Xena: Warrior Princess

A Day in the Life

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 17, 1997 on

• In this great, lighthearted episode, we spend a day in the lives of Xena and Gabrielle, as they squabble and bicker while simultaneously trying to save two villages from a giant and a warlord's men respectively. One of the very best comedy offerings...

Well, where to begin... This excellent comedy is one of the show's very best lighthearted episodes, and became an immediate fan favourite with many.

We get the idea of the sort of thing we're in for when, straight off at the start, Xena uses her and Gabrielle's only frying pan as a chakram to see off a bunch of would-be attackers – which sets Gabrielle off complaining that they no longer have a frying pan for the rest of the episode.

Although there is the warlord and the giant to take care of in due course, what is novel about this story is that there isn't the usual pressing danger story-line. Instead, things drift on at a whimsical (but far from boring) pace, as we see 'a day in the life' of Xena and Gabrielle (well, the episode title tells us that much)!

The story is directed by Michael Hurst, best known as 'Hercules: The Legendary Journeys'' Iolaus. Hurst had already directed 'Hercules'' great third season opener 'Mercenary', and is right at home her with the humorous tone of this episode.

There is another good moment as Gabrielle complains that every village looks the same – a reference to the same village sets often being used over and over again on 'Xena' and 'Hercules'. (However, ironically, the particular village set seen in this episode hasn't been seen before this point).

Whilst deciding on their plan (another great moment as Gabrielle questions why Xena can't ever use the same plan twice!), the pair take a bath – something that would pop up in several future such comedy episodes.

Gareth, "the world's biggest giant" that Xena must stop, was originally intended to appear earlier in the season in 'Giant Killer'. However, that episode was badly over-running and it was decided that he wasn't needed for that story; so he was cut and used here instead.

There are so many other great moments that I could comment on (Xena using one of Gabrielle's scrolls for her toiletry needs; Gabrielle continually trying to catch Xena out and hit her with her staff; the continuing 'who am I' game)... it would just end up as one long list, there are so many!

The template of this comical episode would be reused several times to form a couple of in-the-same-vein sort-of sequels.
    To sum up, of the series' many comedy-based episodes, this is one of the very best (in many ways possibly even THE best, in my opinion).