to grow users and eventually design ways to advertise directly to their followers. The personalities who do so would then receive better "real estate" in Twitter searches.

It's certainly not a stretch to see WWE's integration of Twitter into their programming as the company's version of exactly that strategy, pushing their own "Universe" towards that end. WWE moves their audience to join Twitter and utilize its services and in turn, their brand awareness within Twitter users and searches grow, helping make the company get in front of new eyeballs beyond their own audience.

Twitter's Busines Plans

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Deadnight-Majin

[2]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 18

If that's true, at least the overkill is somewhat justified.

enervator

[3]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 38

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I think the way WWE is doing this is making both them and Twitter look pretty ridiculous and desperate. They should be trying to seamlessly work the mentions into the conversation. Instead, it's coming off as much too forced.

This is basically what they're doing:

Cole: I'm on Twitter.
    King: I'm on Twitter too.
    Cole: I just tweeted.
    King: I just tweeted about you tweeting.
    Cole: I just tweeted about you tweeting about me tweeting.
    King: Hey, look! "Two idiots tweeting about tweeting" is trending on Twitter.
    Cole: Those two sound really pathetic.

TwistofFate14

[4]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 15
    enervator wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I think the way WWE is doing this is making both them and Twitter look pretty ridiculous and desperate. They should be trying to seamlessly work the mentions into the conversation. Instead, it's coming off as much too forced.

Raccoon1459

[6]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 22
    Nobody loves Twitter as much as WWE does.

telvisnostic

[7]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 52

I think ESPN gives them a run for their money. ESPN just doesn't yell out every 5 minutes.

Deadnight-Majin

[8]Oct 26, 2011

enervator wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Hahaha, very true.

Wisp955

[9]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 11

enervator wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Try saying that three times fast.

It really is annoying hearing them talk about Twitter every two seconds.

TwistofFate14

[10]Oct 26, 2011
    Wisp955 wrote:

enervator wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Try saying that three times fast.

Lol. Tounge Twister.

Crulex1369

[11]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 26
    ^
    Twistoffate Typed Tounge Twister.

Now try saying THAT three times fast.

TwistofFate14

[12]Oct 27, 2011
    Crulex1369 wrote:
    ^
    Twistoffate Typed Tounge Twister.

Now try saying THAT three times fast.
    I'm not even going to try.

slick14805

[13]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 19
    I'm not a big fan of this Twitter movement they are doing right now. I found it annoying when they would show a pop-up saying what's trending right now. Then Cole kept complaining about JR having a Twitter war of words with him. Definitely took away some enjoyment out of me while watching the show.

Randyspeeps

[14]Oct 30, 2011
    • level: 34
    I understand the logic behind it, but the delivery is all wrong. It's like they are trying to shove Twitter down our throats.

Deadnight-Majin

[15]Oct 30, 2011

Wrestlecrap wrote:
    MICHAEL COLE'S HOUSE WILL HAVE PLENTY OF "TRICK OR TWEETERS" THIS YEAR

By Justin Henry

Amenia, NY – Children who go trick or treating this year in Michael Cole's neck of the woods had

best be prepared for a social networking experience to go along with the candy.

The media-affirmed WWE announcer plans on turning this year's Halloween experience into a worldwide global phenomenon, not unlike what WWE has claimed to be millions of times.

"I'm very excited to do this for the Neighborhood Universe, because the demand has been overwhelming for quite some time now," Cole said. "I'm hoping the first batch of trick or treaters provides memorable fodder for me to tweet about, so that we can get trending in a hurry."

But the question is: what is there to tweet about?

"Let's say a kid shows up dressed as, I don't know, who's the most important star in the world…..Johnny De--, no….Justin Bei….hmm, no…..John Cena. Let's say a kid shows up dressed as Cena. I'll tweet something like #KidInCenaCostume on my personal account and, within minutes of pushing it, I'll announce that "Kid in Cena Costume" is trending WORLDWIDE on Twitter. The purpose of this is….uhh….to show how hip myself and the WWE are. Beyond that, as long as we appear hip, that's all that matters."

Cole also explained that the trending will not be limited to just costume selections.

"I'll also tweet about the candy being given out. This year, the wife and I bought heavy on mini Snickers and Three Musketeers. If we tweet about them, boom, future sponsorships for WWE right there. And with the Three Musketeers movie coming out, there's crossover potential. Did somebody say "Guest hosts" and "swordfight between Hornswoggle and a soon-to-be-fired Heath Slater"? I know I did! And it's trending WORLDWIDE on Twitter!

enervator

[16]Oct 30, 2011
    • level: 38

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Wrestlecrap wrote:
    MICHAEL COLE'S HOUSE WILL HAVE PLENTY OF "TRICK OR TWEETERS" THIS YEAR

By Justin Henry

Amenia, NY – Children who go trick or treating this year in Michael Cole's neck of the woods had

best be prepared for a social networking experience to go along with the candy.

The media-affirmed WWE announcer plans on turning this year's Halloween experience into a worldwide global phenomenon, not unlike what WWE has claimed to be millions of times.

"I'm very excited to do this for the Neighborhood Universe, because the demand has been overwhelming for quite some time now," Cole said. "I'm hoping the first batch of trick or treaters provides memorable fodder for me to tweet about, so that we can get trending in a hurry."

But the question is: what is there to tweet about?

"Let's say a kid shows up dressed as, I don't know, who's the most important star in the world…..Johnny De--, no….Justin Bei….hmm, no…..John Cena. Let's say a kid shows up dressed as Cena. I'll tweet something like #KidInCenaCostume on my personal account and, within minutes of pushing it, I'll announce that "Kid in Cena Costume" is trending WORLDWIDE on Twitter. The purpose of this is….uhh….to show how hip myself and the WWE are. Beyond that, as long as we appear hip, that's all that matters."

Cole also explained that the trending will not be limited to just costume selections.

"I'll also tweet about the candy being given out. This year, the wife and I bought heavy on mini Snickers and Three Musketeers. If we tweet about them, boom, future sponsorships for WWE right there. And with the Three Musketeers movie coming out, there's crossover potential. Did somebody say "Guest hosts" and "swordfight between Hornswoggle and a soon-to-be-fired Heath Slater"? I know I did! And it's trending WORLDWIDE on Twitter!

That would actually be completely believable if they referred to Cole's life partner instead of his wife.

lightning_kf

[17]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 36

enervator wrote:

Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Pretty much, this.

Jim856796

[18]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 14
    Does anyone think that the Twitter username of Dolph Ziggler uses, "HEELZiggler", is a dead giveaway? Because I heard from Nodq.com tonight that Vince is wanting certain Superstars to change their Twitter usernames. Also, the word "HEEL" would not work if Dolph Ziggler were babyface, but I doubt that DZ is gonna turn face soon.