Xena: Warrior Princess

Adventures in the Sin Trade (1)

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 1998 on

• Distraught over the loss of Gabrielle, Xena attempts to travel to the Amazon Land of the Dead to find her deceased friend, along the way recalling her past and how she met the shaman Alti. I'll dare to say it – I don't like this episode much at all...

5.9
    I know many will disagree, but I really don't care for this episode much at all. It is very heavy going, and half the time it's hard to even tell what's supposed to be going on.

Don't get me wrong, it is impressive visually, and they've tried to go for the epic scope that worked so well in the second season's 'Destiny', and season three's 'The Debt' two-parter. But this one just doesn't work for me.

The first season, Renée O'Connor credit-less opening credits are used on this story, giving us a clue that everyone's favourite bard won't be returning, at least not yet.

This episode includes some of the darkest and strongest (graphically) material seen in the series, with the stalking of the deer, the killing of the horse and the drinking of its blood et al. Here in the United Kingdom, when broadcast (finally) by Channel 5, a warning was given out beforehand that it was the material was stronger than usual (but even then, they made several edits).

I know many will lap this sort of episode up, but for me – while I respect what they're going for – it's just not one of my favourites. Even worse, we have to sit through Part II before normal service is resumed.