WWE Pay-Per-View Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on In Season

Official WWE released superstar thread

pitbull3

[1]Nov 7, 2008
    • level: 41
    WWE.com has announced that they have released Chuck Palumbo, Paul London, and Super Crazy, and I have read on other site that more may come, SO for now if anybody is released and wwe.com announces it post and discuss here. What are your thoughts on the releases?
    Edited on 02/20/2009 5:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Nov 8, 2008
    • level: 52

I did read that Super Crazy requested his release due to him not being happy and he waived his 90 day no compete clause as well. SC is awesome and can put it down better than most. AAA is where he might be going.

As for Chuck, it was just a matter of time. AAA might be the way to go for him too. He was OK.

Paul is also awesome, but it was also a matter of time. Ever since that heat he got a from a while back, they've barely used him and he's really talented too. I see him going to ROH or PWG. I would have loved for he & Chuck to go to ECW though, but alas it was not meant to be.

pitbull3

[3]Nov 8, 2008
    I could see London and Chuck end up going to TNA, if not atleast one of the two.

telvisnostic

[4]Nov 8, 2008
    I'd say Paul.

pitbull3

[5]Nov 10, 2008
    The following is grom WWE.com

World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of SmackDown Superstar Kenny Dykstra and ECW's Elijah Burke and Lena Yada as of Nov. 10, 2008. WWE wishes them the best in all future endeavors.

pitbull3

[6]Nov 10, 2008
    Source: FOX Business News

Linda McMahon was on the FOX Business channel this afternoon to discuss WWE's financial strategy moving forward. McMahon said the future of WWE will be expanding their international touring, which will come at the expense of $20 million in budget cuts.

"We are reviewing all of our business lines, going through all of our operational structure, and we will take out $20 million in our operational cost structure next year," McMahon said. "We are looking at at least $20 million operational cost structure cut."

When asked whether the soft economy is a factor in their recent drop in earnings, McMahon said WWE tries to keep ticket prices down and tries to vary which markets they tour in. "We are looking across all of our revenue lines and we're going to keep costs down to manage that bottom line," McMahon said.

In the past week, WWE has released Super Crazy, Chuck Palumbo, Paul London, Kenny Dykstra, Elijah Burke and Lena Yada. Linda McMahon's statement that WWE is looking to cut upto $20 million in ooperational costs ties into several reports out there that more cuts are on the way.

pitbull3

[7]Nov 13, 2008
    Here are some updates from various sites:

Paul London had been in the dog house with WWE pretty much since he smiled on a live shoot during the infamous pre-Vince McMahon limo explosion angle in June of 2007. Everyone on the roster was told to be backstage for that live shot (the limo explosion had been shot the night before) and to have a look of disdain as Vince walked by. London had a big grin on his face and many looked at that as the beginning of the end for him. He also had heat before that when he was told to deliver a heartfelt promo about losing the Cruiserweight title, but turned it into a goofy comedy promo that the company didn't like. London was often described as having no instincts as a performer and how his character should be doing promos despite many feeling he had tons of ability as a performer. Others stated London was labeled as a complainer backstage, especially when he requested time off on a few occasions which the common rule is you don't ask for unless you are experiencing burnout and labels you as someone you can't fully trust to get behind. London reportedly asked for the time off as he wasn't sure he wanted to commit his life to pro wrestling. While Vince agreed to give him time off, he came back looking ready to go and then a month later people felt the same issues he had before were returning. Believe it or not, his former relationship with Ashley Massaro scored him some negative points backstage. There were plans within WWE to push London and Brian Kendrick as the next Rock & Roll Express style tag team, but those plans were dropped after London didn't perform well in numerous promos that never ended up airing. One source described London as a headache to work with among creative. Regarding the release of ECW backstage announcer Lena Yada, there are two reasons behind her departure from World Wrestling Entertainments (besides the cost cutting measure).

