Xena: Warrior Princess

A Day in the Life

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 17, 1997 on

• An absolute Xena classic - you cannot help but fall in love with this episode.

In a season with so many great episodes, and so much to offer, A Day In the Life stands out a mile. It is another of THOSE episodes – those unforgettable absolutely adored episodes that are the epitome of Xena. The episodes that make this list make the rest of the series fade away into the background because they are just so exceptional. This is one of them. What I love about Xena is that it can do an episode like Destiny which tugs at every emotion, leaving you emotionally drained but at the same time touching your heart and soul, and can then shift to an equally exceptional episode like this one which is just as lovable, but for such different reasons!

From the opening scenes this is a great, really genuinely funny episode. Some of my most favorite moments in the series are the everyday, intimate Xena-Gabrielle moments. It is their relationship that makes the series for me, so as much as I like the action scenes, I would take their special/simple moments any day. Campfire conversations, watching them shop in villages, or fight over simple things are so good to watch – and this episode is all about that!

Being the sub-texter that I am, I love all the innuendos, and cheeky side-comments designed and included to let you know that there is much more to Xena and Gabrielle's relationship than meets the eye. Gabrielle trying to convince Hower to lose interest in Xena with her "she likes what I do" comments; Minya's "Hower's mine, she's yours" all, in my opinion, just reinforce what was trying to be achieved in The Quest: Xena and Gabrielle are more than just friends traveling together, they are a couple. Season 2 really started to have a lot more focus on the girls' relationship; even though the later seasons (particularly season 6) are thought of as the seasons that really leaned heavily towards a sexual relationship between the two, season 2 is also sub-text heavy with a very clear message in mind.

Every scene in this episode is funny, clever and thoughtful. I could go on to mention every scene, and could quote from every one, they are just that good. Lucy and Renee are just remarkable – their chemistry is just amazing, they work together so well and so convincingly, and are such amazing comediennes. The whole episode has such a great feel to it.

My one small complaint about this episode (isn't there always one?) is Minya. I know what the writers were aiming to achieve with her, but she is just SO ANNOYING! I found her funny at times, but most of the time I just wished they would switch back to the Xena-Gabrielle action. Then to have the writers later use Minya as a recurring character was quite a disappointment to me. However, having said that, the more I watch this episode, the less Minya bothers me, and I can now accept her for the comedic character that she is, without letting her spoil a brilliant episode.

This episode is just so much fun; I loved almost every minute of it. Season 2 has turned out to be such a joy to watch, and writing reviews has given me the chance to really start to appreciate it as a season; before this, season 1 and 2 were easily, in my opinion, the weakest seasons. I now have to strongly disagree because they have so many fantastic episodes, great themes, brilliant actors etc etc. that they stand alone as outstanding Xena in every respect. The simple fact remains that there are NO bad or weak seasons of Xena. Every season was different, exciting and wonderful to watch.