The company wanted to eventually use her as a wrestler. Though obviously athletic due to her time as a former top ranked professional tandem surfer, she had not progressed much as a wrestler. There were actually ideas tossed around to capitalize on her surfing background, but Vince McMahon nixed them immediately and the creative team got the message. This time last year, McMahon had to be convinced to sign her to a contract coming off her tenure in the Diva Search. The creative team lobbied for her, saying she had a unique look that stood out among your usual blond silicone Diva types. The lobbying paid off as she was signed to a deal and started on television at the start of 2008 -- even before the official WWE debut of 2007 Diva Search winner Eve Torres.

Following the news of Yada's departure from World Wrestling Entertainment, a number of fans speculated online that Yada was being let go as a result of the recent hiring of former TNA Knockout Gail Kim, who is of course Asian too. As it turns out, the speculation appears to be correct. According to one source, as soon as WWE signed Gail Kim (who is indeed under contract to the company), both Vince and Stephanie McMahon felt there was no reason to have Yada on the roster anymore since "they looked too much alike."

Yada technically participated in her first wrestling match at last Monday's Raw in the 16-Diva tag match. However, she was not tagged in. Although, her team won, so she has the rare distinction of being undefeated in WWE competition alongside Braden Walker and Frankie Kazarian.

She's since logged on to her MySpace page, but hasn't spoken out out or removed the numerous WWE references on the page, including the headline that reads "It's all about the ECW...." and her profile photo being a graphic of herself informing people to tune into ECW every Tuesday on Sci Fi.

Lena Yada was released a year to the date of her hiring -- November 10, 2007. It was also her birthday this past week as she turned 30 years old on Wednesday.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Regarding last week's departure of Chuck Palumbo, apparently, his contract recently expired and it was widely assumed he wouldn't be signed to a new one because the company hadn't done anything with him in months.

Palumbo was said to be the typical idea of what Johnny Ace thinks a wrestler should look like because he's big and tall. Of course, his perception is based on Vince McMahon's perception of what a WWE wrestler should look like. After being released in '04, Palumbo returned to the company in the spring of '06. At the time, WWE was looking for "big" wrestlers as opposed to juiced up wrestlers, what with the Wellness Policy in effect. That explains how the likes of Bull Buchanan and Henry O. Godwinn got tryouts that year. Also, Palumbo had a brother in the military, which might have helped his cause in landing a job. Despite not being employed in late '05, for some reason JBL made a comment saying one of the company's wrestlers had a brother in the military, in reference to Palumbo. Rumors then started up on WWE being interested in him, and he was eventually signed.

Anyway, McMahon liked Palumbo's biker gimmick at first, but the creative team was said to never be high on him, believing he'd never get over, and McMahon eventually lost interest in him as well. Palumbo seemed to have a good thing going in his program with Jamie Noble, but it wavered off and he soon got lost in the shuffle after a brief angle with Finlay. Following his brief angle with Finlay, Palumbo was drafted to Raw, but not used on television once, only working a handful of house shows.

In an ironic twist, Palumbo was drafted to the Raw brand in July 2004, but didn't appear on Raw a single time. He primarily wrestled on Heat where he developed a car mechanic/enthusiast gimmick. He was released in November of that year during a talent purge as well.

Regarding his future in wrestling, as reported earlier, Palumbo is trying to land a job in Mexico, but it may prove to be difficult. Rey Mysterio, through his connections, is trying to help him get a job in AAA, but the promotion has already turned down several ROH wrestlers and there's a moratorium on bringing in any more foreigners in as regulars. Also, former WWE wrestler Mark Jindrak (a.k.a. "Marco Corleone") is trying to get Palumbo in CMLL.

Recently released WWE superstar Kenny Dykstra posted the following on his Myspace page today in regards to his WWE release:

Believe it or not, I actually am happy to be gone from WWE," he wrote. "I dont have to do things around their schedule and I dont have to answer to anybody. I have never felt so free in my entire life. I had been working with WWE since I was 16 so I've never really known anything else.

"I did have fun with WWE but the creative side never used me properly or really gave me an opportunity to get over. It sucks when you know your better than the majority and your only used to make people look good. Will I stay wrestling? I'm not sure. WWE kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth after all the politics and garbage that can go on. I may try to go to TNA but we will see. I have 90 days to think about it and possibly try."

pitbull3

[8]Nov 18, 2008
    Armando Estrada was released today according to wwe.com

pitbull3

[9]Nov 19, 2008
    rumors were that estrada and Deuce were going to be the next two released well now of the the 2 are gone. I can see Deuce getting released sometime over the next few fays. Heres who I see getting released soon.

Raweuce,Paul Burchill, Snitsky

Smackdown: Ryan Braddock,Scotty Goldman(sadly),maybe the Edge heads

ECW: Bam Neely, Boogeyman, Gavin Spears

lightning_kf

[10]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 36
    Pfft. Snitsky?

He should've been released in 2005. What makes you think they'd get rid of him now?

pitbull3

[11]Nov 29, 2008
    I don't know I just have a feeling

pitbull3

[12]Dec 11, 2008
    World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of Raw Superstar Gene Snitsky as of today, December 11. WWE wishes Gene the best in all future endeavors. wwe.com

lightning_kf

[13]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 36
    pitbull3 wrote:
    World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of Raw Superstar Gene Snitsky as of today, December 11. WWE wishes Gene the best in all future endeavors. wwe.com

HALLELUJAH!!!!!

YamiGuzz

[14]Dec 24, 2008
    • level: 15
    i dunno chuck could do something in tna i think

telvisnostic

[15]Dec 25, 2008
    I think Chuck could be good anywhere.

pitbull3

[16]Jan 9, 2009
    -- WWE has parted ways with another referee. ECW brand referee Mike Posey was released from the company today. Fans may also remember him from his time in TNA Wrestling. WWE released former ECW referee Keenan Quinn yesterday. A decision was recently made to pull back on the number of referees brought on the road per week due to the company's economic cutback initiative. Additional talent releases in all areas, including road agents & producers, are expected to be made later today.

According to Mike Johnson of PWInsider.com, former ECW referee Keenan Quinn who had been sent back down to Florida Championship Wrestling when the decision was made to use a singular crew of referees for a loop, as opposed to a separate collection of referees for each brand as part of WWE's economic cutbacks, was released this week.

credit: pwmania

pitbull3

[17]Jan 9, 2009
    World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of Raw Superstar D-Lo Brown and ECW Superstar Bam Neely as of Jan. 9, 2009. WWE wishes them the best in all future endeavors.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/dloreleased

pitbull3

[18]Jan 9, 2009
    Val Venis is been released wwe.com

pitbull3

[19]Jan 14, 2009
    (Source: PWInsider.com)

Sgt. Slaughter and Ron Simmons can be added to the list of recent WWE releases.

Sgt. Slaughter had been working as a producer (agent) for several years and also made the occasional in-ring and on-camera appearances.

Ron Simmons had been making sporadic TV appearances with the "DAMN!" gimmick and had also done some promotional work for WWE in the last year or so.

pitbull3

[20]Jan 15, 2009
    (Source: PWInsider.com)

WWE has released British developmental wrestler Hade Vansen. WWE ran a bizarre vignette on his planned character on SmackDown a few weeks ago.

WWE had plans for his dark character with cult-esque overtones to engage in a feud with Undertaker, but Vince McMahon halted the direction following the initial vignette. McMahon didn't want new talent from developmental to be put in such a major angle before being tested and then trusted enough to carry the ball.

SmackDown creative team writer Michael Hayes came up with the idea for the storyline. He had plans for Kevin Fertig (a.k.a. Kevin Thorn) and the large masked developmental wrestler Black Pain to be associated with Vansen in some form before the character and direction were dropped. WWE released Fertig last week as well, so only Black Pain remains.

Vansen was signed to a developmental contract in May 2007 following a successful tryout during WWE's European tour. Vansen missed most of 2008 due to injury before returning in December.